Page 144 of 529 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,717 to 1,728 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I suspect Gulden's footy IQ is so high you could play him at fullback on Max or Ben King and he'd find a way to get it done.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Sorry but I can't agree with the suggestion that Errol's height (176cms) will force him into a more outside role. He may be better suited to that role anyway due to his kicking but if Lachie Neale (177cms), Dion Prestia (175cms), and Touk Miller (178cms) can do it amongst others then there is no reason Gulden can't in the future either.
    It is not just his height but his overall size, AB Swannie. Until he puts muscle on and can get himself to be a sizeable unit like Neale, Miller and the "human meatball" Prestia, he won't be as effective in the midfield! His overall build is still very slight - we worry about how green Chad, Rowy these boys are, but it's another level with Gulden! I'm not discounting it from happening - it will just take work, and a LOT of it! If he can't get his body to that stage then JL could very well decide to keep him as just a rotational mid .. to protect him! For his own good! Especially given how brilliant he can be in other areas!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    It is not just his height but his overall size, AB Swannie. Until he puts muscle on and can get himself to be a sizeable unit like Neale, Miller and the "human meatball" Prestia, he won't be as effective in the midfield! His overall build is still very slight - we worry about how green Chad, Rowy these boys are, but it's another level with Gulden! I'm not discounting it from happening - it will just take work, and a LOT of it! If he can't get his body to that stage then JL could very well decide to keep him as just a rotational mid .. to protect him! For his own good! Especially given how brilliant he can be in other areas!
    I’ll take that as a comment

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I suspect Gulden's footy IQ is so high you could play him at fullback on Max or Ben King and he'd find a way to get it done.
    "So, Max, I've always heard that Ben was your parents' favourite".

"So, Ben, I've always heard that Max was your parents' favourite".

I like the debate very much everyone!! I'm sure one thing we can all agree on is that young Errol will be a fantastic player wherever the coaches decide to play him.. his footy brain is phenomenal for his age, and i stand by my point that i wish we could clone him! An Errol in each area of the ground sounds alright to me!! Heh..

I had a post around draft time last year saying that Gulden would be a gun midfielder. The only change I would make now is to say that Gulden will be an absolute gun midfielder. Not at all worried about his height. He will be like a Dayne Zorko: win the ball, hit up teammates, kick goals.

Another player comparison is Devon Smith, B&F winner as a midfielder at the Bombers is listed (by wikipedia mind you) as 176cm 77kg. Golden Errol 176cm 76kg. I'm guessing he can add a kg in the pre-season.

Errol's decision making and footskills are so good and he gets to so many contests I can see him playing that first receiver role. Not sure his hands are as good as his feet yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I had a post around draft time last year saying that Gulden would be a gun midfielder. The only change I would make now is to say that Gulden will be an absolute gun midfielder. Not at all worried about his height. He will be like a Dayne Zorko: win the ball, hit up teammates, kick goals.
    My view on Academy players is that they are inherently tougher at the contest than players from other youth systems. Most academy guys would have been exposed to Rugby or Rugby League at some point in their youth.

Look at Campbell and Gulden. They want the physical contest more than Stephens. Mills, Wicks, Heeney and Blakey were the same in embracing the physical punishment.

As such with guys like Gulden and Campbell you can put them into the inside midfield earlier than players from other youth systems.

I think Gulden and Campbell will be ready for about 25% inside midfield game time next season. In year three you could probably get 60% inside midfield time. By year 4 they could do 90%.

We all want Parker to stay. If he doesn’t stay, Swans fans should be optimistic about the next midfield wave coming through.

Regular in the Side
    Given that Gulden & Campbell are already elite kicks, wouldn't you want them in a more 'outside' role so they can fully utilise their skills?

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Given that Gulden & Campbell are already elite kicks, wouldn't you want them in a more 'outside' role so they can fully utilise their skills?
    Yes - they are wasted on the inside. I want Errol / Braeden switching the play with 40-50 darts that open up the play

i think sometimes we remember how brutal smaller mids can get dealt with in GFs etc where the risk for the opposition is minimal

Hannes getting belted had a massive impact......... Roughie gets 4 weeks in the next season......... Hawthorn didnt care compared to winning a GF

For me it is rare the smaller mids etc get belted under the current rules as the downside for the opposition is great through out the season proper

Therefore Gulden Campbell etc under the current rules are very lethal players

so different to 5 years ago
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Yes - they are wasted on the inside. I want Errol / Braeden switching the play with 40-50 darts that open up the play
    Spot on- Rowy on the inside, together with Chad. However, we could do with another when Joey retires after next year.