Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Be warned, check first...

Veterans List
    The "other" Sam Reid is my second favourite Sam Reid in the AFL - as he has become a bit of a role model for the diabetes community (a condition that my eldest daughter has). Poor kid has had a terrible run with injuries (not to mention the whole diabetes thing...) so hope this all turns out the best for him.

Goes up to 11
    As I've said elsewhere, I believe that the AFL would have directed Sheeds and the rest of the GWS mob to lay off poaching Swans players. Mutually agreed trades would be ok but not poaching. The AFL in all their wisdom have decided that Sydney can accommodate two teams, but they would not want to undermine the Swans reasonably tenuous position in such a competitive market. They will instead be seeking to bring in new players, such as those already signed with GWS, instead of shipping guys across town. I wouldn't be stressing out about who is going to get taken from us by GWS as I don't think that's how things are going to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    As I've said elsewhere, I believe that the AFL would have directed Sheeds and the rest of the GWS mob to lay off poaching Swans players. Mutually agreed trades would be ok but not poaching. The AFL in all their wisdom have decided that Sydney can accommodate two teams, but they would not want to undermine the Swans reasonably tenuous position in such a competitive market. They will instead be seeking to bring in new players, such as those already signed with GWS, instead of shipping guys across town. I wouldn't be stressing out about who is going to get taken from us by GWS as I don't think that's how things are going to happen...
    If that's the case, how come Gold Coast were allowed to pinch two players off Brisbane?

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by old blood View Post
    If that's the case, how come Gold Coast were allowed to pinch two players off Brisbane?
    Both were uncontracted and free to go wherever they liked. Rissie would have gone anywhere but the Lions, I think so they would have lost him anyway. Otherwise you have a good point that scares me a bit.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by old blood View Post
    Pretty sure they can take more than one on agreement from the club ... From memory, Brennan ended up as part of a trade deal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    Pretty sure they can take more than one on agreement from the club ... From memory, Brennan ended up as part of a trade deal
    Throughout the 2010 AFL season, much interest surrounded which out-of-contract players would sign with the new Gold Coast Football Club. Nathan Bock was the first to be announced, followed by Nathan Krakouer and Michael Rischitelli.[1] Campbell Brown and Jarrod Harbrow were the next two to be announced, ending many months of speculation about their move.[2]
    On 29 September, after a year of constant speculation and rumour,[3] Geelong star Gary Ablett, Jr. announced that he had signed a five year deal with the Suns, which will make him the highest paid player in the league.[4][5]
    Then on 7 October, the Gold Coast also signed Collingwood's Josh Fraser and Brisbane's Jared Brennan.[6] Brennan is the second player from the Brisbane Lions to be signed by the Gold Coast. As the Gold Coast were only able to sign one non-contracted player from each club, the Lions had to agree with the deal and work out a fair compensation.
    AFL Draft 2010 - Gold Coast Suns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    Throughout the 2010 AFL season, much interest surrounded which out-of-contract players would sign with the new Gold Coast Football Club. Nathan Bock was the first to be announced, followed by Nathan Krakouer and Michael Rischitelli.[1] Campbell Brown and Jarrod Harbrow were the next two to be announced, ending many months of speculation about their move.[2]
    On 29 September, after a year of constant speculation and rumour,[3] Geelong star Gary Ablett, Jr. announced that he had signed a five year deal with the Suns, which will make him the highest paid player in the league.[4][5]
    Then on 7 October, the Gold Coast also signed Collingwood's Josh Fraser and Brisbane's Jared Brennan.[6] Brennan is the second player from the Brisbane Lions to be signed by the Gold Coast. As the Gold Coast were only able to sign one non-contracted player from each club, the Lions had to agree with the deal and work out a fair compensation.
    AFL Draft 2010 - Gold Coast Suns

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post

My take differs from this. I think the AFL would LOVE to see conflict between us and GWS. Stirs up competitive juices, gets the Press going one way or another, involves the public and that's what the AFL wants..Sydney involvement!!!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    My take differs from this. I think the AFL would LOVE to see conflict between us and GWS. Stirs up competitive juices, gets the Press going one way or another, involves the public and that's what the AFL wants..Sydney involvement!!!
    That's correct, but strengthening GWS by undermining the Swans will be counterproductive and could damage both teams. This is a huge risk the AFL are taking - not only in getting GWS off the ground, but also in not damaging the Swans as a result.

As much as there may be a media frenzy in Melbourne regarding who is or isn't going to GWS, almost all of the so-called new fans the AFL is trying to garner with GWS wouldn't have a clue who Sam Reid is. Non-AFL people in Sydney know Goodsey & Keiran Jack, but most would be hard-pressed to name many more. Plenty would probably say Barry Hall, Paul Roos or Plugger. GWS/AFL (you can really use them interchangeably) would stand to gain very little by poaching Swans players in this sort of market.

Pushing for Selection
    Is our Sam contracted past next year, so that GWS cant pick him up as an out of contract player? If he is not, we should be tying him up right now with that C Bolton, Bradshaw, Kennelly money. Wouldn't be much fun seeing this headline next year!!

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Speaking of conflict, if Reid does end up heading off to GWS, it puts those Swans members who are also GWS members in an interesting position, doesn't it?

After all, if you're prepared to put money into GWS, you'd hardly be devastated to see Reid join the team. And that goes for any other valuable Swans player who ends up at GWS.

That would be one of the benefits of having a financial foot in both camps.

Sort of like robbing Peter to pay Paul, isn't it?

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Speaking of conflict, if Reid does end up heading off to GWS, it puts those Swans members who are also GWS members in an interesting position, doesn't it?

After all, if you're prepared to put money into GWS, you'd hardly be devastated to see Reid join the team. And that goes for any other valuable Swans player who ends up at GWS.

That would be one of the benefits of having a financial foot in both camps.

Sort of like robbing Peter to pay Paul, isn't it?
    Illogical reasoning.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast