Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 v Bulldogs (Nipper Gordon to debut!)

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Just a sledge it is then.
    Not quite! What he said may in fact be correct but surely to dismiss the effort of a player who kicks 5 goals (flatters) is ignoring an important fact.This guy can play poorly in the coaches opinion and still kick 5 goals!! So lets make him defend more in the twos while we have no goal kickers in the A grade? This is the kind of negative thinking that irritates me enormously. We then end up with a forward line that can defend but can't kick goals so the game becomes a defensive slog. Just look how slick the forward lines of Essendon and Carlton were .Slick forwards convert limited opportunities into goals.

Ok,Big Al,I admit Henry was not my favourite player and my analagy to "Eddie the Eagle" may have been a touch unkind but TDL is a skilled goal kicker that needs encouragement and development and I doubt he is getting that after hearing Henry's comments on him.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    What Playfair said was not unreasonable. Up close to the end of the third quarter TDL was goalless and had no impact on the game. He essentially kicked his 5 in junk time, and a few of them were the result of his teammates' great work. However, the point that H is going about is not about TDL's ability to kick goals. He knows and we know and Trent knows very well that he is an excellent goalkicker. The coaches want TDL to work on his forward pressure and work off the ball, they only have to point to Collingwood's bevy of half-forward types like Beams, Sidebottom, Dick, Krakouer, Blair and Didak as the exemplars to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Ok,Big Al,I admit Henry was not my favourite player and my analagy to "Eddie the Eagle" may have been a touch unkind but TDL is a skilled goal kicker that needs encouragement and development and I doubt he is getting that after hearing Henry's comments on him.
    Unless you have listening devices at the club you don't know what TDL is getting behind the scenes. It could well be that TDL needs a public rebuke of this nature to get his mind back on the job. TDL could have been a little big headed due to the 5 goals and needed to be put in his place. Point is we just don't know.

Whether we like it or not in modern footy the small forwards need to ensure that their pressure skills not allow the ball to easily leave the forward line. No point in kicking 5 goals if you give up just as many because you allowed the opposition to rebound quickly. I've seen TDL a few times in the reserves this year and I think Henry is 100% correct with his assessment.

I like TDL and I'm sure he'll be back in the seniors before too long.
    Last edited by Big Al; 6th May 2011 at 12:40 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Umpires
    8. Brett ROSEBURY (15W 14L 1D - 50.00%)
    21. Simon MEREDITH (11W 7L - 61.11%)
    32. Jacob MOLLISON (3W - 100.00%)
    Emergency
    5. Brett RITCHIE (No games)

On the Rookie List
    Unless you have listening devices at the club you don't know what TDL is getting behind the scenes. It could well be that TDL needs a public rebuke of this nature to get his mind back on the job. TDL could have been a little big headed due to the 5 goals and needed to be put in his place. Point is we just don't know.

Whether we like it or not in modern footy the small forwards need to ensure that their pressure skills not allow the ball to easily leave the forward line. No point in kicking 5 goals if you give up just as many because you allowed the opposition to rebound quickly. I've seen TDL a few times in the reserves this year and I think Henry is 100% correct with his assessment.

I like TDL and I'm sure he'll be back in the seniors before too long.
    If you have watched the reserves and say Henry is 100% correct,thats good enough for me. :-)

Veteran Site Admin
    I didn't read Playfair's comments as a public rebuke of TDL - more an explanation for those who just read the scoreboard and see Trent kicked 5 goals and wonder why he's not straight back into the senior team. Similarly with Johnston, even those of us who watched the game last week were suggesting he'd done enough for a senior debut. Playfair's comments came across as encouraging for Lewis but they made it clear they are looking for him to get the consistency into his game before he wins a senior spot. He actually had been pretty good in each of the reserves games I've seen this year, but last season he was prone to 3 good games followed by one pretty ordinary one, so you can see where the coaches are coming from.

I really like the reports that Playfair is providing on the website this year. They give us just a tiny bit of insight into where our developing players are. It is a huge improvement on the reports of recent years which just read like a narrative of who kicked goals and in what order.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Umpires
    8. Brett ROSEBURY (15W 14L 1D - 50.00%)
    21. Simon MEREDITH (11W 7L - 61.11%)
    32. Jacob MOLLISON (3W - 100.00%)
    Emergency
    5. Brett RITCHIE (No games)
    Jacob's a good Umpire.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Jacob's a good Umpire.
    No Ump likes stats like that. It gives them a bad name. The start of the square up will be tomorrow

I'm not a Rosebury fan at all.

Caned us something chronic in the semi v the Bullies last year. I'm in Row A for this match, so I'll be giving him an extra gobfull every time he gets within earshot, believe me.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I'm not a Rosebury fan at all.

Caned us something chronic in the semi v the Bullies last year. I'm in Row A for this match, so I'll be giving him an extra gobfull every time he gets within earshot, believe me.
    Was he the umpire that paid Andrew Hooper that dodgy free kick near the end of the 2nd quarter?

Not 100% sure ugg, but there were some very dodgy calls and more importantly some dodgy non-calls that ALL favoured the Doggies when they got their tails up after halftime.

Late in the game when we were coming back hard, Cross got caught cold holding the ball in the forward pocket. Everybody just stopped, including the spectators, just waiting for him to make the call. You know that real pause when you know the ump is going to make the big 'look at me' holding the ball signal. There was nothing, Rosebury just looked like he was asleep before finally calling a ball-up. It was just weird.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Not quite! What he said may in fact be correct but surely to dismiss the effort of a player who kicks 5 goals (flatters) is ignoring an important fact.This guy can play poorly in the coaches opinion and still kick 5 goals!! So lets make him defend more in the twos while we have no goal kickers in the A grade? This is the kind of negative thinking that irritates me enormously. We then end up with a forward line that can defend but can't kick goals so the game becomes a defensive slog. Just look how slick the forward lines of Essendon and Carlton were .Slick forwards convert limited opportunities into goals.

Agree! Sometimes, the coaches can be too over-enthusiastic to mould everyone the same. Every player is different and each can still contribute in different ways though they may have some short comings. The important thing is how to balance the team and utilise each available talent wisely. I think we need more shots at goals!