Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes Rd 21 v Freo

Veterans List
    On SEN today they were talking about players who played a lot of reserves footy before seniors. Tuck and Doull 60 games. The fact Dawson re signed tells me that they think he is not ready. A big pre season maybe gets him to the physical condition he needs.

Amazing that Tuck played so many reserves games given that he was, until recently, the games record holder at senior level!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Amazing that Tuck played so many reserves games given that he was, until recently, the games record holder at senior level!
    They were different days back then with the three grades, I think Dipper also played a huge number of reserves games for the Hawks too. On the other hand the odd kid got thrown to the wolves, think Tim Watson played senior footy before his 16th birthday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    On SEN today they were talking about players who played a lot of reserves footy before seniors. Tuck and Doull 60 games. The fact Dawson re signed tells me that they think he is not ready. A big pre season maybe gets him to the physical condition he needs.
    Some players are too good to play twos, Mills and Heeney being good examples but on the whole I like the idea of the kids that get drafted, and they are still only kids, doing some time in the twos. It prepares them physically and I also think they are emotionally better equipped when they are a bit older.

Making Dawson wait until next year, and really making him earn it, won't do him any harm at all IMO. He'll be pumped for a big pre-season I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    They were different days back then with the three grades, I think Dipper also played a huge number of reserves games for the Hawks too. On the other hand the odd kid got thrown to the wolves, think Tim Watson played senior footy before his 16th birthday.
    Claude Clough is the youngest ever debutant (for the Saints) 15 years 209 games. His career didn't have the longevity of Tim's, spanning 23 games over 2 seasons.

We once had a kid, Noel Rohleder, who was a relative veteran compared to Tim Watson who had to wait until the final round of the 1950 season to make his senior debut for the Swans at the grand old age of 16 years 251 days.

It was the last game of VFL footy he would ever play

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    ...The fact Dawson re signed tells me that they think he is not ready. A big pre season maybe gets him to the physical condition he needs.
    This.

Loving the 'no changes', notwithstanding going without Joey. I'd rather have him back fully fit anyway. I have enjoyed watching Naismith all season, but am finding myself thinking that the Tippett/Sinclair combination will be the preferred set up going into September. Sinclair's break-out game deep in the forward 50 must give opposing coaches nightmares, especially as KT gets some match fitness and form back and can take more of the ruckwork on. Sinclair seems to be quite handy at ground level, and is putting in some great body work. A big marking FF takes the pressure of Buddy and allows for Reid to roll back to tighten up the closing minutes of quarters. I reckon Tippett is about to come good. Also glad to see Towers get some continuity. He was down last week, but still worked hard and put himself in good places. KJ has been very important these past few weeks, and I'm hoping that McVeigh sticks around for at least another season.
    Sadly won't get to the game tomorrow. First miss in a long time. Cheer cheer.

On the Rookie List
    Had not seen Longmire's Thursday press conference till this morning. The interesting thing for me was that he did not endorse Macca for next year. Looks like they think his time might be up even though he has played very well the last few weeks.
    This could be Dawson's spot for next year.

If Macca doesn't go for another year, then Newman has an awesome boot for coming from defense.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Loving the 'no changes', notwithstanding going without Joey. I'd rather have him back fully fit anyway. I have enjoyed watching Naismith all season, but am finding myself thinking that the Tippett/Sinclair combination will be the preferred set up going into September. Sinclair's break-out game deep in the forward 50 must give opposing coaches nightmares, especially as KT gets some match fitness and form back and can take more of the ruckwork on. Sinclair seems to be quite handy at ground level, and is putting in some great body work. A big marking FF takes the pressure of Buddy and allows for Reid to roll back to tighten up the closing minutes of quarters. I reckon Tippett is about to come good. Also glad to see Towers get some continuity. He was down last week, but still worked hard and put himself in good places. KJ has been very important these past few weeks, and I'm hoping that McVeigh sticks around for at least another season.
    Tippett and Sinclair do not get enough taps. They average about 18 each. Whereas Naismith averages over 30. Naismith also give us first use as his tap work is incredibly good, very accurate. Whereas the other two tend to be less than average in the HO to advantage stakes. I think if Naismith is fit he gets a guernsey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    If Macca doesn't go for another year, then Newman has an awesome boot for coming from defense.

I also think they will upgrade Murray too.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    The Dawsaon scenario is actually quite simple.
    Longmire is saving him as a secret weapon for the grand final.
    It will be his first game, first goal, and first flag.
    ALA Mitch Morton you think? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Had not seen Longmire's Thursday press conference till this morning. The interesting thing for me was that he did not endorse Macca for next year. Looks like they think his time might be up even though he has played very well the last few weeks.
    This could be Dawson's spot for next year.
    I've been told that Macca actually wants to play on but the club only wants to discuss it at the end of the season. This makes a lot of sense. He has the ability to play another year but gets a lot of soft tissue injuries and another year is only going to see that worsen. I personally think that he will retire.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Yeah, I agree re Sinclair/Tippett over Naismith for the reasons you put. Naismith has been looking a bit vulnerable around the ground. Tippett needs to keep building form, though.

This will actually be the first game I can attend since the GWS game early in the year. It's been hard to get up from Canberra this year. Can't wait; Fremantle have been going ok.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast