Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Great expectations

4/8 with buddy season 2019

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Disagree. A fit Buddy is far and away our best chance of climbing back up the ladder. With a supposedly easier fixture second.

If Buddy doesn't play the great majority of games, and it's not looking great with his 10 week break underway, we'll get nowhere near the top 8 this year.
    I think that's ludicrously undervaluing the rest of the squad, but time will tell.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I do believe that out of adversity comes opportunity. Based on this view, the doubt about Buddy for the start of the season may create opportunities for others to flourish leaving a long-term gain for the team.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Anyone notice how Will Gould went in the 2km? Given he was very unfit at Combine time after Premiership partying hard!

I was not positioned near the finish line so don't know how he finished. He ran in the third group and was coming fourth quite late in the run. I wrote down Sinclair, Gray, Maibaum, Gould, Rowles as a rough order on one of the later laps. Though they were all fairly close together.

Also he seemed to participate in the whole training session without difficulty.
    Last edited by SeanM; 12th January 2020 at 03:41 AM.

It was interesting that Kinnear described Gould as a busy player

From memory gould did 21 something in the yo yo test which is pretty good

I remember someone posted here recently that Buddy regretted rushing back for R1 last year. I hope he isn't rushed back again this year and that Buddy is able to do a proper preseason workload, even if it means missing the first few rounds. I'd rather he plays a FULL NEAFL game than playing limited minutes in the seniors (which could be detrimental to injury, recalling how he did his hammy last year after extended time on the bench).

How well we start this year will probably have the greatest influence on Buddy's return, but he's early absence will give the chance to play Naismith, Sinkers, Reid & McCartin in the same team. I'm particularly interested how the Naismith/Sinkers ruck combo will work with Sinkers predominantly as a forward.

++1 KSAS on Sinkers as relief ruck

Better than average article on Swans website with Horse talking about our forwards: Forward line a strong point: Longmire. In particular his comments about Buddy and how he might be used higher up the ground are a bit illuminating.

The attached article also reminded me that Callum Mills is the only next gen Swan in the leadership group, and when thinking of leadership I thought of Luke Hodge and the a comparison I made some time ago with him and young Mills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I've nothing against giving Mills a run in the middle, but I also think some may be underestimating his value to the backline. I wonder whether he could well become the equivalent of Hodge in the Hawks teams, quarterbacking from the back half.
    Hodge was used in the midfield at the Hawks but only really reached his peak when he took on that quarterback role.

There are differences of course, Mills is genuinely courageous but Hodge was also a thug sniper, but this is my great expectation of Mills.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 16th January 2020 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Better than average article on Swans website with Horse talking about our forwards: Forward line a strong point: Longmire. In particular his comments about Buddy and how he might be used higher up the ground are a bit illuminating.
    Noted - but no mention of a resting Ruckman/Sinkers or Nick Blakey amongst the 9 forward line options listed.

If we play Blakey on one wing and Buddy on the other, it'd have to create some sort of record for the biggest pair of wingmen in the games history.

I wonder if the Saints would consider playing Daniel against Nick "I'll get you Butler" Blakey, and if Nick can grow a mustache yet?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 16th January 2020 at 01:14 PM.

I am guessing that this is the best thread for mulling over individual players trajectory / 2020 performance

Id love to review a few of the categories of players that can make a serious difference to our team competitiveness.

Given we are a very young inexperienced team vs the competition the first group of players id like to review are the more middle aged, either new to the club or who havent featured due to injury but have some AFL experience as a minimum.

They know how to train and conduct themselves. They are arguably AFL players albeit fringe through to 100 game players which is no small effort. They are not necessarily X factor players or part of our elite / emerging category.

They have an opportunity to make a top 22 spot their own OR as a minimum feature in 10 plus games in the senior team for 2020.

As a coach I would look at these players that can offer specific utility to the squad and can become dependable to play specific roles that help out team function better. They have the ability to maybe step up individually. They more so provide greater opportunity for other more dominant players in our team, to play with a little more freedom and expression of talent......end result to help us win more games.

They are link players, pressure players, shut down players and or hold their opposite number accountable.

Ryan Clarke
    Jackson Thurlow
    Sam Grey
    Squizzy Taylor
    Kainden Brand
    Sam Naismith
    Robbie Fox
    Lewis Melican
    Harry Cunningham

I included Harry C due to fighting back from injury and now being in a younger less experienced team. Cunningham was a good link player in an experienced team and played an outside role. Can he step up and become the experienced go to player or will he be fighting just as hard as everyone listed above to maintain a top22 spot ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast