Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: Sydney Swans Reserves v GIANTS @ Blacktown International Sports Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I really like what I've seen and heard of Shaw the coach. Even in his last years as a player he put a lot of his time into developing the youth.

Do you think he will move past Kirk as the assistant most likely?

Kirk's stint in the media put me off him as a head coach. Anyone remember that horrendous intro he gave?
    "Most likely" to what? Be next head coach? Neither of these guys is yet close to being head coach. I think that generally the 'development coach' who's put in charge of the NEAFL side is lower status and can progress to coaching the senior side if they do well enough (did Francou do this? I forget). So while he is doing fabulously, Shawry is only in his second season and a long way off being head coach. It's a lot harder to evaluate the other assistant coaches (Dew, Blakey, Francou, Kirk, Playfair) because they work as a team and behind/under Horse and it's harder to know what to attribute to them compared with the reserves coach who has a team to him/her self. [The exception is Taubo, because his role is so distinct.] So I can't say I have a strong opinion of Kirk's coaching but I love his ethos and leadership he demonstrated as a player and so I am glad to have him at our club for that reason. Plus he's had a few years of development under his belt with Rossy Lyon even before he continued his coaching career with us.

I wonder if Macca will move into coaching next year and, if so, where? He's capable, I would think, of having a trajectory a bit like Tom Harley, rather than a conventional coaching career, if he chose that.

Surely you gotta play Dawson in the seniors. Forget Rohan, chuck this kid in instead

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Surely you gotta play Dawson in the seniors. Forget Rohan, chuck this kid in instead
    Why?

Warming the Bench
    Have we tried Talia up forward? It seems unlikely he'll play seniors in defence, looks to be a delisting at seasons end unless something changes. Seems a shame to recruit him for peanuts just to get rid of him, I was pretty excited when he came to the swans because he's a good KPP size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    "Most likely" to what? Be next head coach?
    To be A head coach, not necessarily with the Swans.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

The biggest problem the NEAFL has is the number of blowouts. I mean, what good does a 100 point win do for us really. It means or defenders don't get a chance to shine, and some other players can get inflated stats.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The biggest problem the NEAFL has is the number of blowouts. I mean, what good does a 100 point win do for us really. It means or defenders don't get a chance to shine, and some other players can get inflated stats.
    It's a worry for sure and something we've tried many times to fix. Personally I'd like to see our reserves in the SANFL, at this stage they might struggle when they are down on numbers but realistically we're stuck with the NEAFL and need to give it a chance.

As more and more ex-Academy kids flow through to the Qld and NSW sides you'd hope the local teams improve but how can they ever compete properly when a side like us puts pretty much a full complement of listed and rookies....

Why on earth would the SANFL be interested in having us in their comp?

I'd fix the NEAFL first.

The Comp has a problem that when the reserve sides are strong they are too strong (swans 200% after half a season), or very weak of players missing (eg giants). So why not spread the AFL lists across two local teams. Comp could be 4 Sydney teams, 4 SE Queensland teams. Add a Canberra or NT side if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The Comp has a problem that when the reserve sides are strong they are too strong (swans 200% after half a season), or very weak of players missing (eg giants). So why not spread the AFL lists across two local teams. Comp could be 4 Sydney teams, 4 SE Queensland teams. Add a Canberra or NT side if you want.
    Just have an AFL reserves comp. instead of pumping $ into the AFLW, fund the AFL reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    To be A head coach, not necessarily with the Swans.
    I believe you need to complete a level 4 AFL coaching accreditation course before you can become a senior coach in the afl. As far as i know Dew is the only one to have completed that currently with the Swans

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Just have an AFL reserves comp. instead of pumping $ into the AFLW, fund the AFL reserves
    In the meantime local and country footy is dying a slow death. They are the foundations that need to be supported.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast