Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaching changes

Coaching changes

Looks like there has been a major rethink in the coaching set-up, with Kirk and Cox moved sideways to make room for Tadhg and Macca as midfield coaches. A bit more run and gun? Bringing a rebounding half-back mindset to the midfield? Or is there a sense that the Brett Kirk motivational, blood and guts focus is out of step with how the game is developing?

My immediate take is that they've overhauled midfield. Both Kirk and Cox have been moved out and they've moved in two new coaches. And Blakey has become a line coach again!
    I guess it's an acknowledgement that it wasn't working in midfield.
    It's a pretty significant demotion for Kirk and in at the deep end for Macca!

I'm glad they've changed things up rather than repeating what they did before and hoping for a different result.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Looks like there has been a major rethink in the coaching set-up, with Kirk and Cox moved sideways to make room for Tadhg and Macca as midfield coaches. A bit more run and gun? Bringing a rebounding half-back mindset to the midfield? Or is there a sense that the Brett Kirk motivational, blood and guts focus is out of step with how the game is developing?
    Sounds like you're selling Kirky a bit short. Like the idea of McVeigh in midfield straight from playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Sounds like you're selling Kirky a bit short. Like the idea of McVeigh in midfield straight from playing.
    Yes, I probably am. I like the change though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Yes, I probably am. I like the change though.
    Reckon Kirk will do well with the young guys. Glad they've shaken it up a bit.

Wasn't Kirk one of those level 4 "senior coaches in waiting"? And now they've moved him into development. If he has ambitions to be a senior coach in the near future, that's a step in the wrong direction. And a vote of no confidence from the Swans.

Senior Player
    Not sure it's a demotion. Hard to judge. Development of young players vital and we do have a lot of them.

Not sure it's a demotion. Hard to judge. Development of young players vital and we do have a lot of them.
    It may not be a "demotion". Mark Williams is a very senior coach in a development sort of role at Richmond.

But it is a move away from being Horse's right hand man on match day and that whole coaching path. It might be the right move for Kirk and for the club, but he's less likely to fulfill any ambition to be coaching his own club in the near future.
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 4th November 2019 at 11:26 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It's a move away from being Horse's right hand man on match day and that whole coaching path. Mark Williams is a very senior coach in a development role at Richmond. It might be the right move for Kirk and for the club, but he's less likely to fulfill any ambition to be coaching his own club in the near future.
    Are you sure Mark Williams is still at Tigers?
    Thought he left some time ago.

Are you sure Mark Williams is still at Tigers?
    Thought he left some time ago.
    You are right, he left in 2017 I think. I don't think it changes my point.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    My immediate take is that they've overhauled midfield. Both Kirk and Cox have been moved out and they've moved in two new coaches. And Blakey has become a line coach again!
    I guess it's an acknowledgement that it wasn't working in midfield.
    It's a pretty significant demotion for Kirk and in at the deep end for Macca!

I'm glad they've changed things up rather than repeating what they did before and hoping for a different result.
    I don't know how you conclude that Cox has been moved 'out'.....he is still ruck coach and now has the added responsibility of analysing overall performance and strategy.

Cox and Kirk's moves may just be seen as trying a new midfield approach, which I think makes sense.....that area has been our achilles heel for a few seasons now but I think Kirky is perfect for that development role. We want kids coming through with their heads in the right place and willing to 'die for the jumper'.

I like the idea of Macca organising our mid's with Tadgh. Both attacking half backs who may shake up the way we approach the coalface.

I'm pretty happy with these changes.....

I'm excited by the changes. Just shows we are changing things up and trying to improve.

I'm not sure there's that much difference between what you and Mw are saying, stevo. I agree with you that Kirk is perfect for the development role and it is not necessarily a demotion (but also agree doesn't suggest he's about to move up to senior coach any time soon). Maybe Kirk is happy to be in Sydney and just stay at the Swans for some years to come (while kids are in school, and in the Academy too I think) so perhaps not too focused on pursuing a senior coach role in the short-medium term and just happy to be part of the fabric of the club he has contributed so much to building.

Cox has been moved out of his 'midfield' role while Macca and Tadhg have moved in, but he hasn't been demoted but rather given a role that plays to his strengths. He seems much more on track to be pursuing a senior coach role at another club in the medium term.

There is no replacement for Blakey's former role (don't remember exactly what this was called). Interesting he's been put in the one area of the field he's least likely to encounter Nick. Hopefully he'll be enthusiastic about being closer to the coalface and presumably will still keep some of his previous functions, coordinating and supporting the other functions.

Bring on the season start. It's still a long way to go. At least pre-season has started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast