Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEAFL discussion thread

Pushing for Selection
    Its a strange draw, only seven home games in total for Sydney (all Blacktown except one TBC) but 11 away games? (five in Queensland, five at other venues in Sydney, one in the ACT) plus the three byes. Meanwhile GWS get 10 home games and only eight road trips (five in QLD, two ACT & one in Sydney)?
    Both games for Sydney against Sydney Uni are away games, so maybe we gave them the extra game so we could play closer to the SCG.

Thanks Ugg. I saw the download and it just would not work properly on my phone.

Annoyed that they insist we play at Black town. It is the pits to get to and impossible if fans want to watch both games on the same day. Why can't we play at Henson? That is a good venue. It has a grandstand, broadcast box, coaches boxes and benches. So they cannot complain about that one.

Pity about NT Thunder. The matches up there were full of great atmosphere. Maybe Cyril and his family can help resurrect them. A match with all the Riolis, Longs & co I would think would attract just a few people as a fund raiser.

I am a little peeved at the NEAFL. I know our position with the building of the new Bum Sniffer Stadium is difficult. But putting our boys out at Backward Park in the middle of the industrial zone is just not on. This place is about as attractive to visit as a cane cutter's hut in Townsville. Hopefully someone in the office, now in Queensland of course, will realise how dreadfully they have tested our poor boys exposing the to all that dreadful pollution. Mind you they Mich be taking in great lung fulls of smoke during preseason.

I sincerely hope every person is safe and well. I am incredibly saddened and upset at the deaths when most of this would have been avoided if governments were no corrupt and derrelect. Sad really. Please stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Draw is out
    2020 Toyota NEAFL Premiership Season Fixture Released | NEWS | NEAFL

Beware: the link in that page purporting to be a PDF document of the draw is actually a huge image of the draw

With the demise of the NT Thunder, there are now 9 teams and now 5 finals spots (down from 6). Somehow this has turned into a 4 week finals series instead of the 3 weeks that has been running for a few years now.

From a Swans point of view, no curtain raisers again I assume to protect the SCG pitch while the SFS is still being rebuilt. However strangely after all the hoo-hah made about the redevelopment of Lakeside Oval, no games are scheduled there (there are 2 TBCs) and we are using Blacktown as our home ground again with 6 games scheduled there.

Our trip to the NT of course is gone and is replaced by a second game against Sydney Uni.

Swans draw
    R1 Gold Coast (Metricon)
    R2 Sydney Uni (TBC)
    R3 GIANTS (Blacktown)
    R4 Brisbane (Moreton Bay)
    R5 Bye
    R6 Canberra (Phillip Oval)
    R7 Gold Coast (Metricon)
    R8 Redland (Blacktown)
    R9 GIANTS (Giants Stadium)
    R10 Sydney Uni (Henson Park)
    R11 Bye
    R12 Brisbane (South Pine)
    R13 GIANTS (Giants Stadium)
    R14 Aspley (Blacktown)
    R15 Gold Coast (Blacktown)
    R16 Brisbane (Blacktown)
    R17 Giants (Giants Stadium)
    R18 Southport (Fankhauser Reserve)
    R19 Gold Coast (TBC)
    R20 Bye
    R21 Brisbane (Blacktown)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Practice game fixture is out

2020 Toyota NEAFL Practice Match Schedule
    Saturday, March 7
    GIANTS v Canberra at Tom Wills Oval, 1pm
    Aspley v Gold Coast at Graham Rd, 1.30pm
    Southport v Redland at Fankhauser Reserve, 2pm

Saturday, March 14
    Sydney v Sydney Uni at Tramway Oval, 11am
    Aspley v Redland at Graham Rd, 1.30pm

Saturday, March 21

Canberra v Sydney at Alan Ray Oval, 11.30am
    Aspley v Southport at Graham Rd, 1.30pm
    Morningside (QAFL) v Brisbane at Jack Esplen Oval, 2pm
    Gold Coast v Redland at Metricon Stadium, 2.30pm
    GIANTS v Sydney Uni at Tom Wills Oval, 3pm

Saturday, March 28

Brisbane v Gold Coast at South Pine Sports Complex, 11am
    GIANTS v Sydney at Tom Wills Oval, 11am

Good to see at least one match at Tramway, even if only a NEAFL practice match. Great opportunity to see our new recruits in action.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Practice game fixture is out

2020 Toyota NEAFL Practice Match Schedule
    Saturday, March 7
    GIANTS v Canberra at Tom Wills Oval, 1pm
    Aspley v Gold Coast at Graham Rd, 1.30pm
    Southport v Redland at Fankhauser Reserve, 2pm

Saturday, March 14
    Sydney v Sydney Uni at Tramway Oval, 11am
    Aspley v Redland at Graham Rd, 1.30pm

Saturday, March 21

Canberra v Sydney at Alan Ray Oval, 11.30am
    Aspley v Southport at Graham Rd, 1.30pm
    Morningside (QAFL) v Brisbane at Jack Esplen Oval, 2pm
    Gold Coast v Redland at Metricon Stadium, 2.30pm
    GIANTS v Sydney Uni at Tom Wills Oval, 3pm

Saturday, March 28

Brisbane v Gold Coast at South Pine Sports Complex, 11am
    GIANTS v Sydney at Tom Wills Oval, 11am
    Woohoo, practice game at Ainslie!

I noticed that we have listed our NEAFL players outside of our main list. No Campbell or Gulden. I'm assuming they are still academy players and as such can be used as top ups when required?

I think the 7 players listed turn 19 this year and were draft eligible last year. I think as overage players this means they can still train with the team and play in the reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I noticed that we have listed our NEAFL players outside of our main list. No Campbell or Gulden. I'm assuming they are still academy players and as such can be used as top ups when required?
    Where did you notice this? I can't see it on the Swans website. I just checked the NEAFL page and found this - Players | Season | NEAFL - but it changed from being out of date (e.g. including Durak Tucker) to just having our current list with no extras while I was on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I think the 7 players listed turn 19 this year and were draft eligible last year. I think as overage players this means they can still train with the team and play in the reserves.
    They remain part of the academy and play the academy series, and even allies if they are a late developer. The neafl rules provide that the four afl clubs nominate up to 7 NDS players. This doesn't stop them playing a gulden or campbell. However given they already know gulden and campbell, it is questionable whether they would flog them in the neafl too much. I don't think blakey, mills or heeney played much neafl.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    They remain part of the academy and play the academy series, and even allies if they are a late developer. The neafl rules provide that the four afl clubs nominate up to 7 NDS players. This doesn't stop them playing a gulden or campbell. However given they already know gulden and campbell, it is questionable whether they would flog them in the neafl too much. I don't think blakey, mills or heeney played much neafl.
    Will be interesting to see but I think they are more likely to play these guys in the NEAFL than the academy series. Like you say , unless they are a late developer , I would have thought the academy would be more focused on giving the 18s and some 17s a go at the academy series and if I was a 19 I would rather play NEAFL and show I could handle that.

As for Gulden and Campbell, I think your right, their top priority will be showing through the academy series and allies games that they rightly deserve their position in the draft. This will be particularly relevant this year as their are more games against Melbourne teams than last year .

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Where did you notice this? I can't see it on the Swans website. I just checked the NEAFL page and found this - Players | Season | NEAFL - but it changed from being out of date (e.g. including Durak Tucker) to just having our current list with no extras while I was on the page.
    Hmmm, it seems that we've been searching for stuff, while the NEAFL page has been updating. Last night, I eventually found the previously mentioned list, but it seems to have now disappeared as a separate entity. But if you go to the page that you linked to and change 'all clubs' to 'Sydney Swans' that will give you a list, that now includes the seven academy players: numbers 50-56. All of them were eligible for the last draft, but didn't get picked up or didn't go somewhere else, like the SANFL: which Ellem and Parks apparently did.

I assume that the club thinks they're promising enough, to have a chance of earning an eventual promotion. Thinking back to last season, I certainly think that Thorne has a good chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Hmmm, it seems that we've been searching for stuff, while the NEAFL page has been updating. Last night, I eventually found the previously mentioned list, but it seems to have now disappeared as a separate entity. But if you go to the page that you linked to and change 'all clubs' to 'Sydney Swans' that will give you a list, that now includes the seven academy players: numbers 50-56. All of them were eligible for the last draft, but didn't get picked up or didn't go somewhere else, like the SANFL: which Ellem and Parks apparently did.

I assume that the club thinks they're promising enough, to have a chance of earning an eventual promotion. Thinking back to last season, I certainly think that Thorne has a good chance.
    Will be interesting with the few that stayed on - some will be there for the further experience and Im sure hoping for a promotion but the reality is that few players get taken from the 19s - Brown was the only one I can think of and he only lasted a year on the list.

From a list management perspective, agree that Thorne is probably the pick of them but his chances will have been hurt by Gulden who is pretty much the same type of player but better. Unless they are looking for two small endurance midfielders he will find it difficult to be picked up by the swans.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast