Regular in the Side
    Is total goals right. Individual adds to 27

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Is total goals right. Individual adds to 27
    Rose has three not four

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    FT swans 26.14 170 Suns 7.4 46 Goals: Richards 8 Rose 4 Nankervis Leonardis 3 Dawson Heeney 2 Derickx Davis Robertson Brown Gowers #neafl

Glorified training run in the end. I think they lost O'Meara Brooksby and Lemmens through injury and were left with 6 listed players. Every time we went forward in that last quarter they just couldn't or wouldnt man up
    Is Isaac ready for a recall?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Yes if he pulls up alright. He was told to come off about 1/3 through the last quarter and wasn't happy about it by the way. He was way too good for everyone in this game except maybe O'Meara. Some of his left foot passing in particular was excellent. But overall just very clean

I would say he played more forward than midfield but pushed up the ground anyway to collect his many possessions. 21 disposals at half time. Third quarter was quieter has they put a tagger on him.

If we wanted to replace Ted in the forward line, who would be the better choice, XR or Dawson?

Who do you think should come in for Jones?

Regular in the Side
    thanks ugg for the goals note

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If we wanted to replace Ted in the forward line, who would be the better choice, XR or Dawson?

Who do you think should come in for Jones?
    I don't think Dawson is quite ready. Especially if we want him to play KP. So for me if it was between those 2, it would be Xavier easily.

That's a tougher question. We could switch Ted back but then we could possibly be too tall down back, otherwise Cunningham spent some time at half back today, he could possibly come in there.

Edit: Derickx report. Yet again he came off injured and didn't finish the game.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    surely that should be called the D-rex files?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Veteran Site Admin
    After half-time, pretty much everything about the Suns dropped off. I had spotted that JOM was no longer out there (as he was the only Sun I was really taking any notice of) but hadn't realised they'd lost a couple of others too. That partly explains it. With less pressure, the Swans got their gears greased and played a very smooth style of footy. (To be fair, they really started getting on top halfway through the second quarter.) They are certainly well-drilled. They mostly keep things simple and play unselfishly, looking to use team mates but not (most of the time) overusing the ball. The top up players generally fit in seamlessly, and there is no evidence that the listed players avoid passing to them (as tended to happen a decade or so back),

Heeney's class stood out like a sore thumb. He didn't go at full pelt at everything, but rather picked him moments to pounce. But when he did, it was with purpose and almost always to the benefit of the team. As Ugg noted, the only thing between him and a senior recall is how he feels, physically.

Heeney aside, the outstanding player for me was big Nankervis. He rucked well, cleared his own ball at times, marked strongly and kicked straight for goal.

Most of the rest of the senior wannabees had their moments but drifted in and out a bit. Dawson was good early, while the heat was still on, quieter in the middle part of the game, then strong towards the end when the whole team was rampant. I barely spotted Leonardis in the first quarter but he certainly warmed up as the game progressed. He showed a fair bit of skill up forward in the second half, in particular.

Rose looked a bit out of sorts in the first half, I thought, He was involved in a lot of the play but looked a little slow, wasn't judging marks very well, and his pressure was ordinary. He certainly picked things up in the second half, and was running on top of the ground by the end of the game.

Jack, Foote and Cunningham were workmanlike, rather than brilliant. They got the job done but didn't scream out "pick me, pick me" to Longmire. Jack used his pace to clear the ball from the centre very nicely on a couple of occasions but his kicking was at its normal standard.

Newman was busy across half-back but his kicking was a mixed bag.

COR was quietish, I thought, but still showed some excellent signs. His best moment for me was a pack mark, where he started someway off the contest but read the ball brilliantly and timed his run and jump perfectly. It wasn't a spectacular mark by any stretch but did show his increasing confidence and timing.

X is possibly a little flattered by his eight goals - at least two were from the goal line after the ball spilled over the top of a pack. His intensity was a little variable, especially in the first half, and he missed one early easy shot at goal. Still, he can run and he can mark, and most of the time he can kick the ball well. Much as I love Ted, we're not going to win a premiership with him playing at full forward. We can hope that one or both of Tippett or Reid comes good by the time the finals start (with the latter looking more unlikely by the week) but it would be good to see the coaches experiment with other options, especially with a couple of softer games coming up. I suspect X doesn't have the intensity for senior footy but I wouldn't be disappointed if the coaches took the opportunity to give him a go to find out for sure.

It was pleasing to see several of the recent "graduates" from the NEAFL side in attendance to support their erstwhile team mates. I spotted Aliir and Naismith - there may have been others. As per usual, the injured players were all there, including Davis, Melican and, of course, AJ who was in the coaching box and showed no sign of a limp. Marsh and Robinson were running for the side.
    Last edited by liz; 16th July 2016 at 06:36 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Two other observations, especially for Ludwig. You'd have been proud of Tom D today. He managed to ram one shot into the goal post from about a metre out from goal. Admittedly it was off a not-so-helpful pass that put him off balance, but it was still one hell of a miss.

And at the other end of the spectrum, Galloway is starting to look like a footballer. He's still got a long way to go, but he is definitely on the improve. He spent more time in the ruck than Derrickx (ie some - with Nankervis taking most of it). He took a couple of decent overhead grabs and generally looked quite composed. I'm not ready to call him as the next Dean Cox quite yet, but you never know...

What did you think of Murray liz?

Veteran Site Admin
    He was OK but nothing special. He's got some pace and likes to tuck the ball under his arm and run in a way that won't translate to senior football at all. His kicking was OK. He also looked absolutely exhausted every time he came off the ground.

What were your thoughts? Do you think he's in with a shot at a second year on the list?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast