Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Round 16: Sydney v Hawthorn

Veterans List
    Changes this week are firming to

OUT - Tippett, Bird, Ted

IN - Pyke, Heeney, Laidler

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I only read the blurb but what he says is what I have been thinking all this year. Not only is our 2012 game plan with a few tweaks, so, so predictable but we have just shoved Buddy and KT into it and continued on. It was interesting to see that with both of them out we still won, no probs, that's how we have played for the last x number of years. Put Buddy and KT back in, and yet again we see how easily they are shut down when in the forward line. We do not yet know how to maximise their skills and talents nor have we an effective plan B for when teams drop extra players back. Watching Buddy on Sat. night I wondered if he was about ready to give up. If it is frustrating to watch I can't imagine what it is like for him.

What is a mystery to me is that we went after 2 forwards with proven ability, at considerable cost, but we stick with a game plan/forward structure that functions as well or even better without them. Maybe we should stick with KT as our number 1 ruck man (when he is available) and put Buddy permanently on the wing. Goodesy and Reid are good enough to keep the opposition key backs busy and we don't bomb the ball in long on top of their heads quite so much.

The Hawks really are impressive in the way they change things up and are always at the cutting edge. Like surrounding Buddy with the arc of players when he was kicking for goal, and coming out on Sat. night very controlled, smooth, confident and clinical after a period of physically roughing teams up, especially the Swans.
    We don't have enough or any small forwards. Put Heeney and McGlynn in there at the feet of Franklin and you will see a difference. I would rather see Tippett as purely a ruckman which will make a our forward line less predictable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Jack: We can't dwell on loss - sydneyswans.com.au

Another diatribe by a captain who doesn't stand up and be counted. Both him and Macca go missing along with the rest and they do not lead by example. their disposal was just as crappy as every other player. They could both take a good look at Lukie Parker and see what a real leader is. He stood up. He tried to get things going and get some cohesion in the team. Same with Goodsie. Goodsie showed real leadership with his young mate Parks.
    Surely you are gagging Wolfy. Jack was one of the few who had a go on Saturday for most of the game.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We don't have enough or any small forwards. Put Heeney and McGlynn in there at the feet of Franklin and you will see a difference. I would rather see Tippett as purely a ruckman which will make a our forward line less predictable.

- - - Updated - - -

Surely you are gagging Wolfy. Jack was one of the few who had a go on Saturday for most of the game.
    So was McVeigh.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Itensity wasn't the problem, it was our skills and gameplan.
    It's all three! We are in trouble. Fringe players have to step up big time, established players have to step up big time and the coaching panel has to step up big time, and come up with better game day strategies, and better training drills that focus on precision disposal and elite decision making when under pressure. We have slipped down the pecking order in all of these areas, and need to turn it all around fast, or our ladder position will soon reflect the truth of our predicament. Also, it's time for some 'Bloods' pride to kick in.....BIG TIME!!!

Though I think it was possibly a chance to utter the words that sports fans worldwide might like to hear more often, but pretty well never hear, "I'm sorry, but the game plan was crap".

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Though I think it was possibly a chance to utter the words that sports fans worldwide might like to hear more often, but pretty well never hear, "I'm sorry, but the game plan was crap".
    As we did in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, we can only but dream.....I know that sounds negative, but I can't believe I could feel so low about my club while it sits in the top four......really weird.

Interesting that Parker has challenged his $1000 fine. If he loses the fine will increase to $1500. I assume he believes it was an accident and doesn't want any form of blemish on his record. I'm sure it was an accident but I don't like his chances of getting the finding overturned. Too many viewings by too many people of the incident in slow motion which always makes contact look premeditated.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Interesting that Parker has challenged his $1000 fine. If he loses the fine will increase to $1500. I assume he believes it was an accident and doesn't want any form of blemish on his record. I'm sure it was an accident but I don't like his chances of getting the finding overturned. Too many viewings by too many people of the incident in slow motion which always makes contact look premeditated.
    I've not heard of any player challenging a fine before. Is this unusual?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    I've not heard of any player challenging a fine before. Is this unusual?
    I can't recall another challenge, players usually seem to pay up and run off laughing. Which is why I am assuming Parker is offended at the decision as it implies it was more than an accident.

Veterans List
    There was a player a few weeks back that challenged their fine and they got off. I can't recall who it was though.

After thinking some more about the Parker incident, I can see why he is upset. Remember Stevie Johnson's hit in Jarrad McVeigh's groin earlier this year? The MRP kindly said that Johnson was merely trying to block McVeigh�s passage to the ball and, in doing so, made contact to McVeigh�s groin area. "It was the view of the panel that Johnson�s actions were not considered reportable as he was trying to win position for the ball, had it been loose. No further action was taken."

Well Parker was in a legitimate leap to take a mark. No wonder he is annoyed.