Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: New Competition Structure for 2018

Regular in the Side
    So if I have it straight, clubs with 4 or 5 opens mens teams will play their firsts and reserves in the premier division comp and the remaining teams in a 3rd tier comp. Are there 2 grades in this comp ie 5th and 6th grade?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    So if I have it straight, clubs with 4 or 5 opens mens teams will play their firsts and reserves in the premier division comp and the remaining teams in a 3rd tier comp. Are there 2 grades in this comp ie 5th and 6th grade?
    Correct

The Prem and Plat comps and then Division 1, 2 and 3.

Under 19's two divisions and Women's expanding to 3 divisions

Regular in the Side
    IMO they should make the 3rd tier comp a Sunday or Friday night comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    IMO they should make the 3rd tier comp a Sunday or Friday night comp.
    Why?

The new div 1 won't be a kick and giggle comp. There will be some decent teams in it with Penno 3's, Sydney Uni 3's, NS 3's etc that would be competitive against a number of the sides in the new Platinum 1's comp.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds over the next couple of years. Won't be surprised if the new div 1 ends up being the 3rd best senior men's standard behind the 2 prem grades.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    Why?
    The new div 1 won't be a kick and giggle comp. There will be some decent teams in it with Penno 3's, Sydney Uni 3's, NS 3's etc that would be competitive against a number of the sides in the new Platinum 1's comp.
    It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds over the next couple of years. Won't be surprised if the new div 1 ends up being the 3rd best senior men's standard behind the 2 prem grades.
    Bomber- agree with your prediction about the future of the new Div 1 Comp. My limited understanding was that one of the key reasons for the development of the "Platnimum league" was to allow clubs such as Parramatta and Southern Power to be a more attractive destination to grow as clubs and one day push for promotion to the Premier comp. Potentially the reverse will happen due to loop sided results, and the lack of being pushed by the stonger Premier division teams this comp will become "ugly cousin" competition. Both new recruits and graduating under 19s we will be attracted to the pathway of the Premier Division strucutre naturally making Divison 1, 2, 3 and on stronger.

Regular in the Side
    Why?

I�m not suggesting it�s anything like a giggle comp. It�s just logistics. Some players work every second Saturday and so decide not to play at all because most games are Saturday. A comp that is Sunday every week will attract these players. The BDAFL played a Friday night game this year that was a roaring success. Lots of supporters who have kids playing sport on Saturday�s turned up to watch. I�d be surprised if they don�t pencil in many more for next year. Gotta think outside the box. Brisbane used to play a comp on Fridays years ago.

Prems - same as years gone by with Camden a strategic inclusion based on geography - personally I think it is madness. Seniors and ressies.

All that hard work over the years by JL and his predecessors.

At least Manly and UTS, and Sydney Uni before them, were winning everything in the old SFA or Div 1. And, all were/are attractive places to recruit to.

Will be similar to Wollongong - won in 2004, nothing since. Good luck to them though, this comment shouldn't be taken as demeaning towards Camden - I wish my old club was half as well run.

Platinum - sounds like a strip club - clubs as mentioned, Parra, Mac Uni, Cronulla, Balmain, Greater Western Jesus from Div 1 and Penrith, South West Sydney from Div 2. Seniors and Ressies.

Leaving Div 1 and below as this - Randwick and Wollondilly from Div 2 (Senior teams) Nor-West and Campbelltown from Div 3 (Seniors) against Sydney Uni 3rds, UTS 3rds,, Penno 3rds, UNSW 3rds, St George 3rds, North Shore 3rds. Still bloody strong. We've been flogged silly by those 3rd grade sides over the years (mainly in finals against a different team), with a sprinkling of wins here and there. No easy wins to be seen.

Wests 3rds as well, they finished 4th in Div 2 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Wests 3rds as well, they finished 4th in Div 2 this season.
    Think that might have been Wests 2nds, so they'd be in the new Prem reserves comp. Take your point though, the new div 1 comp will be a solid competition.

It'll be interesting to see how Manly go in Prem reserves. It's a big jump from 8th in div 2 to playing the ressies from St George, Sydney Uni, Penno etc.

I think it'll be hard enough for our 2's make that jump, so could be a long year for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Prems - same as years gone by with Camden a strategic inclusion based on geography - personally I think it is madness. Seniors and ressies.

All that hard work over the years by JL and his predecessors.

At least Manly and UTS, and Sydney Uni before them, were winning everything in the old SFA or Div 1. And, all were/are attractive places to recruit to.

Will be similar to Wollongong - won in 2004, nothing since. Good luck to them though, this comment shouldn't be taken as demeaning towards Camden - I wish my old club was half as well run.

Platinum - sounds like a strip club - clubs as mentioned, Parra, Mac Uni, Cronulla, Balmain, Greater Western Jesus from Div 1 and Penrith, South West Sydney from Div 2. Seniors and Ressies.

Leaving Div 1 and below as this - Randwick and Wollondilly from Div 2 (Senior teams) Nor-West and Campbelltown from Div 3 (Seniors) against Sydney Uni 3rds, UTS 3rds,, Penno 3rds, UNSW 3rds, St George 3rds, North Shore 3rds. Still bloody strong. We've been flogged silly by those 3rd grade sides over the years (mainly in finals against a different team), with a sprinkling of wins here and there. No easy wins to be seen.
    Totally agree Pekay re: Camden and 'Gong comparisons. Here's hoping they do better and build a sustainable footy club at the higher level asap, be great to have a club out there succeed and makes great sense for "code strategy" etc. Its a tough ask though, losing for years on end. No matter how good the juniors or recruitment, you need 35+ players at the level year in year out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Totally agree Pekay re: Camden and 'Gong comparisons. Here's hoping they do better and build a sustainable footy club at the higher level asap, be great to have a club out there succeed and makes great sense for "code strategy" etc. Its a tough ask though, losing for years on end. No matter how good the juniors or recruitment, you need 35+ players at the level year in year out.
    I get the comparison, but I think this case is a bit different. I'm hearing they've got a fair bit of cash to fast track things with recruitment and you'd reckon GWS might send some good kids their way.
    They seem like a pretty well organised club too.
    Strategically we need a club there, so hope they make it.
    Also hope they stop offering kids (ie 19 year olds) from our club $600 a game. That kind of stuff will end up with other clubs returning serve.
    There's plenty to work on out there so they should be a long term success.

I get the comparison, but I think this case is a bit different. I'm hearing they've got a fair bit of cash to fast track things with recruitment and you'd reckon GWS might send some good kids their way.
    They seem like a pretty well organised club too.
    Strategically we need a club there, so hope they make it.
    Also hope they stop offering kids (ie 19 year olds) from our club $600 a game. That kind of stuff will end up with other clubs returning serve.
    There's plenty to work on out there so they should be a long term success.
    Campbelltown were flush with cash too, once upon a time.