Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16: Sydney v Hawthorn

If Longmire was coaching the Hawks the Hawks still would not have lost

The Hawks on their day are the best team by a country mile

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    There's been a lot of chat this year from Swans players and Longmire about arresting momentum. They couldn't do it against Richmond, nor here.

The defence is shot. Richards and Shaw are sliding rapidly, and the Reserves seem bare of effective replacements. Unfortunately, Reid isn't the solution - he's only effective as a loose defender. I wouldn't mind seeing Xavier replace his suspended brother.

The problems in defence were the catalyst for the capitulation last night. We were on the way to winning the second quarter by 4 goals to 1, but let in two soft ones late. Same in the third quarter. We toiled in possession for a couple of points, then let in 5 goals from 6 inside 50s.

The forward line will look a lot better with McGlynn, Heeney and Rohan in it. The problems in defence have less evident solutions.

Nankervis was a bright spot - I thought he got better as the game went on.
    Amidst the suffocating oppression of the game it was a breath of fresh air to see us with a ruckmen that actually knows the craft. Can actually tap to advantage, do the important little things in close to give the mids an advantage, has a sharp left boot. His inclusion goes some way to filling the skill deficit in the side. Very impressive for a 20 year old and will be a required player next week. Coming up against the freaks will be great experience for him.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    I knew it was over when Rioli took a mark in the 2nd quarter - and Nankervis attempted to spoil on Christmas Eve.
    Still , what do you do in your D50 when Hawthorn has such a tall player , eh ?

I was getting ready with the positives well before full time , such as "ah well , at least we didn't lose to them by as much as Freo".Ooops - try again !!

I finally found a positive this morning : it was a + sign on my torch battery.

I hope Tippet improves over the next few weeks , so we can get something for him in the next trade period.

Absolute disaster and if we have to play Hawks again this season , we will lose badly , again.
    Might have to accept , with the probable retirements of Goodes and Shaw , plus blooding of youngsters in recent weeks , that we are in a re-building phase.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    How bad is it? In 13 seasons I've never left a game before the final siren. Until tonight.
    I did the same. I honestly cannot remember the last time I left before the final siren, but after sitting through last years GF and being taunted by the terrible Dawkes supporters and told to F^*&^** off back to Sydney, to watch a worse effort last night was just demoralising.

It was a shocking coaching effort and even worse by some/most players. There was no heart, no drive, no passion that I could see from the boundary line.

I agree with some other RWO's we must start as rebuild. Our defence is stuffed, our so called midfield is too slow and our forward structures that Horse has set up just don't work. How can Buddy try and out mark 2-3 defenders and when we kick slow high kicks to our forward line. When the ball hits the ground we now don't have any small forwards (hopefully when McGlynn, Rohan and Heeney get back we will) at the moment to keep the ball in.

There was no atmosphere last night, the team did not come to perform and the ground conditions even though they looked better than other times, to leave 4 bolts exposed is pretty bad.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    If Longmire was coaching the Hawks the Hawks still would not have lost

The Hawks on their day are the best team by a country mile
    This.

I haven't read any of this thread other than this last page, but I don't feel that awful about last night. I just think the Hawks are that good when they play at their best. Although the final margin was worse than the GF, I think the team played a little better last night. It was disappointing they completely gave up the ghost in the last term, but I thought the effort and intensity around the contest was reasonable for three quarters. It's just that when the Hawks won possession we had no way of getting it off them. Our defence did look disorganised but the Hawks forwards were brilliant too. Oh, and stating the obvious, we couldn't score.

To beat the Hawks I believe
    a) you have to hope they are a little down on their best; and
    b) start well

In the MCG game we started well, and were able to convert goals. It meant we were able to hang in there over the middle quarters when they were rampant, and take advantage of their errors at the end. At the contest we were reasonable last night to start. But just couldn't move the ball cleanly. That Lloyd miss was a killer. And when the Hawks get a head of steam up, their confidence feeds their skill level, and their skill level feeds their confidence.

I also think that, unlike sides like us and Freo, their brand of football is less physically taxing because it doesn't rely on applying intense pressure. That's why teams have a chance of getting back into a game against us or Freo, but much less so against the Hawks when they get going. I'm not sure about West Coast yet - certainly their pressure seems to be a key part of their game this year, but their skills have looked crisp too. Not yet sure which is the key factor for them.

Oh, and because I've not read the thread and didn't spot whatever happened at the game yesterday, what did Ted do that has everyone certain he'll be suspended?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    His bump on Mitchell collected him high.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    This.

I haven't read any of this thread other than this last page, but I don't feel that awful about last night. I just think the Hawks are that good when they play at their best. Although the final margin was worse than the GF, I think the team played a little better last night. It was disappointing they completely gave up the ghost in the last term, but I thought the effort and intensity around the contest was reasonable for three quarters. It's just that when the Hawks won possession we had no way of getting it off them. Our defence did look disorganised but the Hawks forwards were brilliant too. Oh, and stating the obvious, we couldn't score.

To beat the Hawks I believe
    a) you have to hope they are a little down on their best; and
    b) start well

In the MCG game we started well, and were able to convert goals. It meant we were able to hang in there over the middle quarters when they were rampant, and take advantage of their errors at the end. At the contest we were reasonable last night to start. But just couldn't move the ball cleanly. That Lloyd miss was a killer. And when the Hawks get a head of steam up, their confidence feeds their skill level, and their skill level feeds their confidence.

I also think that, unlike sides like us and Freo, their brand of football is less physically taxing because it doesn't rely on applying intense pressure. That's why teams have a chance of getting back into a game against us or Freo, but much less so against the Hawks when they get going. I'm not sure about West Coast yet - certainly their pressure seems to be a key part of their game this year, but their skills have looked crisp too. Not yet sure which is the key factor for them.

Oh, and because I've not read the thread and didn't spot whatever happened at the game yesterday, what did Ted do that has everyone certain he'll be suspended?
    Bumped Mitchell high with his shoulder - he will be suspended I expect, mainly because he moved, ever so slightly, to ensure contact - that is what will see him pinged. Mitchell naturally went down like a pack of spuds, being the cheating grub he is and all, but I'd be exceptionally surprised if Teddy gets off. Certainly won't help us next week against the tall Wet Coke forward line.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Just to put this into prospective in 1996 we beat the Roos by 79 pts during the season but they went on to beat us quiet comprehensible in the GF
    I just wanted to suggest to all the doomsayers that the season is not over & lets look at the positives.
    We were beaten but to my eyes everything went right for the Hawks & the opposite for us.
    We were competitive for long stretches of the game.
    We cannot blame the umpires & I think it's a bit over the top to suggest they are cheats & that the AFL should check their bank balances.This is defamitory!
    I'm not saying that the Hawks aren't raging favourittes for the flag but we are not out of it.
    We just need to put it together on the day.WE still have a bloody good football team!
    Also to all those heaping cr*p on Longmire just remember this coach won us our 5th flag & that was only 3 years ago.
    C'mon people a bit of faith.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    Well there's definitely a problem somewhere...could be coaching, could be psychology....there's just this inability to ...play football? I don't know....it's the lack of skill, the lack of positivity and the lack of leadership on the field...something is definitely wrong with the club...the last time I felt this way was when Eade was in his last days....
    I read this last night and gave it a little bit of thought. I woke up this morning sweating and yelling out Eade, Eade, Eade. I think this post is a real risk. The team will keep winning lots of games, but you can see the issues, you play finals but you know you are not a contender. The coach just yells in the box every 5 minutes, Eade does, Malthouse did, Parkin admitted you did it way too much, sometimes every game, and so does Longmire. Players are very sensitive for negative words, posture, displays and that creates a toxic environment with players under massive stress to NOT MAKE MISTAKES, and the structure and game plan makes it harder. I also believe that Longmire is a man manager coach but him and his crew cannot make positive changes in our structure.

We need positive coaching, leadership and a game plan that allows some mistakes. GWS, SAINTS, BULLDOGS play a more attacking game style, without the same cattle, but you can see what they are trying to do. With a forward line that we have and cant kick goals, you have to think about that!

Daisi, you have created nightmares for me.

Re Ted: Richards reported after Mitchell hit - AFL.com.au

He could get a fine if impact graded as low (Mitchell played the rest of the match) but I suspect it will be graded as medium impact with penalty of two matches down to one with early plea (same gradings and penalty as Franklin and Tippett a couple of matches ago).

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Re Ted: Richards reported after Mitchell hit - AFL.com.au

He could get a fine if impact graded as low (Mitchell played the rest of the match) but I suspect it will be graded as medium impact with penalty of two matches down to one with early plea (same gradings and penalty as Franklin and Tippett a couple of matches ago).
    Having just watched the video, I wouldn't be surprised if they pinged Ted for "intentional" and he gets two weeks (at least). That's pretty un-Ted like really but he wasn't contesting the ball. He shoved a shoulder out as he was running past Mitchell.

Senior Player
    I have lost the faith in the current team as it is but cannot see where we can improve with the restrictions. We do not appear to be jelling as a team and have too many deficiencies and no depth. No team will beat Hawks this year in a GF and that is demoralising.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast