Page 433 of 521 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437443483 ... LastLast
Results 5,185 to 5,196 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I had some similar thoughts about midfielders in this year's draft. We could pick up a couple of good ones with our 2 second round picks.

What would you think about taking Jackson with our first rounder, if he's still available, and fill the midfield with a couple of these 2nd rounders along with Campbell and Gulden in next year's draft?

If we land Daniher as a FA next year, we should be solid all over the ground, with no fears heading into the post Buddy era. We've added a lot of pace the past few years. Jackson, Daniher and handful of solid midfielders looks nice for 2021 and beyond.
    I'd be quite happy to take Jackson with our first. Massive upside and if he is a success his true value might be approaching that of Grundy. Rucks who can tap and play as mids are worth their weight in gold.

We still need an inside mid and fortunately this draft is loaded with them. Robertson, Stephens, Dow, Rantall, Philp, Sharp as well more mature players like Partington, Hibberd, Bolton, et al are all inside mids that may be available after our round 1 pick.

The mock draft was interesting in how it was possible for decent players to slide. To have Serong, Mcasey, Stephens and Kemp still available at pick 10 is quite appealing.

For me Ash is the type of player we need off the HBF, but I suspect he is the most obvious what u see is what you get

A player like Ash who is equally a strong cut off marking defender as well as super quick and direct is not easy to find - especially a strong eastern wood / Rampe type build is ash

We lost a direct player like Jones which ensures we have flexible transitions
    Mills ain’t that zippy over 20m off the HBF
    Dawson more a great kick off HBF
    Ash could slot into our best 22 like rowbottom and play 10 plus snr games in 2020

Green appears to dominate amongst the boys he plays against but there is a very fair argument that we are seeing teams like richmond killing it without a Cripps or kennedy style player in their midfield.....counter argument is that if u find a seriously dominant tall inside midfielder u take them cause their rare to develop or draft. Interestingly would green start in our best 22 next season with Parker, keenedy, Hewett, Heeney etc ie quite a slow midfield in comparison to a effective dominant midfield such as richmond ?

Darymple and Kinnear both have stated we need to speed up our inside mid rotation but green could take over from kennedy 2021

Green still my 1st pick then Ash
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 14th November 2019 at 07:35 AM.

Goddard ranks our ruck division last. Our mids and defence 16th and our Fwds about 12th.

Category: | Herald Sun

Geez.
    Are we there yet?
    This is the longest trade period in the history of trade periods.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Goddard ranks our ruck division last. Our mids and defence 16th and our Fwds about 12th.

Category: | Herald Sun
    I think we are all quickly moving on from Brendon's 'rankings'. It will be deeply satisfying proving him wrong.

Veterans List

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Geez.
    Are we there yet?
    This is the longest trade period in the history of trade periods.
    ??

Goddard’s rankings just prove that he has zero credibility as a journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Barry I think we have different plans. I'm not sure either of them are as great as we think!

Yours is to swap our 5 for GWS' 6 plus a sweetener (but their next pick is in the 40s so wouldn't materially improve our draft position unless we can package it with others to move up). I think the only way it would work is if GWS include a future pick for 2020. So say our 5 becomes 6 plus a future second rounder

Mine is to keep our 5, bid on Green with it (assuming that Melbourne / Adelaide don't beat us to it), and then let GWS swap their pick 6 for our lower picks with a higher points value (which they then use to match the bid). The problem with that plan is that our other picks (25, 32 + 44) add up to less points than pick 6, so we'd have to get a 2020 future pick involved. But if GWS would do the deal with us, then we'd end up with picks 6 and 7 in the draft. This would mean our 25, 32 and a future second rounder become pick 7
    Very good summary Mark, we could possible get GWS's next year first round pick as the sweetener (which will be around pick 17 you'd think) because we are essentially giving them a top 6 pick.
    Either way, 2nd roundr is a minimum.

The problem with your option 2, is there is no guarantee GWS will trade picks with us. They could go to any other club and basically fish for the best deal, leaving swans with no upside.

With those two options available to GWS it does seem like a very astute move by them and I can't wait for the outrage and overreaction from Melbourne and subsequent trade bans, etc.
    I doubt this chance will come around again, so we must jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With those two options available to GWS it does seem like a very astute move by them and I can't wait for the outrage and overreaction from Melbourne and subsequent trade bans, etc.
    I doubt this chance will come around again, so we must jump on it.
    If GW$ are really interested in Jackson more than Green (and Melbourne don't draft or bid on either), then it would be much better for us if we keep pick 5 and bid on Green, because.

They'll be forced to choose between Green or Jackson, and there is a (I think strong) chance they will choose not to match so they can get Jackson.
    If we swap 5 for 6 then they can draft Jackson and then also match a bid on Green, meaning we potentially both give them Jackson and miss out on Green.

I don't understand why we'd do that for a future second rounder?