Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for semi final v Geelong, Friday 15 September

Veteran Site Admin
    If you watch the stoppages from last week's game, especially during the rampant second quarter, it becomes apparent just how important the positioning is around the contest in terms of transferring the ball from the stoppage to someone outside. The team was very disciplined in having players at varying distances from the stoppage, rather than too many trying to win the ball themselves or all trying to spread. I guess most teams try to do something similar but it is instructional to watch this quarter because we were winning the ball so often, and almost every time we did win it we were able to launch an attack. If you're not winning first possession, I guess things look a little different (though the carefully positioned players presumably have a defensive purpose as well as an attacking one.

The reason I mention this here is that Cunningham was very often one of those players standing just outside the immediate contest, and involved in farming the ball out to a player a bit further out. So his inclusion adds to the number who can perform these various stoppage roles, as well as providing some pace and outside run.

I completely agree with Liz and O'Reilly Boy. Cunningham was having his best season before he was injured and he brings pace and guile. It's also going to be wet, which suits him moe than Melican. I don't think there's necessarily a natural match up for Melican either, although it depends on what Taylor does. We managed with Rampe on Daniher, which made me nervous but worked out as a pass mark, and I suspect the plan will be something similar. The Swans may indeed be banking on Taylor having to play back to help manage Sinclair, Reid and our no. 23.

Geelong and Richmond struck me the other day when I was thinking on our possible changes as the teams where Melican might not get a run. If we win tomorrow night I'm sure he'll come in against Adelaide.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    On 360 they had emergencies as Aliir, Robbo & Foote! No Melican, what gives?

Crowd composition tomorrow, any chance it will be a 50/50 crowd, what was the make up of last years MCG final between us?

Senior Player
    I cant remember swans playing a game in the wet this year, been very dry in sydney

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

I'm sure the Swans will be keen to test Selwoods' ankle.

All's fair in love and war.
    Yes. I can see it now.

I'm not convinced that Taylor will go back that often. Because with him in the forward line we have a difficult match up on Menzel and Menegola who are both 190cm. Newman and Mills would be our only options for them. I would prefer to see Melican come in and allow Rampe to play third tall. Our defenders have dominated their attack recently and if that continues they can't win. If Taylor goes back it will be a case of same old same old. They need to stretch us.

The MCG is never wet. It's the best draining ground in the country. It may be a little greasy, but not enough to dictate playing small over tall. We should just play our best 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes. I can see it now.

Yeah, but he'll still probably get a free for too high

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I'm not convinced that Taylor will go back that often. Because with him in the forward line we have a difficult match up on Menzel and Menegola who are both 190cm. Newman and Mills would be our only options for them. I would prefer to see Melican come in and allow Rampe to play third tall. Our defenders have dominated their attack recently and if that continues they can't win. If Taylor goes back it will be a case of same old same old. They need to stretch us.

The MCG is never wet. It's the best draining ground in the country. It may be a little greasy, but not enough to dictate playing small over tall. We should just play our best 22.
    Posters I particularly respect on both sides of this debate, but I share this view. I was disappointed to see Melican not selected. I'd be surprised if Taylor didn't play forward a reasonable amount (if not mostly) to expose our short backline. As I said previously, I thought we were a little shaky when the ball did come in high last week. It might force Reid back quite a bit and make it important Sinclair has another good game.

I'm in the play Melican camp (unless, of course he is injured). It's too risky without the third tall if Taylor plays forward. Look out too if Rampe or Reg get injured.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yeah, but he'll still probably get a free for too high
    LOL

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I'm in the play Melican camp (unless, of course he is injured). It's too risky without the third tall if Taylor plays forward. Look out too if Rampe or Reg get injured.
    We've got Reid who can go back if necessary.

Melican and Grundy play tall and release Ramps

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast