Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vultures circling Sam Reid

Veterans List
    Reid is the first of unsigned players that give likes of Niall something to talk about every year.

Why wouldn't we just back end a contract for Reid so in 2018 he is on a restricted amount that is compensated for in 2019 & beyond when Tippo's contract is completed and he is either retired or traded. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He didn't play last year so there wasn't a hole in the forward line then. St Kilda has pick 1 and McCartin doesn't look likely. Reiwolt is due to retire so trade him to the Saints if he wants to go.

hes a RFA. There will be no trade.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Because Franklin n Reid are the perfect examples of why there needs to be compensation. Both clubs have invested heavily into both players and then in their prime lose them for virtually nothing. We are talking about a 25 year old Reid coming into his prime not a 29 year old Reid. The issue with compo is it's tied to ladder positions not what the player is worth. No way was Franklin worth only pick 19 & now the Hawks are paying for it. If they were truly compensated they would have a couple young guns coming up through the ranks which they deserve. Now that's compensation for one of the best players to ever play the game. They were the ones that could see & develop franklins potential and not pick Richard Tambling. And clubs get penalised with ladder positions all the time now with the order changing with F/S & academy picks.
    no issue with clubs being compensated but it shouldn't be at the cost of every other club. The club drafting the player should pay - no one else.

Free agency should be some form of arbitration to help trades rather than a compensation raffle.

So whichever club picks up Fyfe won't pay anything in draft terms but the 16 clubs not involved in the trade are penalised as their picks get pushed back.

I don't know if it's just me that thinks the system is broken but to me it's a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post

I don't know if it's just me that thinks the system is broken but to me it's a disaster.
    You are far from alone on this matter. Many commentators have pointed out the failings of the current system.

The problem with having the club who signs a free agent give compensation undermines what the AFLPA has achieved with getting the players free agency, for if the club has to compensate for signing a free agent, well, it really isn't free agency, is it?

The other option to the present system is just to abandon AFL compensation completely, so we have a true free agency. The problem the AFL see in this solution is that the stronger clubs will simply raid the weaker clubs. It's already happening with contracted players who are not free agents. Without any compensation unpopular clubs will be drained of even more talent than has been happening. I think this solution will most negatively impact on the Queensland clubs, but might also have a negative impact on the Swans and Giants in the long term. The offset to this has been the academies, but the AFL seems to be continually eroding this method to equlise the talent moving to the traditional AFL states.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    no issue with clubs being compensated but it shouldn't be at the cost of every other club. The club drafting the player should pay - no one else.

Free agency should be some form of arbitration to help trades rather than a compensation raffle.

So whichever club picks up Fyfe won't pay anything in draft terms but the 16 clubs not involved in the trade are penalised as their picks get pushed back.

Couldn't agree more but just not sure how you work out what the drafting club should give up....

This was only two or three weeks ago Reid a happy Swan - sydneyswans.com.au

Soon to be out of contract Sydney forward Sam Reid says he has no real interest in joining brother Ben at Collingwood or any other Melbourne-based club at the end of the year... he told SEN radio on Wednesday that moving home to Victoria wasn't in his future plans.

"I do love it up here (in Sydney), I love the footy club, I love the lifestyle and there's not really any reason for me to look elsewhere, to be honest."

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    This was only two or three weeks ago Reid a happy Swan - sydneyswans.com.au

Soon to be out of contract Sydney forward Sam Reid says he has no real interest in joining brother Ben at Collingwood or any other Melbourne-based club at the end of the year... he told SEN radio on Wednesday that moving home to Victoria wasn't in his future plans.

"I do love it up here (in Sydney), I love the footy club, I love the lifestyle and there's not really any reason for me to look elsewhere, to be honest."
    That's all great but if he can get an extra million dollars plus over 5 years to see out his career then it becomes less straightforward.

I think we should be able to come up with a pretty decent offer given that Tippett comes off the wages bill in 2019 so I'm cautiously optimistic unlike with Jetta and Mitchell who I called early as departures

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Reid's partner is not much in the news. I wonder if she's a Sydney girl. It could be the critical factor. He also has 2 Sydney dogs. The ugly one must be around 6 yo now and not keen to move to Melbourne. Could be the decider.
    I'm almost certain she is a Sydney girl, they've been together a while now, have bought a nice house together and all that. Think she has quite a good career here as well. All good signs I guess....

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Couldn't agree more but just not sure how you work out what the drafting club should give up....
    Maybe just get rid of the whole free agency scenario????
    Most trades that happen these days seem to be dictated by the footballer wanting the move anyway. The footballer gets the move/money they want and the club they are leaving gets picks or players.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Because Franklin n Reid are the perfect examples of why there needs to be compensation. Both clubs have invested heavily into both players and then in their prime lose them for virtually nothing. We are talking about a 25 year old Reid coming into his prime not a 29 year old Reid. The issue with compo is it's tied to ladder positions not what the player is worth. No way was Franklin worth only pick 19 & now the Hawks are paying for it. If they were truly compensated they would have a couple young guns coming up through the ranks which they deserve. Now that's compensation for one of the best players to ever play the game. They were the ones that could see & develop franklins potential and not pick Richard Tambling. And clubs get penalised with ladder positions all the time now with the order changing with F/S & academy picks.
    It's true that the compo pick position is reliant on ladder position, however, the problem is that they don't have a legitimate and fair review system of what round that draft pick should be. Frawley is the prime example. His annual value and contract length didn't justify his first round position and people who know the system were extremely surprised when it was announced. Given their record, I would have no faith in the VFL making a fair assessment of Reids value. They'll just screw us over again as they usually do. We've been too successful.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 19th April 2017 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Maybe just get rid of the whole free agency scenario????
    Most trades that happen these days seem to be dictated by the footballer wanting the move anyway. The footballer gets the move/money they want and the club they are leaving gets picks or players.
    Can't get rid of it. It's in the CBA. The AFLPA want the number of years lowered from 8 to 6, so if anything, it's going in the other direction. The point is that the players want the ability to negotiate the best deal for themselves, but if the club they wanted to go to has to give up something in return it restricts their ability to move to their club of choice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast