Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I hope Brisbane come good next year, and these wins are not just false hope.
    I reckon they are in for a huge improvement next year.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    c'est la vie ;-)
    Thanks for that. It just didn't look right did it.......

Veterans List
    Has Horse ever requested a 'meeting' with the umpires in all his years as coach?? Even after the umpiring debacle of the 2016 I don't think he did....although the club may have done something privately....

This: Woosha wants a meeting with the umpires - AFL.com.au

"ESSENDON wants to meet with AFL umpires coach Hayden Kennedy this week after a lopsided free kick count in recent matches." .....Seriously? Try recent YEARS mate.

Usual Victorian club sooky coach.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Has Horse ever requested a 'meeting' with the umpires in all his years as coach?? Even after the umpiring debacle of the 2016 I don't think he did....although the club may have done something privately....

This: Woosha wants a meeting with the umpires - AFL.com.au

"ESSENDON wants to meet with AFL umpires coach Hayden Kennedy this week after a lopsided free kick count in recent matches." .....Seriously? Try recent YEARS mate.

Usual Victorian club sooky coach.....
    On talking footy last night Matthew Richardson said Richmond has the highest amount of free kicks paid against them. We would be up there too I think.

Veterans List
    I remember last year after the Bulldogs game Longmire called the umpires department for clarification on the holding the ball rule because we were being adjudicated differently to the Bulldogs. i.e. They could throw the ball and it was play on whereas for us it was a free kick against.

Veteran Site Admin
    Roos used to mention that he'd phoned the umpires during the week for clarification of something. Most coaches make this comment from time to time.

I have no issue with private phone calls between clubs and the umpires, particularly if they are for rule clarification rather than to whinge that one of their players isn't getting a fair go (which I suspect most of these conversations amount to). But I wish they'd just have those private conversations and not feel the need to talk about the fact that they've had one, or are going to have one. That's just a dressed up way of whingeing about the umpiring they received in a recent game, something that is sometimes justified but usually overblown.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    On talking footy last night Matthew Richardson said Richmond has the highest amount of free kicks paid against them. We would be up there too I think.
    Richmond had the worst free kick differential of all teams last year, too. Their premiership certainly wasn't umpire assisted like the Bulldogs!
    (Of course, playing the GF against a higher ranked team on your home ground was a bit of an advantage.)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Richmond had the worst free kick differential of all teams last year, too. Their premiership certainly wasn't umpire assisted like the Bulldogs!
    (Of course, playing the GF against a higher ranked team on your home ground was a bit of an advantage.)
    A bit? Different game if played on Crows home ground in Adelaide. Mind you, .Tigers look like finishing top but last year's flag should have an asterisk next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    A bit? Different game if played on Crows home ground in Adelaide. Mind you, .Tigers look like finishing top but last year's flag should have an asterisk next to it.
    I think there should be an Australian Rules Football National Championship*, which is awarded to the highest placed non-Victorian team.

* = Best team in Australia, except for a small part of the country where Eddie McGuire lives.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think there should be an Australian Rules Football National Championship*, which is awarded to the highest placed non-Victorian team.

* = Best team in Australia, except for a small part of the country where Eddie McGuire lives.
    Saw a good friend of mine yesterday who is a Tiger fan. Still on cloud nine from last year. He made a joke about how inconvenient it is to have to go to Etihad occasionally instead of the MCG. Bit my tongue because of friendship, but GF Vic advantage when finishing lower on ladder riles me beyond belief.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Tigers, on average differential, are disadvantaged by 4.8 frees a game, Bombers are 3.8, Swans are 1.1.

But, please, don't let those statistics stop the weekly umpire bashing on this board.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&type=DA&sby=8
    C'mon Chels!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Tigers, on average differential, are disadvantaged by 4.8 frees a game, Bombers are 3.8, Swans are 1.1.

But, please, don't let those statistics stop the weekly umpire bashing on this board.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&type=DA&sby=8
    Then in 2005 Swans were -3.7 and the Tigers were +4.3. Eagles were +1.0
    2006 Swans were -3.6 and Eagles +2.7
    2012 and 2014 Swans and Hawks were MOR
    2016 Dogs led with 4.3 and Swans were 3rd worst with -1.9

Working back from this year to 2005 the Swans rank 12, 15, 16, 15, 4, 10, 9 (of 18), 9 (of 17), 11 (of 16), 15, 12, 16, 16, 16. So the Swans have one year on the positive side of the ledger. And I don't think we play dirty as some teams do.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456