Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

Interestingly Maddy Collier attended the event as our 'captain'. No captain has been formally appointed yet, only a 6 woman leadership group of whom Collier is one.

I'll be slightly surprised if she is named sole captain - so I'm bracing myself for mild surprise.

Senior Player

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Does anyone know if there is a Father/Daughter rule and does it work the other way with a Mother/Son rule?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a Father/Daughter rule and does it work the other way with a Mother/Son rule?
    There is a Father/Daughter rule. A player only needs to have played a single game for the men's team for the daughter to be eligible.

I don't suppose there are any eligible sons (or daughters) of AFLW players yet. I guess there will be such a rule but I don't know if they've yet set any thresholds.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Yes there is a father/daughter rule, but a father has had to play only one match for a club to have priority draft access to a daughter.

When AFLW commenced in 2017 the AFL said it would investigate a mother/son rule (see attached article). As far as I am aware no decision has yet been announced.

I guess it is likely to be at least another 10 years before any eligible sons are of draft age, so there is plenty of time to work out the appropriate number of matches for qualification.

https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a...70ebf3ac87836a

Thanks liz & Meg, much appreciated

There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

There have already been quite a few father/daughter priority draft selections. This is probably not comprehensive but I’ve listed some below. Most fathers had long AFL careers but two of those I’ve shown were only very short.

. Abbie McKay (Carlton) daughter of Andrew, 244 games from 1993 to 2003, was the first;

. Isabella Grant (Bulldogs) daughter of Chris Grant, 341 games between 1990 and 2007);

. Millie Brown (Geelong) daughter of Paul Brown, 84 games from 1990 to 1998;

. Tarni Brown (Collingwood) daughter of Gavin Brown, 254 games between 1987 and 2000;

. Alice Burke (St Kilda) daughter of Nathan Burke, 323 games between 1987 and 2003;

. Georgia Campbell (who chose Melbourne) daughter of Adrian Campbell who played 30 games for the Western Bulldogs between 1988 and 1992, and two matches for Melbourne in 1993;

. Amy Smith (North Melbourne) daughter of Shaun Smith, 47 games between 1987 and 1992;

. Caitlin Matthews (St Kilda) daughter of Dean Matthews, one senior game for the Saints in 1995.

Alice Burke/Nathan Burke has the added quirk that Alice is playing for St Kilda where Nathan had an illustrious career. But Nathan is now the coach of the Bulldogs AfLW team. Must make for interesting dinner table conversations!

Also of interest this year Erin Phillips, daughter of Port legend Greg Phillips, will play and captain Port in their inaugural AFLW season after transferring across from the Crows. This is not a father/daughter selection as Erin already has an elite AFLW career. But it is a very emotional selection for Port supporters (and for Greg from the photos I saw of Greg in tears) who see this as Erin ‘coming home’.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    There have already been quite a few father/daughter priority draft selections. This is probably not comprehensive but I’ve listed some below. Most fathers had long AFL careers but two of those I’ve shown were only very short.

. Abbie McKay (Carlton) daughter of Andrew, 244 games from 1993 to 2003, was the first;

. Isabella Grant (Bulldogs) daughter of Chris Grant, 341 games between 1990 and 2007);

. Millie Brown (Geelong) daughter of Paul Brown, 84 games from 1990 to 1998;

. Tarni Brown (Collingwood) daughter of Gavin Brown, 254 games between 1987 and 2000;

. Alice Burke (St Kilda) daughter of Nathan Burke, 323 games between 1987 and 2003;

. Georgia Campbell (who chose Melbourne) daughter of Adrian Campbell who played 30 games for the Western Bulldogs between 1988 and 1992, and two matches for Melbourne in 1993;

. Amy Smith (North Melbourne) daughter of Shaun Smith, 47 games between 1987 and 1992;

. Caitlin Matthews (St Kilda) daughter of Dean Matthews, one senior game for the Saints in 1995.

Alice Burke/Nathan Burke has the added quirk that Alice is playing for St Kilda where Nathan had an illustrious career. But Nathan is now the coach of the Bulldogs AfLW team. Must make for interesting dinner table conversations!

Also of interest this year Erin Phillips, daughter of Port legend Greg Phillips, will play and captain Port in their inaugural AFLW season after transferring across from the Crows. This is not a father/daughter selection as Erin already has an elite AFLW career. But it is a very emotional selection for Port supporters (and for Greg from the photos I saw of Greg in tears) who see this as Erin ‘coming home’.
    Wow, very interesting! It must've been bittersweet for Greg to see Erin playing for the Crows, makes it even sweeter now that she's able to play for the Power.

Love your work Meg

Re Erin & Greg Phillips, watch the tears flow in the embedded video in the article linked below!

‘(Erin) Phillips was the first player signed to the Power’s AFLW team, and is widely regarded as the best player in the competition.

The 36-year-old won three premierships with the Crows, along with three All Australian honours. Phillips was also named best on ground in two of those three grand final victories.

“As a kid growing up, all I wanted was to be like Dad and play football for the Port Adelaide Football Club,” she said when she signed in April.’

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...c0c2cad07d2093

Our Swans team play Port (both clubs in their first AFLW season) in Round 4 at the atmospheric suburban oval at Alberton. Would be a good game to attend for SA Swans supporters.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314