Page 518 of 521 FirstFirst ... 18418468508514515516517518519520521 LastLast
Results 6,205 to 6,216 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    No need for trades. We’d get Daniher for nothing as a free agent.
    With at least two potential high'ish academy selections this year, we won't be burning high draft picks to get Daniher when he can come for free as an RFA, providing the Dodo just accepts he wants out and takes the compo pick. Daniher seems to have a long road ahead just to get playing again

An article about Brady Rowles pre-draft, which also dips its lid to Dylan Stephens at the end as another Sunraysia product: Potential AFL draftee Brady Rowles plays the waiting game. The key take away is that it would seem Brady is not too much of a flight risk. A) He comes from rural Victoria, close to the NSW border. B) His parents are separated and his dad lives in Queensland. C) He already boarded a year with a host family in Bendigo in 2019. Apart from that he seems fairly mature in what he had to say.

A small tidbit that emerged was that the Swans were the club that presented potential draftees in interviews with a choice of 4 toys to choose from and asked them to explain their choices. Would be interesting to ask the recruiters why. I imagine it gives interviewees an opportunity to show how they can react to something unexpected and be a bit creative. Get them out of their rote, drilled answers to standard questions.

And another article with a focus on Brady by Chris Doerre, which compares him to Paul Seedsman: AFL Draft Wrap Linebreaker Brady Rowles likened to damaging Crow.

An interesting aside is the acknowledgment here that league wide there has been a drift towards drafting faster, more explosive players, a trend the Swans have clearly been very much a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    And another article with a focus on Brady by Chris Doerre, which compares him to Paul Seedsman: AFL Draft Wrap Linebreaker Brady Rowles likened to damaging Crow.

An interesting aside is the acknowledgment here that league wide there has been a drift towards drafting faster, more explosive players, a trend the Swans have clearly been very much a part of.
    also note the short takes on Dylan Stephens and Will Gould . . .

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Joe Daniher update:

Heading to a groin guru in Ireland......

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...15-p53rif.html
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Joe Daniher update:

Heading to a groin guru in Ireland......

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...15-p53rif.html
    What have I been saying. This Osteitis Pubis is, in some people, a chronic condition. His brother never recovered from it. If he plays again it won't be soon by the looks of it.

Yes we did dodge a bullet. If fit he would be a great asset but as it is he is just another player in the injury list. Sad that such a talent is being wasted but that's how it is sometimes. I can remember we got this wonderful little rover, an Indigenous kid, Jamie Lawson, who broke his leg and never played again.

Sent from my U27 using Tapatalk

OT not as linear as that

it is more about finding exactly what level of recovery and management is required

ive had OT 2yrs and same with other close friends

there are outliers and people who cant return but not many

between myself and close friends who we were playing PL soccer, Sydney Comp AFL, Rep basketball, rep oztag and touch footy and or marathon trail running, rock climbing etc and all of us returned 90 to 99% which was plenty enough

same for pro athletes like JPK or bill slater in rugby league in managing and still competing at much higher levels.........probably 1 in 5 players go through groin and OT at some stage in professional sport and have to manage a season or two or the rest of their career

its all about management, reducing scar tissue from other injuries in and around same region and supporting muscle groups

the best trail runners in the world stretch up to 2hrs a day so why not more footy players going to that level........some footy players have to do yoga and specific stretching to the max to manage injuries and as JD admitted he didnt do enough before returning

paul okon australian player with his injuries including OT had to stretch 60mins morn and 60mins evening

if that is what it takes that is what it takes and JD is finding out the hard way
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    What have I been saying. This Osteitis Pubis is, in some people, a chronic condition. His brother never recovered from it. If he plays again it won't be soon by the looks of it.

Yes we did dodge a bullet. If fit he would be a great asset but as it is he is just another player in the injury list. Sad that such a talent is being wasted but that's how it is sometimes.I can remember we got this wonderful little rover, an Indigenous kid, Jamie Lawson, who broke his leg and never played again..

Sent from my U27 using Tapatalk

I was there at the MCG when Jamie Lawson broke his leg against Richmond (1994 I think?). He did it early in the game & not realising that would be his last ever game watching him being stretchered off. He had serious wheels, one of the quickest players I've ever seen who've donned the red & white. I recall him later receiving compensation from the club as a result of leg operation going wrong.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I was there at the MCG when Jamie Lawson broke his leg against Richmond (1994 I think?). He did it early in the game & not realising that would be his last ever game watching him being stretchered off. He had serious wheels, one of the quickest players I've ever seen who've donned the red & white. I recall him later receiving compensation from the club as a result of leg operation going wrong.
    He took the club to court to get that compensation too. The settlement details remain private. He claimed the club just left him in the lurch without support after he finished.....he may be right. This was pre Roos days....we were not as professional and holistic back in the 90's as we are now.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He took the club to court to get that compensation too. The settlement details remain private. He claimed the club just left him in the lurch without support after he finished.....he may be right. This was pre Roos days....we were not as professional and holistic back in the 90's as we are now.
    It was the AFL overall, not just the Swans, who needed to do a lot of work back then on looking after injured players. Since then the AFLPA has done an excellent job in building in provisions for this type of scenario into the CBA- there's explicit provisions built in now around payments to someone who is injured in what turns out to be their final game, as well as a discretionary fund that can provide additional money.

I don't know the details of Jamie's situation, but people like him were trailblazers when it came to getting the AFL to acknowledge it was something that needed to be cleaned up.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    OT not as linear as that

it is more about finding exactly what level of recovery and management is required

ive had OT 2yrs and same with other close friends

there are outliers and people who cant return but not many

between myself and close friends who we were playing PL soccer, Sydney Comp AFL, Rep basketball, rep oztag and touch footy and or marathon trail running, rock climbing etc and all of us returned 90 to 99% which was plenty enough

same for pro athletes like JPK or bill slater in rugby league in managing and still competing at much higher levels.........probably 1 in 5 players go through groin and OT at some stage in professional sport and have to manage a season or two or the rest of their career

its all about management, reducing scar tissue from other injuries in and around same region and supporting muscle groups

the best trail runners in the world stretch up to 2hrs a day so why not more footy players going to that level........some footy players have to do yoga and specific stretching to the max to manage injuries and as JD admitted he didnt do enough before returning

paul okon australian player with his injuries including OT had to stretch 60mins morn and 60mins evening

if that is what it takes that is what it takes and JD is finding out the hard way
    So JD just needs to stop being a lazy bastard and stretch more ? Case closed....

I’ll tell you one professional athlete who never came back from his groin issues: Darcy Daniher, who you might also know as Joe’s older brother.

I think Joe’s cooked, and I think Dodoro had the chance to offload a lemon and drove too hard a bargain. I guess they only have him for one more year so nothing much to lose there. I’d love for Joe to come good but it ain’t looking good for him.

PS what is OT ? Is it similar to OP ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darcy Moore is out of contract again end of season. Assuming JD has another injury ravaged season and we lose interest, I wonder if we would be keen on Moore? I know he’s had some injury issues also but he put together a hell of a season last year, and we do have some question marks down back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk