Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Elimination final V St Kilda

Re the Monty tackle on ROK.. Paul Roos (from his commentary) seemed to think it was a bit unnecessary, he said something like "'well one of the players would hope to be playing next week and the other one wouldn't have been anyway".

Pushing for Selection
    I thought Jesse was ok yesterday. I haven't been a huge fan as he has appeared to be lazy and not always willing to do the basics to me. I noted a couple of times yesterday his defence/hassling pressure was really good.
    Is it a technique issue that he needs to work on when he is in front position all ready for an above head mark, with his hands on the ball and he drops it? This also happened a couple of times yesterday and is not a first. Maybe he needs to invest in a pair of gloves..

Gee Reid out for next week will be a massive blow if it happens - we desperately need him in the team, for our forward structure alone. How amazing it is to say that about a guy with 20 odd games under his belt, but its completely true.

The problem I had janem with Jesse yesterday and its the same old complaint with him - he does sometimes do good defensive/hassling pressure etc plays - but then 2 minutes later he'll just be utterly lazy and not work hard enough, which had a few times yesterday. I think he just sneaks into our best 22 at the moment, especially with the emergence of the Strutter, but he needs to keep working hard throughout a game when not rucking (which I think he did well at yesterday - that's one area where noone can complain I don't think). Maybe its just a fitness thing that might improve with some more targeted training next pre-season (I doubt either the club nor him would have expected him to be doing as much rucking as he has done this season for us.)

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Nobody has backed Jets more than me on this board, but his efforts yesterday when he came on were very poor. I was so disappointed.

IMO he's cooked for 2011, it's been a long season for even the mature players. He needs to work hard in the off season and come out next year all guns blazing, when no doubt I again will go on defending him. There is soooo much upside if we can get him up and running...
    There was a contest on the wing where he was pointing for the ball to go over his head to a contest. He then got beaten to the contest and lost the crumbs when he had the legs to get front a square. Basic footy and his frame and stamina were no excuse there.

Very poor effort.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    There was a contest on the wing where he was pointing for the ball to go over his head to a contest. He then got beaten to the contest and lost the crumbs when he had the legs to get front a square. Basic footy and his frame and stamina were no excuse there.

Very poor effort.
    So he got beaten. People forget that fosdike took a couple of years to make it and never had a super reliable kick. but he filled a critical role for us for years after that. We just want jetta to be a ten year player who kicks 20 goals a season and makes a contest regularly. I reckon his defensive efforts are getting better and better. And I am in the he offers something that Parker, Bolton, bird, etc simply don't. We will need him in years to come. Can we stop bagging him then ?

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post

Very poor effort.
    He has obviously always had natural talent. But to me he has never had the fire in his eyes. He is another lazy one not willing to do the basics and put his body on the line (excuse all the cliches). Both he and Jesse have huge potential and obviously everyone has high hopes for them. Can those things be taught? Mmm will keep my fingers crossed for 2012.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by janem View Post
    Is it a technique issue that he needs to work on when he is in front position all ready for an above head mark, with his hands on the ball and he drops it? This also happened a couple of times yesterday and is not a first. Maybe he needs to invest in a pair of gloves..
    Didn't Jesse wear gloves when he thrown into the FF position originally?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Not sure laziness is the issue with either Jesse or Jet, although I can see why people might think so. I suspect in both cases it is uncertainty and a tendency to second-guess. I'd like to see them given free rein to make a few mistakes but in the process back their judgement; I think they may both learn quicker if they had that assurance. The natural players don't do much second-guessing: Hannebery, Rohan, Spangher come to mind.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    Too late now! I just wish we had tried Seaby as a forward/ruckman instead of Jesse. What did we have to lose? Don't know the outcome but I would have liked to see it tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Too late now! I just wish we had tried Seaby as a forward/ruckman instead of Jesse. What did we have to lose? Don't know the outcome but I would have liked to see it tried.
    Tried in the reserves on numerous occasions. He rarely impressed when going forward so I can understand why they didn't try it.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

On the Rookie List
    I havent read through the thread and not sure if this has been mentioned but accoding to 'Doc Larkins' on Triple M Reid will be in doubt for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Tried in the reserves on numerous occasions. He rarely impressed when going forward so I can understand why they didn't try it.
    He is simply not fast enough to get separation from any decent backman. Our canadian friend on the other hand is a little quicker, but even so I would prefer to have jesse because he has actually been very good in the ruck for the last few weeks and he does straighten us up nicely even if he really isn't an absolute superstar. But we did draft him at about number 80 or so - accordingly we really shouldn't be expecting him to be chris grant or barry hall.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast