Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 3, Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, 07/04/18, SCG @sydneyswans #AFLSwansGiants

Im intrigued also to see what others thought of Hooper and Taranto and their games vs say Ollie and Hayward ?

Senior Player
    Taranto is further ahead than olllie imo. However I think Hayward is further ahead than hopper. I know they play different roles. I mean as compared to their expected development

Veterans List
    Another gem from Titus O'Reilly's Monday Kneejerk Reaction:

"Franklin was playing up the ground a lot, but like all true superstars, he knew when it needed to be turned on, and in the last six minutes, he booted a 70-metre goal followed by the sealer in the final moments.

It reminds you of why the �independent� AFL Commission worked so hard to get him to the Giants and then chucked one of the greatest tantrums ever when the Swans landed him through completely legal methods."

I love Titus.....

I suppose everyone knows that Tim and Ollie are good friends.

Taranto deserved to go #2 in his draft year. He's showing every indication of being a very good player. It's less clear where Florent will end up once he has a few more years in the system. Taranto is definitely ahead in development, but I suppose it's where they finish that's important. I think they will both be good players.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Coaches votes:

8 Callum Sinclair (Syd)
    6 Callum Mills (Syd)
    4 Will Hayward (Syd)
    4 Lewis Melican (Syd)
    3 George Hewett (Syd)
    2 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
    2 Jonathon Patton (GWS)
    1 Lance Franklin (Syd)

So that's:
    Sinclair 5-3
    Mills 5-1
    Hayward 4
    Melican 4
    Hewett 3
    Coniglio 2
    Patton 2
    Franklin 1

Almost as discordant as you could see.

For what it's worth, reckon it was:
    Longmire: 5 Sinclair, 4 Hayward, 3 Hewett, 2 Coniglio, 1 Mills.
    Cameron: 5 Mills, 4 Melican, 3 Sinclair, 2 Patton, 1 Buddy.

Interesting, no votes for Heeney. I suspect he'll be in the top three in the BSM.
    Yes, I thought that it was strange that Heeney didn't get a vote. I had him as best on ground in the first half and I don't think he faded much in the second half. And if it wasn't for his couple of efforts to get the ball to Buddy, then Buddy wouldn't have another contender for goal of the year. Unless of course, Buddy decided to go in and do the clearance work himself.

Warming the Bench
    Agree re Reid and Rohan. Who makes way for Newman? Cunningham and Florent obvious two, but both played well on Saturday and Florent was excellent the week before.
    Agree that Cunningham has started the season well but long term i don't think he is in our best 22
    He's had more than enough chances
    Much prefer Newman kicking to Harrys leg speed

Veteran Site Admin
    Coaches votes:

8 Callum Sinclair (Syd)
    6 Callum Mills (Syd)
    4 Will Hayward (Syd)
    4 Lewis Melican (Syd)
    3 George Hewett (Syd)
    2 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
    2 Jonathon Patton (GWS)
    1 Lance Franklin (Syd)
    It's pretty obvious that some players are held to different standards than others. I can understand this in the context of a club B&F, but I reckon the Coaches' Association votes should be awarded on absolute, not relative, merit.

I thought Hayward had a good game, as did Melican. But can anyone really claim that they had more impact on the outcome than Buddy?
    Last edited by liz; 10th April 2018 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's pretty obvious that some players are held to different standards than others. I can understand this in the context of a club B&F, but I reckon the Coaches' Association votes should be awarded on absolute, not relative merit.

I thought Hayward had a good game, as did Melican. But can anyone really claim that they had more impact on the outcome than Buddy?
    I agree. I was surprised to see Hayward and Melican so high in the votes and Buddy so low. Not surprising to see Sinclair in the votes though - I think he is having his best year yet.

[Edit - remove reference to Patton missing out on votes. It was right there before my eyes]

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Im intrigued also to see what others thought of Hooper and Taranto and their games vs say Ollie and Hayward ?
    Overall its a Giants win. But I think Hayward will be the best player of that 4.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Overall its a Giants win. But I think Hayward will be the best player of that 4.
    Taranto is/will be a very good player, GWS worked pick trading very hard to get up to the number 2 pick because they wanted Taranto.

Hayward however does some freakish things for someone so young, has real pace, tank, courage, skills and pack marking ability. I see so much upside in him, already looking a draft steal out at pick 21.

Mills collected 26 disposals and six marks to win the Brett Kirk Medal for best on ground at the SCG.

I was still amazed Millsy got the award as I thought others had more impact
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 11th April 2018 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Mills collected 26 disposals and six marks to win the Brett Kirk Medal for best on ground at the SCG.

I was still amazed Millsy got the award as I thought others had more impact
    I genuinely think they had a Callum mix-up and gave it to the wrong one.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast