Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: Gold Coast Suns Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Metricon Stadium

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Sat near us Friday night. I failed to bail him up to ask what glaring deficiencies in his game are keeping him out of the side. Glaring deficiencies, yep I've seen some of those at senior level this year.
    Are you talking about Aliir? I assumed he didn't travel to Adelaide with the other emergencies Newman and Dawson given he played in the NEAFL game and the other 2 didn't.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Are you talking about Aliir? I assumed he didn't travel to Adelaide with the other emergencies Newman and Dawson given he played in the NEAFL game and the other 2 didn't.
    No, Dawson. He, Newman & Dennis Carroll sat together in the Swans members area of the stand to watch the game.

I assumed Ludwig was tongue in cheek referring to Dawson but maybe he meant Aliir! I'd like to see both in the side but probably now not until 2018.

No, Dawson. He, Newman & Dennis Carroll sat together in the Swans members area of the stand to watch the game.

I assumed Ludwig was tongue in cheek referring to Dawson but maybe he meant Aliir! I'd like to see both in the side but probably now not until 2018.
    I assume every Ludwig post is about Aliir unless proven otherwise.

I assume every Ludwig post is about Aliir unless proven otherwise.
    Even I'm not sure who I was talking about.

Anyway, I would be more concerned about the 3 players in our senior side who have known glaring deficiencies and lets see how glaring the deficiencies really are for those showing good form in the NEAFL.

I agree with ugg that Rose can certainly improve the defensive side of his game and tends to pick and choose his moments, but is very capable of applying good forward pressure. I think the supposed disposal errors by Dawson are exaggerated. When a player has so many possessions they are bound to make a few errors. His skills are usually very good.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Even I'm not sure who I was talking about.

Anyway, I would be more concerned about the 3 players in our senior side who have known glaring deficiencies and lets see how glaring the deficiencies really are for those showing good form in the NEAFL.

I agree with ugg that Rose can certainly improve the defensive side of his game and tends to pick and choose his moments, but is very capable of applying good forward pressure. I think the supposed disposal errors by Dawson are exaggerated. When a player has so many possessions they are bound to make a few errors. His skills are usually very good.
    You want to see disposal errors, look at the seniors!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Rose for Hayward isn't crazy. Rose seems to have been consistently in the bests in the last few weeks. Can put on pressure and kick goals, right?
    It will be interesting re Hayward. Apparently he pulled out of a contest to avoid putting his body in against Adelaide. This is a bit of a no no in the swans culture. Didn't have a good game. Personally I would bring Rose in.

I don't deny Rose has had a great run in recent weeks offensively but I think that's only a part of his game to take into consideration.

To be really frank, I don't think the defensive side of his game is good enough for long enough. Part of that is related to his lack of speed compared to a Hayward, Towers, Florent or Cunningham. I don't deny he has had a great run in recent weeks

To me the main issue for Rose is his defensive side of his game isn't good enough consistently throughout the game. It might sound paradoxical but I think the one of the main criteria that the Swans coaches consider when picking their small/medium forwards is their defensive side of the game.

From my point of view, Rose lacks the speed that a Hayward, Towers, Florent or Cunningham possess. In addition, I don't think his kicking skills are that flash, certainly I think he turns the ball over then he should be. Dawson also suffers from these two issues to a certain degree, they are both long kicks but not necessarily accurate ones. Dawson is playing amazing football mainly as a inside midfielder with stints up forward in the NEAFL, but if he were to come the senior team it would almost certainly be as a forward and very little time in the midfield if at all.

Form is certainly a big factor to take into consideration, the other would be their performances on the training track. There was an audio interview with Longmire recently about Hayward (can't remember the source of the intreview though) where Longmire said that once he what Hayward could do during training he knew he had to pick him despite having played only 1 preseason game. There also needs to be an opportunity, a spot or role in the team that would suit the player under consideration regardless of his form in the NEAFL.
    Hi Ugg,

Are you sure about the lack of speed? I've watched Rose the last month or so when they have played in Sydney, maybe it's the flashing blond locks, but he looks very quick to me! He also looks leaner than he did at the start of the year. I wonder if he has had a brush with possible de-listing and has responded.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Hi Ugg,

Are you sure about the lack of speed? I've watched Rose the last month or so when they have played in Sydney, maybe it's the flashing blond locks, but he looks very quick to me! He also looks leaner than he did at the start of the year. I wonder if he has had a brush with possible de-listing and has responded.
    Has a contract for 2018 but may look to be traded for greater opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Hi Ugg,

Should clarify my comments a little. I'm not saying he's super slow, I just don't think he is as quick as Hayward, Cunningham or Florent who I would categorise as in the express class.

Should clarify my comments a little. I'm not saying he's super slow, I just don't think he is as quick as Hayward, Cunningham or Florent who I would categorise as in the express class.
    It is true that he's only a medium paced runner, but he's quite evasive and has a lot of tricks in marking contests and with ball in hand.

Senior Player
    How many hitouts did Aliir get? I've been trying to find the stats myself, but am coming up short.
    C'mon Chels!

Aliir 12 Talia 10 Pink 10

Crossley 59 Beaman 1 Burke 1

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast