Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Lie of the Ladder

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    In 2003 we needed 3 games in the last round to go our way to sneak into the top 4.

They all fell our way.

It almost seems too easy for us to win all our games to get top 4.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Marry me Goodes View Post
    In 2003 we needed 3 games in the last round to go our way to sneak into the top 4.

They all fell our way.

It almost seems too easy for us to win all our games to get top 4.
    Ditto last year I think. Plus in 2004 we had to win our last game by a large margin to boost our percentage so we would keep 6th spot and a home final and with West Coast in 7th playing at 4pm knowing what result they needed to overtake us for 6th spot and make us travel and not them.

Maybe games falling our way to make the 4/get a home final isn't such a good thing after all
    Last edited by robbieando; 19th August 2007 at 06:38 PM.
    Once was, now elsewhere

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by originalswan View Post
    THE FACTS!!!

The problem is that the Kangaroos have Carlton next week followed by our new best friends the Bulldogs in the last round.
    Don't write Carlton off. They have been very competitive the last 3 weeks.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    Don't write Carlton off. They have been very competitive the last 3 weeks.
    Conveniently falling just short of the line. Would a draw take away their priority pock?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Conveniently falling just short of the line. Would a draw take away their priority pock?
    Yes it would, both their First Round Priority Pick and Second Round Priority Pick. They are on 16 points for the season (4 wins) and if they were to draw it would take them to 18 points for the season (4 wins and a draw) and over the limit for a priority pick.

Every Year - To get a priority pick (extra pick at the start of the second round) you must have 16 points or less.

What Carlton are on track in the way of a Number 1 Pick - To get a priority pick (extra pick at the start of the First Round) you must have 16 points or less at the end of TWO consecutive seasons.

There is no way Carlton is going to be looking for a draw or even a win. They would lose to VERY important draft picks.
    Once was, now elsewhere

I know it's a crazy thing to say but if Hird is fit he won't be retiring next week at home but in the match against the Weagles right? I wouldn't discount the Bombers knocking off Weagles in that final round (not that it will make much difference to us).

That and Adelaide's last match is against the Magpies which if depending on the result tonight could see them either in with a chance of making the finals or a slimmer chance. Plus it's Roo's last match added emotion.

Well Robbie you kind of forgot the fact that Carlton and Melbourne are playing in each in the last round... and they're both on 16 points.. so the big test will be who tanks in that final match

Quote Originally Posted by gossipcom View Post

Well Robbie you kind of forgot the fact that Carlton and Melbourne are playing in each in the last round... and they're both on 16 points.. so the big test will be who tanks in that final match

Now that will be an interesting game...can you forfeit in the AFL?
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

After looking at the ladder, I feel slightly better than last night.

Providing we beat both Collingwood and Hawthorn we finish 5th. IF Kangaroos lose to either Carlton or Bulldogs then we finish 4th.

I give the Dogs a good chance in the last round over the Roos. But we need to worry about our own team winning first!!
    Swannies for life!

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    After looking at the ladder, I feel slightly better than last night.

Providing we beat both Collingwood and Hawthorn we finish 5th. IF Kangaroos lose to either Carlton or Bulldogs then we finish 4th.

I give the Dogs a good chance in the last round over the Roos. But we need to worry about our own team winning first!!
    Likewise, I do feel a lot better today.

Home final destiny still in our hands, and require a little bit of luck to get in the Top 4, but nothing out of this world either.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    I think they changed the rule this year so that you actually have to be crap for more than one year to get the priority pick - hence Melbourne have no incentive to tank coz even if they stay on 16 points, they won't get the pick as they made the finals last year. Carlton, however, are eligible, since they got the spoon last year.

Edit: looks like Robbie explained it better than I, didn't read the whole thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gossipcom View Post
    I didn't forget, just accepted the fact Carlton would have more to lose.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    You can, but the AFL can inpose penalties upon your club such as giving the win to the other club (which hurts Melbourne if Carlton forfeit), huge fines (to cover the cost of broadcast fees lost, stadium rents and contracts etc) and taking away draft picks because at the end of the day the AFL would know thats why you would be doing that in Round 22.

So not worth doing it.
    Once was, now elsewhere