Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Newman's Blast against the Swans

Opportunistic Join Date Bob Neil's Avatar
    Just a Melbournian's inadequacy complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Sam is spot on. Our game plan is ridiculous, sides know how to counter it.

The way to win games is to move the ball quickly so that sides can't flood. You don't see Hawthorn or Geelong chipping it around sideways and backwards.

Sam knows what he's talking about.

While Sams a knob, hes exactly right in this case and Robbo has said it clearly here
    Est 1874
    SMFC

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I also find the Swans style of play at best frustrating.

Best footy I've seen us play in ages was the first quarter last week - not because we were dominating, but because we played direct and exciting footy rather than the 'keepings off' footy.

Then we slipped back to the monotonous, unexciting, and most frustrating style of play that we are used to and I became quite disinterested.
    Roos agreed that the first quarter was the best footy they've played for years. And he and the players admitted they slipped back into a stop start game after quarter time, and they rued that move and said they will try not to do it again. So don't blame the game plan, blame its execution.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Don't disagree with him. I enjoyed watching the Swans in the early 90s more than I do now - and that was when we were getting belted.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    So don't blame the game plan, blame its execution.
    The game planned changed though - well at least it looked like it did. They attacked in the first quarter, kicked to contests and got nearly 5 goals in front - then thought, 'we better protect this lead'.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

It's the only time I have actually agreed with the moron.

Shame it didn't come from Demitriou as we might use it as motivation to win the premiership.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

I find myself agreeing with everybody.

Newman's right - we were a disgrace for two and a half quarters.

The coach is right when he says Q1 was our best effort in years. He's also right in blaming the loss on falloff in intensity.

Everyone who says we're too old is also right.

The problem is our game style is high-intensity. Like Mick Malthouse said when we last beat the Pies: "The Swans play every game like it's a final."

Physically and mentally you need a young list to do that. Not older blokes with a premership medallion hanging in the poolroom.

Bring on the young 'uns.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

This is a first post for me and it took Sam Newman to trigger it (I have been a regular read of ROW, just never got around to registering and posting until now).

Everyone knows Sam has a love-hate relationship with women (they hate him, he loves himself, he ends up hating them), and the Swans played like a bunch of old women on Sat night. Hence his comments are completely in line with his warped view of the world.

While I'm at it, I was trying to find a logical explanation for why we went from 1st qtr great to 2nd qtr terrible. What could change so quickly? Could not be an inspired Ross Lyon qtr time speech (would be giving him too much credence); could not be St Kilda players having a good, hard look at themselves (they never did before). Best I can come up with is this ... Earth Hour. We played great before 8:30; then the Swans players decided to honour it by playing for the next hour as if the lights were turned off. Then in the 4th qtr they turned them back on again. It has alternative, Bhuddist, greeny Captain Kirk's fingerprints all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    This is a first post for me and it took Sam Newman to trigger it (I have been a regular read of ROW, just never got around to registering and posting until now).

Everyone knows Sam has a love-hate relationship with women (they hate him, he loves himself, he ends up hating them), and the Swans played like a bunch of old women on Sat night. Hence his comments are completely in line with his warped view of the world.

While I'm at it, I was trying to find a logical explanation for why we went from 1st qtr great to 2nd qtr terrible. What could change so quickly? Could not be an inspired Ross Lyon qtr time speech (would be giving him too much credence); could not be St Kilda players having a good, hard look at themselves (they never did before). Best I can come up with is this ... Earth Hour. We played great before 8:30; then the Swans players decided to honour it by playing for the next hour as if the lights were turned off. Then in the 4th qtr they turned them back on again. It has alternative, Bhuddist, greeny Captain Kirk's fingerprints all over it.

Great first post...laughed at that one
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Great first post...laughed at that one
    Agree. Earth Hour is the most logical excuse yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Agree. Earth Hour is the most logical excuse yet.
    Yeah, made sense to me, but still made me laugh! Welcome aboard.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Goes up to 11
    Good thing we wont lose an hour with daylight savings ending this weekend....we'll need all the time we can get against the Hawks.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast