Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing 2017 success stories

Amazing 2017 success stories

Despite the fact that the Swans overall haven't had a great year so far (although it is certainly trending in the right direction), there are a couple of players that have been brilliant.

Nic Newman had never played an AFL game before this year and was only elevated from the rookie listed in the off season. He debuted R2 v Bulldogs and since then has missed only Rounds 5 & 7. Despite his relative inexperience and having missed 3 games, despite having been dropped twice as well as being omitted from the Round 1 side, I was blown away to discover he is the Swans player with the most votes in the AFLCA player of the year count!

The other player who has really lifted his game to another level this year and would have to be on track for a podium finish in the B&F (for the first time) is Jakey Lloyd. Sensational season. He currently ranks top 10 in the entire AFL for most effective disposals this season. He is also ranked top 12 in the entire AFL in another 6 statistical categories: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/p...ns--jake-lloyd! It was impressive when he snuck up to 7th finish in the B&F last year, ahead of Tom Mitchell. I almost thought that was some kind of a fluke - but it certainly wasn't. If he doesn't win the B&F he will certainly be the most improved of all the players in the best 22 last year with Zak Jones (who has also had an excellent season) a distant second.

They are the standouts, but the other two players I would like to highlight who is having a season far better than could have been forecast are Will Hayward and Lewis Melican. Hayward is the youngest player on our list and still only 18 years old but he has played more games than Nic Newman. He is not yet one of our best players but he has certainly done more than enough to justify his selection each week and, as a first year player, that is an outstanding effort. Last year it was said he needed to work on his fitness. Apparently one of the reasons we selected him was because he did that. Apparently he did a good job because he has made the transition to AFL level and has not missed a game since his debut in round 2. The class and effort and skill he shows each week (especially last week!) are enough to bring joy to any Swans fan's heart.

Melican is yet another success story. We took him with pick 52 in the 2015 rookie draft (the same rookie draft that netted us Nic Newman and Jordan Foote - nice going recruiters!) His first couple of years were marred by injury and despite a couple of industry wiseheads giving him a good rap and some consequent upbeat accompanying expectations, he sunk into relative obscurity over 2015-2016. We didn't give up on him but his day in the sun did not appear to be imminent at the end of last year, at least not before the NEAFL GF. However he obviously had a great off-season and earned his way into the seniors during the JLT series. He didn't keep his place for Round 1 but he kept working away. Come round 5 v Giants he won his debut ahead of players like the more celebrated Aliir Aliir, the more experienced Michael Talia and the higher draft pick, Jack Maibaum. Despite losing to GWS, he kept his place all the way up until last week and we will find out later today whether he will be recalled to face the Dons tomorrow night. Any which way you look at it, it has been a breakout season for him and another big win for the Swans and our recruiting staff.

Other noteable mentions: Jordan Dawson who is having a sensational year in the NEAFL and has also played his first AFL game; Sam Murray who is tearing it up in the twos in his second year at the club; Isaac Heeney and Tom Papley who are developing and improving on their 2016 seasons with Papley justifying an opportunity to play in the midfield as well as forward and Heeney moving into the midfield full-time with great success. Also great to Sam Reid back on the park. Sam Fisher. Toby Pink (in my book anyway). RHYCE SHAW!! You got more?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Despite the fact that the Swans overall haven't had a great year so far (although it is certainly trending in the right direction), there are a couple of players that have been brilliant.

Nic Newman had never played an AFL game before this year and was only elevated from the rookie listed in the off season. He debuted R2 v Bulldogs and since then has missed only Rounds 5 & 7. Despite his relative inexperience and having missed 3 games, despite having been dropped twice as well as being omitted from the Round 1 side, I was blown away to discover he is the Swans player with the most votes in the AFLCA player of the year count!

The other player who has really lifted his game to another level this year and would have to be on track for a podium finish in the B&F (for the first time) is Jakey Lloyd. Sensational season. He currently ranks top 10 in the entire AFL for most effective disposals this season. He is also ranked top 12 in the entire AFL in another 6 statistical categories: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/p...ns--jake-lloyd! It was impressive when he snuck up to 7th finish in the B&F last year, ahead of Tom Mitchell. I almost thought that was some kind of a fluke - but it certainly wasn't. If he doesn't win the B&F he will certainly be the most improved of all the players in the best 22 last year with Zak Jones (who has also had an excellent season) a distant second.

They are the standouts, but the other two players I would like to highlight who is having a season far better than could have been forecast are Will Hayward and Lewis Melican. Hayward is the youngest player on our list and still only 18 years old but he has played more games than Nic Newman. He is not yet one of our best players but he has certainly done more than enough to justify his selection each week and, as a first year player, that is an outstanding effort. Last year it was said he needed to work on his fitness. Apparently one of the reasons we selected him was because he did that. Apparently he did a good job because he has made the transition to AFL level and has not missed a game since his debut in round 2. The class and effort and skill he shows each week (especially last week!) are enough to bring joy to any Swans fan's heart.

Melican is yet another success story. We took him with pick 52 in the 2015 rookie draft (the same rookie draft that netted us Nic Newman and Jordan Foote - nice going recruiters!) His first couple of years were marred by injury and despite a couple of industry wiseheads giving him a good rap and some consequent upbeat accompanying expectations, he sunk into relative obscurity over 2015-2016. We didn't give up on him but his day in the sun did not appear to be imminent at the end of last year, at least not before the NEAFL GF. However he obviously had a great off-season and earned his way into the seniors during the JLT series. He didn't keep his place for Round 1 but he kept working away. Come round 5 v Giants he won his debut ahead of players like the more celebrated Aliir Aliir, the more experienced Michael Talia and the higher draft pick, Jack Maibaum. Despite losing to GWS, he kept his place all the way up until last week and we will find out later today whether he will be recalled to face the Dons tomorrow night. Any which way you look at it, it has been a breakout season for him and another big win for the Swans and our recruiting staff.

Other noteable mentions: Jordan Dawson who is having a sensational year in the NEAFL and has also played his first AFL game; Sam Murray who is tearing it up in the twos in his second year at the club; Isaac Heeney and Tom Papley who are developing and improving on their 2016 seasons with Papley justifying an opportunity to play in the midfield as well as forward and Heeney moving into the midfield full-time with great success. Also great to Sam Reid back on the park. Sam Fisher. Toby Pink (in my book anyway). RHYCE SHAW!! You got more?
    It's been a great season to date development wise.

Agree totally re Newman, I was unsure to start with but I am an the bandwagon now and he looks every inch a senior player.

Also below the radar a bit I think the trio of Florent, Maubaiun and Cameron (until injured) are all coming along nicely.

You look at who was out of that side last week - McVeigh, Aliir, Melican, Robbo, Harry, Florent, Dawson, Tippett - and our depth is looking good

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Like you BS, I was far from convinced that Melican looked anything like an AFL player up until right at the end of the season - but the NEAFL GF game seemed to be the moment when maybe it just 'clicked'. But he had a fantastic game that day where I just though 'hang on a minute, this kid really has something about him' - and this year he has just taken off exponentially from there. I hope he gets a recall tonight at the selection table (I think he will).

As for Nic Newman, every time I watched him last year I thought he was ready for AFL footy soon, and it does not surprise me how well he has settled in at senior level. He was superb against Richmond, and is going to very quickly become a really damaging player for us, and is a decent player defensively to boot for us.

As for the ressies, they are ripping it up this year, and those guys you mention are all contributing to it in no small way. Our depth remains in many ways unproven, but coming along nicely.
    Last edited by liz; 22nd June 2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: fixed quotation formatting
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Blog Entries
    Rushed Behind was ejected from the MCG on Saturday at the 14 minute mark of the first quarter which is a new PB (at the MCG*).

*He once got thrown out of Homebush before the opening bounce for fighting a Collingwood supporter.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Rushed Behind was ejected from the MCG on Saturday at the 14 minute mark of the first quarter which is a new PB (at the MCG*).

*He once got thrown out of Homebush before the opening bounce for fighting a Collingwood supporter.
    Truly, the triumph of the human spirit.

Veterans List
    Well thought out and w ell written OP. Agree with everything there.

How Marsh got promoted last year ahead of Newman was a mystery to me but this year Newman has rapidly cemented a place at a high standard too.

Melican looks a 200 gamer and will get even better.

Hayward and Florent look great picks, expect both to be well entrenched next year.

Papley is the other to lift his game to another level and what a great story.

Overall I now think this is a better side with more potential than last years. Depth is starting to build nicely.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Heeney's ability to dodge, baulk and weave in traffic. One of those footballers that almost seems to see the game in slow motion.

https://youtu.be/IZQgsD25CQw
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    For anyone who can get behind the paywall, there's an article in today's HUN about Newman. At age 20 or so he was playing at Frankston and struggling to get a regular game in the VFL side. After playing mostly at VFL reserves, he almost gave it away and returned to his local club but was pushed by his mum to give it one last season with Frankston. It wasn't exactly a meteoric rise to where he is now, given he had to bide his time in the NEAFL for two years after getting drafted, but it shows how narrow the line is between achieving your dream or sinking into football obscurity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    For anyone who can get behind the paywall, there's an article in today's HUN about Newman. At age 20 or so he was playing at Frankston and struggling to get a regular game in the VFL side. After playing mostly at VFL reserves, he almost gave it away and returned to his local club but was pushed by his mum to give it one last season with Frankston. It wasn't exactly a meteoric rise to where he is now, given he had to bide his time in the NEAFL for two years after getting drafted, but it shows how narrow the line is between achieving your dream or sinking into football obscurity.
    Rushed Behind's mum died when Rushed was 12. He needed a mum like Nic's in his formative years I think.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Rampe was just a player at Williamstown, did a preseason at the Dogs but not rookied, Kirk sent away from the Swans only to return later and become a champion. Yes, the line is very narrow between making it and falling by the wayside. Newman has a younger brother playing VFL somewhere I believe, was mentioned as a rough chance of getting rookied last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Rampe was just a player at Williamstown, did a preseason at the Dogs but not rookied, Kirk sent away from the Swans only to return later and become a champion. Yes, the line is very narrow between making it and falling by the wayside. Newman has a younger brother playing VFL somewhere I believe, was mentioned as a rough chance of getting rookied last year.
    Luffy delisted and relisted twice before making it under Roosey

In a 6 year career Heath James was delisted and re-drafted twice and played 18 of a possible 162 games. But he wanted to play AFL footy and through sheer perseverance he did.

Dan Currie - here's perseverance ... 5 years with us, 0 games. 3 years with North, 4 games. A couple of years with GC$ (so far) 4 games. Has really averaged less than a game a season through out his career. But he's had a career!

Adelaide's Matthew Smith (son of South's Michael and grandson of South's Stan) 5 years on a list 0 games (never realised his dream )

But Luke Lowden spend 8 years at AFL clubs (Hawthorn & the Crows) ... for a career of 1 game.
    Last edited by goswannies; 23rd June 2017 at 02:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Luffy delisted and relisted twice before making it under Roosey
    The only place Luffy was making it under Roosey was here as Troy34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast