Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Sam Newman's Blast against the Swans

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I was getting pretty annoyed that the saints ppl nearby complained about the swans flooding tactics, "typical Sydney", but failed to notice their own tactics. Actually, it happens at most games full of one-eyed ignoramuses.
    Amazing the number of supporters who don't know the difference between flooding, which everyone does, and the Swans' man-on-man footy, which was based on the Lions' formula.

In 'Essence of the Game' Clarkson made a big speech to the Hawks in which he held out the Swans and the Pies as the models of tough footy.

It's only dopey fans and pundits who don't get it.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Yes, the original sentiment still stands
    It's my stand by.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Amazing the number of supporters who don't know the difference between flooding, which everyone does, and the Swans' man-on-man footy, which was based on the Lions' formula.

In 'Essence of the Game' Clarkson made a big speech to the Hawks in which he held out the Swans and the Pies as the models of tough footy.

It's only dopey fans and pundits who don't get it.
    That's why I agree with Jim Mains sentiments, re most fans.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Why, can't you use a computer?
    Hey, why so harsh? I was only thinking it would be helpful if people wanted to complain about Sam as an earlier post had suggested. And I still have no idea what the address is ..... here in the ACT, the Footy Show often starts well after midnight, when I'm not at my best .

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by sidswan View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goswannie14
    Why, can't you use a computer?
    Hey, why so harsh? II still have no idea what the address is ..... here in the ACT, the Footy Show often starts well after midnight, when I'm not at my best
    I dont believe you will find it anyway. Their website shows a shanes mailbag video clip and the email address given there is Sams! Dont let it stop you saying whatever you want to say I dont think Sam likes Shane having his little mail segment. Anything that Sam doesnt like I am pretty happy with.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkemu View Post
    What channel ?
    Yes as AnnieH suggested you might have to do a "re-scan" of all your digital stations if it's been a while since you last did it because it's only recently been added as a station in Sydney. I was watching the Marngrook Footy Show tonight and at one stage I noticed a message across the bottom saying that it was being trialled in Sydney. That worries me because it might end up disappearing just as quickly. Still, make the most of it while it's there. At least it adds to our choice.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Quote Originally Posted by sidswan View Post
    Hey, why so harsh? I was only thinking it would be helpful if people wanted to complain about Sam as an earlier post had suggested. And I still have no idea what the address is ..... here in the ACT, the Footy Show often starts well after midnight, when I'm not at my best .
    Wasn't meant to be harsh, should have used a smiley!
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Veterans List
    Just to back up your theory red:

I took this during the 4th qtr, we were attacking the end furthest away from me.

When you sit behind the goals all you see is no players in your half, and when you do have players there it is a mass of players and nothing can be deciphered from it. Even sitting higher up is frustrating.

Question; why is it traditional for cheer squads to sit behind the goals and usually close to the oval? All you seem to see is the ball sailing over your head. Must get stiff necks. Sitting close to fence on the wing you get a much better perspective of the game.

Does the tradition come from the suburban roots of the game where the cheer squad of the home team plonked itself behind the goals at the home team stand end.

Veterans List
    It's my stand by.

That's why I agree with Jim Mains sentiments, re most fans.
    Hey, enough of that Scott.

In The Apple Isle Cheer Squad mbr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Question; why is it traditional for cheer squads to sit behind the goals and usually close to the oval? All you seem to see is the ball sailing over your head. Must get stiff necks. Sitting close to fence on the wing you get a much better perspective of the game.
    I actually like the position. Lots of action and the ball's always coming in your direction. It's also useful in putting off opposing teams kicking towards your end.

And no. Never any "stiff" necks.
    "Two cities, One team, Together, Living the Dream."

Silver member, not Gold pinkemu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad mbr View Post
    I actually like the position. Lots of action and the ball's always coming in your direction. It's also useful in putting off opposing teams kicking towards your end.

And no. Never any "stiff" necks.
    I like the 50 m line myself (down close to the fence ) for similar reasons.

When your back line is in form there is nothing better than watching defense turn in to attack and watching your team run away from you.

The game a few years back when we beat the Saints who were on their 10 game (i think thats the number) winning streak was one of those games where being within metres of the our defensive action was something to behold.

And of course the same goes for attack, the wave comes towards you, awsome.

And don't forget, the opposition can hear your every word(be it polite or not).

Silver member, not Gold pinkemu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSouth33 View Post
    Yes as AnnieH suggested you might have to do a "re-scan" of all your digital stations if it's been a while since you last did it because it's only recently been added as a station in Sydney. I was watching the Marngrook Footy Show tonight and at one stage I noticed a message across the bottom saying that it was being trialled in Sydney. That worries me because it might end up disappearing just as quickly. Still, make the most of it while it's there. At least it adds to our choice.
    Thanks GS,Annie, The Tele has been asking me if I wanted to add new channels available and I keep sayin no. Now I will say yes

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    When you sit behind the goals all you see is no players in your half, and when you do have players there it is a mass of players and nothing can be deciphered from it. Even sitting higher up is frustrating.

Does the tradition come from the suburban roots of the game where the cheer squad of the home team plonked itself behind the goals at the home team stand end
    Yes, it was the tradition, at most grounds for the home CS to sit at the members end behind the goals. This also meant that the visiting team CS was behind the goals at the outer end. It also added to the colour of the game on TV (After colour TV came in), and was supposed to put off the opposing team when they were shooting for goal. The chanting at the old Lake Oval when the CS and the members stand were in full voice was awesome.

Having said that, when Melbourne and Richmond were the only co-tenants at the MCG, the CS seats were in the upper tier of the old southern stand, Richmond behind the Punt Road goals and Melbourne on the southern wing.

It was also the time when the CS's had a great relationship, during the reserves game the CS committee would go around and welcome the visiting CS, and in the event of the "run-through" (what they now call a banner) tearing, it wasn't unusual to see opposing CS members helping each other.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast