Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    No he doesn't. If I never see him in the team again, I will be a happy man. Soft, soft, soft.
    I think your being a bit harsh on Towers. Looks better than the great man at the moment. It's a harsh truth, but one we all knew was coming this season........I agree with Jude, he has probably gone one season too long. We all suspected this would be the case when he announced he was playing on, sadly it's coming to fruition.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The important question is... What is the weather going to be??
    Saturday 18 April

Summary
    Min 18
    Max 26
    Showers.
    Sydney area

Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers. Light winds becoming southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h later.

McGlynn has a history of hamstring injuries, so I'd give him another week in the ressies to get up to speed before bringing him in.

I think Mitchell is the one that should be given a crack this week, probably as the sub in place of Goodes. He was the first named in the best player list in the reserves and we know he can play.

We have to face the reality that Goodes is unlikely to improve enough to be truly in our best 22. If we want to honour Goodes, we should name a pavilion after him, but we if we want to challenge for a premiership, then we have to develop our younger players. I don't want to find ourselves in a situation where Mitchell or Jones want to be traded for lack of opportunity when we are 'gifting' games to a player on reputation rather than contribution. We need to separate our respect for Adam, and I have the very highest respect for him, from playing performance. And if there is doubt about who to select, especially early in the season, I would go with youth.

Rohan an Towers are making decent contributions. They haven't played that much football and both are showing improvement from last year. As long a they continue to improve, I'd be keeping them in the side. Both have made multiple contributions to our scoring.

We shouldn't forget the Cunningham played 26 consecutive games before being dropped. He ain't bad, but seems a bit out of form and has to go harder in the contest; he should be challenging for his spot very soon.

So we are going to be confronted with a 'drop Goodes' scenario all season, unless he miraculously recovers his abilities of yesteryear.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 13th April 2015 at 01:22 PM.

Goodes often starts the year slowly, I wouldn't write him off so quickly, although if he is dropped it will be tough to get back into the team if they get on a run of wins.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think your being a bit harsh on Towers. Looks better than the great man at the moment. It's a harsh truth, but one we all knew was coming this season........I agree with Jude, he has probably gone one season too long. We all suspected this would be the case when he announced he was playing on, sadly it's coming to fruition.
    Towers was pushed easily off the contest a few times.
    But when he turned his opponent inside out, they had to show it a number of times.
    Might be a bit soft, but if he is any good he'll learn from that.

Be hard to drop anyone from that team. Poor Harry had to make way for McVeigh.

Does it ever stop raining up there?
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Goodes often starts the year slowly, I wouldn't write him off so quickly, although if he is dropped it will be tough to get back into the team if they get on a run of wins.
    I think we need to look at this differently. Goodes would walk into the starting 22 for at least 14-15 teams in the comp.

The fact that we are talking about him being dropped should be seen as a positive and as a reflection of our depth.

It's a good situation to be in when you have 4 guys (McGlynn, Cunningham, Mitchell, Jones..maybe 5 if you include B.Jack) that you'd be confident could come into the team at any time and do their job.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Agree with the majority that Goodes should be dropped for McGlynn, especially if it's wet.

Our clearances went so well this weekend I can't see Horse tinkering with a winning formula by bringing in Mitchell - although Parker's disposal efficiency has been absolutely woeful, even prior to his head knock. He leads the team in clangers and is only disposing to our advantage less than 6 in 10 opportunities.

Not good enough for someone racking up so many possessions. Should be on notice to improve his skills and decision making.

Would love to see Mitchell, Jones or McGlynn come in for Goodes. I know it's early, but Goodes looks tentative and a little lost. The selection committee was brutal with ROK and LRT in 2014; I don't think it should be any different currently. Everyone else on the park did enough to hold their spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Robtorq View Post
    I have to agree with out for Goodes. He looked lost when he came on the ground. Did not know what to do. The great Jude Bolton keeps saying he has gone one to many.
    Yes I saw Jude make that comment on Sunday morning. He didn't say it straight out, he just said that he hopes he hasn't gone one year too many. Good to see he isn't afraid top speak the truth.

Veteran Site Admin
    No changes for me (injuries permitting). Give McGlynn another week in the magoos to tune up, and get him cherry ripe for the trip to Freo. He's undoubtedly in our best 22 when available, but the NEAFL match report indicated his game time was "managed" at the weekend. Another game at that level, to make sure he can run out the full match, can't do him any harm.

Goodes ,Towers out Mc glyn Mitchell in sub Heeny

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast