Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 10: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 10: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves

NEAFL Round 10
    Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves
    Sunday 3rd June 2012 11.00am
    Blacktown International Sports Park

NOTE: Game transferred to Blacktown 11am due to predicted heavy rain in the next 48 hours GRRRRR

After the bye due to the representative fixtures between the state leagues (NEAFL Eastern were pumped by NEAFL Northern if anyone's interested), the NEAFL resumes in Round 10 with a second visit by the Suns to the SCG. Rain was forecasted for the whole week leading up to this game but thankfully we have avoided the wet so far and hopefully will do so up till Sunday's game.

Sunday will also see the debut of 2011 draftee Alex Brown who has finally overcome a hip injury and will line up for the first time in Sydney colours.

Brown in motion

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsForAgainstPercentagePoints
    Queanbeyan7610952518183.%24
    Reserves85301103554199.10%20
    Eastlake8530802725110.62%20
    Hills Eagles8530933859108.61%20
    Ainslie8530847810104.57%20
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UWS734055190061.22%12
    Belconnen816170891177.72%6
    Sydney Uni8171605109555.25%4
    Tuggeranong8071614114253.77%2

Northern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsForAgainstPercentagePoints
    Southport8710901602149.67%28
    Labrador8710923664139.01%28
    Brisbane Lions86201010607166.39%24
    Gold Coast Suns8530791607130.31%20
    NT Thunder8530847725116.83%20
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Broadbeach8431867796108.92%18
    Redland834191797194.44%14
    Aspley826072091778.52%8
    Mt Gravatt826064892869.83%8
    Morningside8170614102260.88%4

Past Meetings
    R3 Reserves 7.13 (55) defeated by Gold Coast 13.13 (91)

The Reserves were hampered by the late withdrawals of Mark Seaby and Jesse White whilst their opponents the Suns had the ability to call on the full complement of 5 on their bench. The Reserves struggled to break down a resolute Suns defensive unit and lost it in the last quarter when Josh Fraser booted 4 of his 5 goals.

Goals: Walsh 2, Potter, McNeil, Lycakis, Jack, Gordon
    Best: Heath, Walsh, Lycakis, Moore, Jack

Recent Form
    Reserves
    R1 UWS Away WIN 151-34
    R2 BYE
    R3 Gold Coast Home LOSS 55-91
    R4 Ainslie Away LOSS 85-111
    R5 Tuggeranong Home WIN 213-41
    R6 NT Thunder Away LOSS 90-112
    R7 Sydney Uni Away WIN 239-36
    R8 Brisbane Away WIN 120-86
    R9 Eastlake Home WIN 144-43

Gold Coast
    R1 BYE
    R2 Southport Away WIN 131-65
    R3 Sydney Away WIN 91-55
    R4 Morningside Home WIN 126-76
    R5 Brisbane Away WIN 93-77
    R6 Labrador Away LOSS 42-54
    R7 NT Thunder Home LOSS 74-92
    R8 UWS Away LOSS 75-90
    R9 Redland Away WIN 159-98

Last Round
    Reserves 22.12 (144) defeated Eastlake 5.13 (43)
    The Reserves were too good for a disappointing Eastlake side who never recovered from a poor start. Down by 6 goals at quarter time, poor goalkicking snuffed out any chance of a fightback by the Demons. Mitch Morton continued his solid form with a team leading 6 goals whilst tall forwards Mark Seaby, Jesse White and Matthew Spangher all ended with 4 goals each.

Goals: Morton 6, Seaby 4, White 4, Spangher 4, Mitchell, Lockyer, Moore, Kilpatrick
    Best: Seaby, Spangher, Biggs, Lewington, Meredith, Cunningham

Redland 14.14 (98) defeated by Gold Coast 24.15 (159)
    The Suns ended a run of 3 consecutive losses by easily accounting for the Bombers. Ruckman/forward Josh Fraser led the damage with 5 goals whilst mobile half-forward Alik Magin finished with 4 and BOG honours.

Goals: Fraser 5, Magin 4, J.Hall 3, Moss 2, Hickey 2, Hopkins 2, McKenzie, Brennan, Macansh, Ellis, O'Meara, Gillbee
    Best: Magin, Weller, J.Hall, Hickey, A.Hall, Toy

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    1Mark SEABY3612BOG last round but with Mumford back will find it hard to play again bar injuries.
    6Tom MITCHELL310Swans trying to keep him under wraps by not naming him in the best despite a 42 possession game against Eastlake.
    9Nick MALCESKI000(Seniors extended bench) Expected to remain in the seniors
    10Mitch MORTON8369His fan base seems to be growing each week but still not making the emergencies list.
    11Jed LAMB880Still very quiet, coaches might have to look at a different role for him to rejuvenate his season
    13Andrejs EVERITT200Played in the ruck the last time the Suns were here but unlikely to do so again.
    17Tommy WALSH71416(Seniors extended bench) Had a tough game against the Saints, unlikely to hold his place.
    18Jesse WHITE3114(Seniors extended bench) Where he plays will depend on the fitness of Mumford and/or LRT
    27Matthew SPANGHER255Was close to a call up this week and another good hitout might earn that recall.
    28Dylan McNEIL821Less game time last round, but with no listed players restrictions in place this week will be more prominent
    33Jarred MOORE8926Quieter by his standards last round, will be an important player if the Swans are to win.
    35Campbell HEATH8012Struggled with height of Josh Fraser in R3, might end up on him again.
    36Alex BROWN000Swans debut - played off half back as a youngster and has good pace.
    42Jack LYNCH858As with McNeil, suffered with lack of game time.
    43Eugene KRUGER610Was better defensively against Eastlake, now to show improvement in his offensive game.
    44Harry CUNNINGHAM736Placed back onto the rookie list to accommodate Brown's return. A run-with role is very likely, perhaps on O'Meara.
    45Nathan GORDON6153Wasn't as effective in the midfield as he has been in attack.
    46Shane BIGGS636His last two games off half-back pushing onto the wing have been impressive. Good ball user.
    Changes
    In: Malceski (seniors), Walsh (seniors), Brown (hips)
    Out: Brett Meredith (???), Jordan Lockyer (???)

22 listed players named in the extended squad but at least 3 will drop out when the senior team is finalised on Friday afternoon. Again we have little clue to Meredith and Lockyer's omissions but both have struggled with injury this year.

Brown can play on both talls and smalls in defence and may take Armstrong's place in defence if the latter is elevated to the seniors. Heath and Lynch are undersized when matched up against the tall ruckman/forwards of the Suns in Smith, Fraser, Nicholls and Josh Hall. This might require Walsh to shift back to defence, if he's dropped from the seniors as expected. Everitt and Spangher are other possible options in defence, but Spangher is more likely to stay in attack to finetune his game.

Mitch Morton will hope to continue his good form; coming into this game he has kicked an average of 5 goals a week for the past 5 weeks. There are many other options available to Crouch to join Morton in both talls (Spangher/White/Seaby/Walsh/Everitt) and smalls (Dennis-Lane/Gordon/Moore/Lamb).

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGame-sGoalsVotesNotes
    47Jackson POTTER820 
    ?Max CARTER100 
    ?Jack DAVIS510 
    ?Beau HEENEY100 
    ?Andrew MOODY420 
    ?Sam NAISMITH100 
    ?Dane RAMPE000 
    Changes
    In: Carter, Heeney, Moody, Rampe
    Out: Adam Gulden, Lachlan Kilpatrick, James Lewington

The selection of 7 Swans Academy players for this weekend's NSW/ACT RAMS U18 game against Vic Country means most of the usual suspects are unavailable for this game. We do however get to have another look at young behemoth Naismith who showed some deft taps in the ruck.

Rampe is a blast from the past as he last appeared as a top up in 2008.

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Mitch Morton 36
    • Trent Dennis-Lane, Nathan Gordon 15
    • Tommy Walsh 14

For full list: 2012 Goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Jarred Moore 26
    • Tommy Walsh 16
    • Campbell Heath, Mike Pyke, Mark Seaby 12

For full list: 2012 Best Votes - RWOwiki

GC Squad

• 1. Jaeger O'MEARA
    • 2. Zac SMITH
    • 3. Jared BRENNAN
    • 4. Maverick WELLER
    • 5. James McNAMARA
    • 10. Lewis MOSS
    • 13. Hayden JOLLY
    • 15. Piers FLANAGAN
    • 17. Josh FRASER
    • 18. Trent McKENZIE
    • 20. Josh TOY
    • 22. Tom NICHOLLS
    • 23. Josh BULL
    • 24. John MACANSH
    • 27. Ryan BOWER
    • 29. Taylor HINE
    • 31. Jackson ALLEN
    • 32. Brandon MATERA
    • 43. Liam PATRICK
    • 45. Steven MAY
    • 46. Josh HALL
    • 47. Nick ELLIS
    • 50. Henry SCHADE

In: Smith, Bull, Ellis, Bower, Matera, Jolly, May
    Out: Hopkins, Tucker, Coad, Hall, Magin, Hickey, Gillbee

A very strong Suns lineup including two out of form senior players in Jared Brennan and Zac Smith. Weller, Fraser, Toy and Matera also played plenty of seniors football last year and the wunderkind Jaeger O'Meara who wowed us in Round 3 is back again.

Summary
    With heavy rainfall predicted for the weekend, the advantage that the Suns have in their tall timber is negated somewhat. Expect the likes of Moore, McNeil, Gordon and Mitchell to shine in the wet.
    Last edited by ugg; 1st June 2012 at 05:54 PM.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Changes to Sunday.
    They have been grazing cattle out at Blacktown and need the boys to spread out the pressies on the playing field. The rain came as a good excuse

Change in Sydney Swans Reserves match details

Due to a scheduling change the Sydney Swans Reserves will now face the Gold Coast Suns Reserves at Blacktown Olympic Park from 11 am on Sunday.
    Entry into Blacktown Olympic Park will be free to all those who wish to attend. Access via Eastern Road, Rooty Hill. Free parking is available on site.
    Change in SCG Gate Opening Time

SCG Gates will now open at 12.45pm this Sunday due to the change in Reserves schedule.

Please note there is no change to the Swans v Western Bulldogs start time. The seniors match will commence at 3.15pm.
    Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs
    SCG
    Sunday, June 3, 2012
    12.45pm - SCG Gates Open
    2.45pm - Redkite Celebrity Kicking Competition
    3.15pm - Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs

Dog mauling should be completed by dinner in time for Master Chef.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Goes up to 11
    Thanks for the update Ugg - a great read on the Ressies as always.

Not so happy with the Swans management on this one though - we're playing in Blacktown??? Seriously?? What's wrong with Lakeside Oval? Blacktown is not exactly convenient...... Unless you are a GWS supporter that is.

I know we have no control over the weather but I would have thought a closer venue could have been found....

As long as the celebrity kicking competition goes ahead

I'm torn as Lakeside is a terrible place to watch football, Blacktown is infinitely better in terms of viewing vantage point and facilities but it's so damn far away. Getting from end of the reserves games to the SCG in time could be a problem too if traffic sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Thanks for the update Ugg - a great read on the Ressies as always.

Not so happy with the Swans management on this one though - we're playing in Blacktown??? Seriously?? What's wrong with Lakeside Oval? Blacktown is not exactly convenient...... Unless you are a GWS supporter that is.

I know we have no control over the weather but I would have thought a closer venue could have been found....
    There's a special on moccasins out at Parklea Markets this Sunday. So kill two birds with one the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    As long as the celebrity kicking competition goes ahead
    Which celebrities are getting kicked?

There's been a few in the "mediya" lately that deserve a good kick in the behind.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post

Well with the rise of GWS and the fall of the Swans, the long term merger plans are slowly being implemented right under our noses.

Before you know it, it will be the GWSGS. Greater Western Sydney Giant Swans.

While I love having an AFL venue so close to my house (less than 10 min drive), I won't be going as it makes it almost impossible to attend both the ressies AND get to the SCG early-ish. Bah.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

But I suppose I could go and watch the first half, then bolt to the SCG... hmmm....

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

I think the real losers from this decision are the regular ressies watchers who sit in the Red Zone

In terms of the weather, the BOM says possible rain today and tomorrow and showers developing Sunday. A bit early in jumping the gun?

How come the last two years rain has been a problem for ressies, and the previous oh I don't know, 15 plus? it hasn't.

I AM SO BLOODY PISSED OFF.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Okay just updated the team list with the finalisation of the seniors team. With the move to Blacktown, it's highly likely that one of the emergencies will sit out the whole game rather having to rush from Blacktown to the SCG at half time?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast