Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: NT Thunder v Sydney Swans Reserves @ TIO Stadium

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I can see the logic in all of this. I wonder if anyone in Horse's inner sanctum can? How does Aliir / Towers compare to Goodesy height wise?
    Goodes - 1.94cm

2012 Draft Combine Stats:
    Towers - 1.89cm / Standing Vertical Leap - 85cm (League record in 2012) / Running Vertical Leap - 89cm
    Aliir - 1.96cm / Standing Vertical Leap - 70cm / Running Vertical Leap - 87cm
    Last edited by magic.merkin; 2nd May 2017 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I can see the logic in all of this. I wonder if anyone in Horse's inner sanctum can? How does Aliir / Towers compare to Goodesy height wise?
    it's logical but I'm not sure it makes sense. Might be worth trialling but at NEAFL level first. Overall I'm not convinced.

I think rucks exist for a reason. Plus the game has a vested interest in maintaining the role because we all know the game loves its traditions and the romanticism of that. (I'm in favour too.) One of the oft-trotted-out selling points of AFL is that it's suitable for all body sizes. So, if coaches actually succeed in eliminating the need for rucks it wouldn't surprise me to see the AFL change the rules to put an end to that.

Veterans List
    Full replay of the Swans reserves vs NT Thunder on NITV at 9.30 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Goodes - 1.94cm

Towers - 1.89cm / Standing Vertical Leap - 85cm (League record in 2012) / Running Vertical Leap - 89cm
    Of course. Now I remember that Towers broke the record in his draft year. He may not be as tall as others but he can leap higher.

Ludwig, doesnt Towering suffer from Sinclair Butter Fingers Disease?
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 2nd May 2017 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    it's logical but I'm not sure it makes sense. Might be worth trialling but at NEAFL level first. Overall I'm not convinced.

I think rucks exist for a reason. Plus the game has a vested interest in maintaining the role because we all know the game loves its traditions and the romanticism of that. (I'm in favour too.) One of the oft-trotted-out selling points of AFL is that it's suitable for all body sizes. So, if coaches actually succeed in eliminating the need for rucks it wouldn't surprise me to see the AFL change the rules to put an end to that.
    In its infinite wisdom of trying to produce fewer stoppages, the AFL has dramatically changed the role and importance of the ruckman. Teams are already catching on. Josh Dunkley and Shawn Grigg have both been ruckmen at around the ground stoppages. Cam Pedersen was forced to be the Melbourne ruckman due to injuries to Gawn and Spencer and outplayed Bellchambers in the Essendon game. Some say Polly Farmer was the best ruckman in the game and he was only 191 cms.

As long as there are stoppages, there will still be ruckmen, but what constitutes a good ruckman has changed, because the game has changed. Teams that learn that the best use of the ruckman is to get one of your best players at the stoppages creating a mismatch of having an extra mobile player versus a lumbering player will reap the benefits of this strategy. I don't think there is any particular formula for what constitutes a good modern ruckman. The main characteristic is that the ruckman must make a contribution around the ground, and this can be done in any number of ways.

Tippett can be one of the best ruckmen in the game if he competes at the stoppages, takes marks and kick 40 plus goals (and not get injured all the time).

Towers has played as a 3rd man up and has done it successfully, as you might imagine with his leap. He's 27 yo and contracted till next year. He's not good enough to make the team in any regular position, so why not try him in the ruck. I agree that we should try him out in the reserves first and see how it goes. His problem is that he's been a poor decision maker and doesn't apply enough effective defensive pressure, although his pace should make him very good in this aspect of the game. He's a good mark and usually kicks well enough.

There's little point in trying to match it physically with some ruckmen, like Sandilands, NicNat, Mummy and Max Gawn, so it's best to find a way to work around the fact that you are going to lose the hitouts. In the weekend games, Melbourne lost the hitouts 45 to 25 but won the inside 50s by 1. GWS won the hitouts 62 to 25, but won the inside 50s 63 to 50, so clearly went into the game knowing they could not compete against Mummy in the hitouts, but managed to create more scoring chances and only lost due to poor conversion.

I think an Adam Goodes type player would make the best modern day ruckman, although players like AG don't come around that often. But in terms of size and mobility, he would be the prototype. There's less chance of getting injured in the rucking contests if the ruckman avoids making physical contact with the opposition ruckman, especially avoiding the flying knee. Tradition or not, I wouldn't mind seeing that aspect of the game eliminated. Going over the top of the ruck contest was essentially the tactic used with the 3rd man up and I think it can be utilised in the 2 man ruck contest as well.

Goodes - 1.94cm

Hmmm, I wonder if the record standing leap, was a major reason in why we recruited Towers? I might be a touch angry, if I find out that he was once a member of the Australian Ballet.

Veterans List
    Goodes - 1.94cm

And Goodesy did his knee playing in the ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    And Goodesy did his knee playing in the ruck.
    Yeah, but we are talking about Towers...
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Yeah, but we are talking about Towers...
    Poor Dean, always tries his heart out but still much maligned.

Senior Player

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if the record standing leap, was a major reason in why we recruited Towers? I might be a touch angry, if I find out that he was once a member of the Australian Ballet.
    Ha ha! At least they know how to land on their feet!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Ha ha! At least they know how to land on their feet!
    And how to catch things - well catch ballerinas anyway, and I would think that is more difficult than catching a ball!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast