Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 15: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves @ SCG

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Best Players: C. Sinclair, A. Aliir, J. Laidler, C. O''Riordan, J. Rose, H. Marsh
    For once, I think that's actually a pretty fair list of who the best players actually were.

I also think it's a good list for the bests today. Aliir playing the whole game in defence tells me that he has been earmarked to come in to the senior team next week to cover the tall GWS setup. Best game for Rose for quite a while, although he was okay last week as well. But he kicked 4 super goals today. There's life in him yet. It's also good to see COR coming back into some good form over the past 2 weeks.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    For once, I think that's actually a pretty fair list of who the best players actually were.

Notice O'Riordan is often in the best. I wonder whether he will be retained long term. Hard to get into seniors at the moment. Seems to have developed reasonably well.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Agree and I also think cases could be made for a few more as well. Thought Murray was again excellent defensively and offensively off half back. Bj actually kicked the ball well for once. Talia very solid at the back on their tall forwards

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Notice O'Riordan is often in the best. I wonder whether he will be retained long term. Hard to get into seniors at the moment. Seems to have developed reasonably well.
    Actually last week was only his second time in the bests in 10 games. Would love to see what he can do in the seniors but there is an absolute logjam for defensive places at the Swans at the moment.

Goes up to 11
    I thought Rose was the absolute standout - as did others around me by the looks of things - he was the guy that really made it happen....

Veteran Site Admin
    I think that game, more so than the senior game that followed, showed just how far the Suns still need to develop as a club. There is no way, on paper, that the Suns team was a 100 point worse team than the Swans team. They had very similar numbers of listed players versus top-ups, access to equivalent standard of top-up players via the academies, and a midfield boasting the likes of Rischitelli, Hallahan and top-10 draft pick from last year in Brodie, a defence boasting Matt Shaw and another top 10 pick in Scrimshaw, and a big lump of a ruckman in Currie (who was pretty dominant at centre bounces). In contrast, I doubt the Swans had any AFL quality onballers playing - those who played in the middle are most likely to play elsewhere at senior level if/when they get their chances (like Marsh) or will probably be delisted at the end of the year (eg Jack).

I remember being really excited by Tom Nicholls when he first emerged onto the scene. It's really sad to see a player who showed that much athletic promise wandering around at NEAFL level having so little impact. Maybe he's just returning from injury (I've not bothered to go back and check his recent history) and I'm being unfair.

I don't know who I'd drop from the senior team (and how the side might be rejuggled) but AA is too good an athlete and too talented a footballer to remain in the NEAFL for much longer. He was a delight to watch yesterday and I believe the senior team will improve once he's back in the side. He made everything look so easy yesterday, like he had all the time in the world. And while he did have more time than he'll be afforded at senior level (obviously), it's his balance and calmness that made him stand out and we've already seen that this can translate to senior football.

My favourite moment of the game was in the 4th quarter, when AA made one of his forays down the wing and was chased hard by one of the young Suns top-ups (no 57), a lad with some serious pace. The lad caught Aliir, laid a perfect tackle and won himself a free kick for HTB. But then Aliir smothered his kick, collected the ball and loped off to set up another scoring opportunity for the Swans.

Another piece of play I enjoyed was an effort from Barkley in the 2nd quarter. He ran from one player to another, not laying a tackle but putting some pressure on the ball carrier. I think it was the 4th or 5th player he reached where he managed to effect a bump and turn the ball over back to the Swans. That off-the-ball work was typical of what the Swans showed all game and the Suns sadly lacked.

I don't know who I'd drop from the senior team (and how the side might be rejuggled) but AA is too good an athlete and too talented a footballer to remain in the NEAFL for much longer. He was a delight to watch yesterday and I believe the senior team will improve once he's back in the side. He made everything look so easy yesterday, like he had all the time in the world. And while he did have more time than he'll be afforded at senior level (obviously), it's his balance and calmness that made him stand out and we've already seen that this can translate to senior football.
    No Problems. Robbo and Florent come out for JPK and AA. Rampe doesn't have to play as a key defender. The best teams that we will play in the run home, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong all play 3 tall forwards so we actually need Aliir for proper coverage. Even if Rampe plays on Camerion next week, Aliir can run with Tomlinson on the wing. I'm in favour of a shorter side, especially if we gain speed, but we really are a bit too short to properly match some of the better sides. It's only because of Rampe's talent and Mills' high marking ability that we get by, and get by quite well, but we can do even better with Aliir in the side. I agree with you that's he's just too good to be playing in the NEAFL.

We will have to select a taller side next week. Do we bring back Sinclair or play a makeshift second ruck and AA?

The ruck battle is going to be key. Mumford seems to be much less effective in the last few weeks, but not sure Towers et al will work against Lobb.

Just rewatched Towers tap, handball receive and goal in the 2nd Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    No Problems. Robbo and Florent come out for JPK and AA. Rampe doesn't have to play as a key defender. The best teams that we will play in the run home, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong all play 3 tall forwards so we actually need Aliir for proper coverage. Even if Rampe plays on Camerion next week, Aliir can run with Tomlinson on the wing. I'm in favour of a shorter side, especially if we gain speed, but we really are a bit too short to properly match some of the better sides. It's only because of Rampe's talent and Mills' high marking ability that we get by, and get by quite well, but we can do even better with Aliir in the side. I agree with you that's he's just too good to be playing in the NEAFL.
    Fully agree. Out Robinson & Florent In Kennedy & Aliir

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Fully agree. Out Robinson & Florent In Kennedy & Aliir
    I had Kennedy and Haywood in for Robbo and Ollie (more so 'like for like')......is Will's foot still not right?

Senior Player
    I think that game, more so than the senior game that followed, showed just how far the Suns still need to develop as a club. There is no way, on paper, that the Suns team was a 100 point worse team than the Swans team. They had very similar numbers of listed players versus top-ups, access to equivalent standard of top-up players via the academies, and a midfield boasting the likes of Rischitelli, Hallahan and top-10 draft pick from last year in Brodie, a defence boasting Matt Shaw and another top 10 pick in Scrimshaw, and a big lump of a ruckman in Currie (who was pretty dominant at centre bounces). In contrast, I doubt the Swans had any AFL quality onballers playing - those who played in the middle are most likely to play elsewhere at senior level if/when they get their chances (like Marsh) or will probably be delisted at the end of the year (eg Jack).

I remember being really excited by Tom Nicholls when he first emerged onto the scene. It's really sad to see a player who showed that much athletic promise wandering around at NEAFL level having so little impact. Maybe he's just returning from injury (I've not bothered to go back and check his recent history) and I'm being unfair.

My favourite moment of the game was in the 4th quarter, when AA made one of his forays down the wing and was chased hard by one of the young Suns top-ups (no 57), a lad with some serious pace. The lad caught Aliir, laid a perfect tackle and won himself a free kick for HTB. But then Aliir smothered his kick, collected the ball and loped off to set up another scoring opportunity for the Swans.

Another piece of play I enjoyed was an effort from Barkley in the 2nd quarter. He ran from one player to another, not laying a tackle but putting some pressure on the ball carrier. I think it was the 4th or 5th player he reached where he managed to effect a bump and turn the ball over back to the Swans. That off-the-ball work was typical of what the Swans showed all game and the Suns sadly lacked.
    Great to hear Aliir had a good game. I really hope we find a way to give him a game next week. We need all the weapons we can muster against the Giants.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast