Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Song - time to update?

Team Song - time to update?

The line under discussion actually seems to be a non sequitur.

Swans will go in and win over all
    While her loyal sons are marching
    Onwards to victory!

How do the Swans “go in and win” if they are busily marching?

So I suggest:

While our loyal fans are cheering
    Onwards to victory!

Makes more sense and solves the sons/daughters issue ......i

Ps: it’s actually the Notre Dame band that does the marching not the players.

https://youtu.be/c43ViMMspxQ
    Last edited by Meg; 23rd February 2021 at 06:41 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The line under discussion actually seems to be a non sequitur.

While her loyal sons are marching
    Onwards to victory!

How do the Swans “go in and win” if they are busily marching?

So I suggest:

While our loyal fans are cheering
    Onwards to victory!

Makes more sense and solves the sons/daughters issue ......i

Ps: it’s actually the Notre Dame band that does the marching not the players.

Notre Dame Victory March - YouTube
    Agreed - the use of 'sons' in the first line of the original song suggests the reference to 'sons' is actually to supporters:

"Rally sons of Notre Dame
    Sing her glory and sound her fame
    Raise her Gold and Blue
    And cheer with voices true"

Your change is great - someone email Tom.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Here we go with the PC again !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    This. Absolutely this.
    It so easy to reject a 'belief' because it seems 'over the top'. Just remember that the original tenet of PC was for everyone to respect everyone else, for the majority to respect and embrace the marginalised minorities......before it was hijacked by certain minority extremists who don't seem to know when to stop. It was these occasional extreme actions which had people suddenly yelling "that's PC gone too far!" or "that's PC bull@@@@!"....and in some cases that may have been true. It did the PC cause no favours, turning people against what they saw as left wing touchy feely crap.....but at it's core, PC is a worthy societal pursuit.

There's always the extreme who will attempt to exploit any situation, sometimes actually shooting themselves in the foot in doing so. But there is nothing inherently wrong with PC.....it is all about respect and there is nothing wrong with that. We just have to slightly tweak our mindset.....ie: stop thinking that any societal change is a challenge to your rights or will make your life worse off in some way.....and instead think, 'if it leads to more people in society being happy and content with their life, that can only be a good thing'. It's pretty simple really.....

Goes up to 11

Just let the girls either have their own song or alter the traditional words to suit them.

We waited 72 years to sing our song....dont mess with history
    Seems like I missed that 72 year period when we didn't win a single match. What a dark period in our history - no wonder we never mention it.

So someone raising the very good point that the women's team should perhaps have an alternative to singing 'sons' triggers such anger?

I for one am on the side of keeping the words as is for the men, and adjusting slightly and suitably for the women. No dramas from me.

Now if someone starts trying to stop us from shaking down the thunder from the sky, then I'll lose it.......

Thankfully, I'm so senile I can only hum the song. Humming is so inclusive.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thankfully, I'm so senile I can only hum the song. Humming is so inclusive.
    By ignoring the club song for the last 35 or so years I have found myself "included" in the largest group of Swans
    supporters of all, those that couldn't care less about it. It's great to be part of something again.

Opti-pessi-misti
    😐🤓

There are quite a few videos on YouTube of the University of Notre Dame band playing the Notre Dame Victory March including marching on the field before a match. I posted a link to one of these earlier in this thread.

I can see why this is such a hallowed and emotional tradition for Notre Dame supporters. Wouldn’t it be great if we could manage something similar (on a somewhat reduced scale) on the SCG before a home match. Perhaps some combined high school bands might be interested.

Would sure beat the raucous, unappealing game day ‘experience’ we usually have to endure.

An idea that at least could be considered when we once again threaten to play a home final - which will be sooner rather than later we hope.

Just let the girls either have their own song or alter the traditional words to suit them.

We waited 72 years to sing our song....dont mess with history
    Here we go with the reactionary old right wing crap again...Heaven forbid people from trying to make things better, or fairer, or non-discriminatory!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Would sure beat the raucous, unappealing game day ‘experience’ we usually have to endure.
    So too would silence.
    And "endure" is absolutely the right word for the game day 'experience'.
    One of the more cherished parts of my game day experience is sharing the action with other attendees - at the moment this is generally only possible by means of sign language.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    So too would silence.
    And "endure" is absolutely the right word for the game day 'experience'.
    One of the more cherished parts of my game day experience is sharing the action with other attendees - at the moment this is generally only possible by means of sign language.
    There is something particularly woeful about the acoustics at the SCG. It's not like there isn't a lot of "entertainment" at the other stadiums
    but you can at least hold a conversation with the person sitting next to you. Whereas you can't at the SCG. It's not just sports at the SCG
    that suffer. Anyone go to one of the U2 shows there in late 19?
    I fear the game day "experience" is only going to become more pervasive as time goes on, and we'll all just become bit players in a three hour
    long commercial.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I fear the game day "experience" is only going to become more pervasive as time goes on, and we'll all just become bit players in a three hour
    long commercial.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine an adman stamping on a humans mind—for ever." - Scotty from Marketing?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast