Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Media Conspiracy Theory (in Melbourne)

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    You proved the point that you whine and bitch.

But made no other point.
    Except that he's probably Jim Main!

Quote Originally Posted by Country Member View Post
    You blokes wouldn't have a clue what the Club does or doesn't do regarding supporters in Melbourne or anywhere else for that matter. You just bitch and moan when anything happens you don't agree with. It's all about yourselves.
    Call yourself supporters. Thank God most sane people have not heard of this so-called forum for Swans supporters.
    Jim Main and Martin Blake are absolutely right: under the cover of anonymity you bag everything and everybody (particularly our players) that you don't like: not constructively but personally and with vindictiveness.
    To prove my point, I've done the same thing.
    are you nick davis?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    You proved the point that you whine and bitch.

But made no other point.

Your post = useless and nonconstructive.
    But he/she feels better now.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    You blokes wouldn't have a clue what the Club does or doesn't do regarding supporters in Melbourne or anywhere else for that matter. You just bitch and moan when anything happens you don't agree with. It's all about yourselves.
    Call yourself supporters. Thank God most sane people have not heard of this so-called forum for Swans supporters.
    Jim Main and Martin Blake are absolutely right: under the cover of anonymity you bag everything and everybody (particularly our players) that you don't like: not constructively but personally and with vindictiveness.
    Bit of selective thinking there. It is but a small few who bag the players, here, most are full of blind faith and love.
    You're right that most of us have no clue what the club does, or doesn't do, maybe you could enlighten us with some of the inner workings of the club, instead of bitching and moaning.
    If we weren't supporters, we wouldn't be here.
    Jim Main and Martin Blake had some good points, but right, not entirely.
    "Under cover of anonymity"? says he who goes by the epithet "Country Member" show yourself, at least Main and Blake had the courage to have a go at us using their real name.

And what exactly is your point??
    I'd expect a better case from someone with your education.

Blog Entries
    Swannymummy, you are correct about the media coverage of late and the FTA games.
    Most have complained about the lack of FTA games, since the deal went back to Ch (we won't show games live) 7. It is appalling.
    I hoped it would work out better this year, but it only seemed to get worse. The club obviously doesn't want to encourage us to watch the games, otherwise they'd petition the AFL to get us more FTA games. I wish a board member read this forum. They might be able to do something about it.

As for the media coverage, we had plenty of it during the early stages of the year. Albeit for the wrong reasons, but at least they took notice of us.
    And at the moment, the pies and Big Ed are dominating the Melb media. Not just the sport pages either.

Money, greed and accountants are ruining our world.
    The more the TV companies pay for the rights the less the consumer seems to get.
    Just look at the swimming finals in the Olympics, How boring is it to watch the heats live, when the finals were on whilst we were all at work. Thankyou US TV.

And the AFL have there money, so they don't seem to care about the "bums on seats" anymore.
    Why else do they insist on showing Melbourne games on TV. In the past they would show they interstate games, in the hope that the local games would get more people if it wasn't on TV.
    That theory walked out the door a few years ago.
    Last edited by ScottH; 12th August 2008 at 08:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    It sure is.
    And it has turned me off.
    I have nowhere near the passion for my team when I don't get to see them play.

More troubling than that though is the kids.
    I have 5 little Swans supporters who have minimal interest in footy because they have not been able to develop a passion.
    We to to games when they are down here sometimes, but they just don't get that repeated exposure that they would from watching games regularly on TV.
    You're right there about the kids and the regular TV slot, we used to get every 2nd week, on a Sunday, and the kids got indoctrinated that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    You're right there about the kids and the regular TV slot, we used to get every 2nd week, on a Sunday, and the kids got indoctrinated that way.
    ....and the kids don't mind watching replays - usually they'd have no idea who won as they rarely watch the news
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

No, the vast majority offer opinions on players and don't get personal. It is part of being a supporter.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I also noticed that there was hardly a mention of how drab and low scoring the first two and a half quarters of the hawks game was but when the swans play in a similar game it is the swans fault the game is being played that way and it is boring, lockdown etc etc etc.

The hawks and the lions do it and it is just good hard football (that yes thankfully did break open half way through the third term).

You got it. When Victorian teams do it they say "they are getting behind the ball well". When we do it they say "here comes Sydney boring defensive tactics again"

Unfortunately a lot of people who barrack for teams who haven't won flags get very bitter & jealous that we have managed to win a flag despite our club's history.

Even when adam Goodes kicks 8 goals they still go on with the stereotype of us being a boring lock-down team. It gets frustrating at times.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    You got it. When Victorian teams do it they say "they are getting behind the ball well". When we do it they say "here comes Sydney boring defensive tactics again"

Unfortunately a lot of people who barrack for teams who haven't won flags get very bitter & jealous that we have managed to win a flag despite our club's history.

Even when adam Goodes kicks 8 goals they still go on with the stereotype of us being a boring lock-down team. It gets frustrating at times.

JF
    dont worry, that "boring lock down tactics" will hold us in good stead come finals time.

Regular in the Side
    I remember filling in that market research survey a month or so back. They asked how many games I watch on TV etc and asked me to compare the number it to last year.

Of course, seeing I don't have Foxtel, I said Less...but they didnt ask why, to which the answer would have been, we get alot less FTA

So they will probably just assume a declining lack of interest, and use that to support less need for FTA!!!!!
    Red and white till I die

Veterans List
    Get off the hand trolley sunshine. If supporters can't discuss a players attributes good, bad or indifferent in terms of: this bloke's a star, that bloke's a muppett, he couldn't kick over a jam tin, he couldn't get a kick in a stampede, this blokes a hack, that bloke's a choker, gee I'd take Cousins at a pinch, Didak's a wanker etc, etc ,etc, discussion, discussion, discussion, argument argument, argument, then the vernacular and culture of our great game would have died decades ago.

I have had the great pleasure of standing shoulder to shoulder with opposition supporters of all Melbourne clubs for 2 decades (60's and 70's), and having some of the funniest and most pleasurable afternoons you could imagine and not once provoked a fight. We could be getting absolutely flogged but still see the bright side of it all. After the North game this year in the bar at Telstra Dome fans of both sides were debating the draw in all sorts of terms and it was pure AFL culture.

Country Member - you have no idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast