Page 36 of 452 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Mummy's career is amazing. Why did we ever let him go. His longevity is simply amazing.
    Even after leaving us 7 years ago, he's still better than any ruckman on our list.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    No point taking a pick 5 then sitting them on the sidelines.....
    I get why the Swans apparently set all the new recruits down and give them all the "everyone starts from the same point, you're all equal" speech - seems such an attitude would explain explain how well the Swans have done with later picks and rookies.

But I wander whether the hot-house flowers at the top end of the draft, so used to being feted, respond to such an attitude - especially if it involves a season or two awaiting debut.

Maybe not so well, historically we've been somewhat less successful with picks from that end.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 6th July 2020 at 06:31 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I get why the Swans apparently set all the new recruits down and give them all the "everyone starts from the same point, you're all equal" speech - seems such an attitude would explain explain how well the Swans have done with later picks and rookies.

But I wander whether the hot-house flowers at the top end of the draft, so used to being feted, respond to such an attitude - especially if it involves a season or two awaiting debut.

Maybe not so well, historically we've been somewhat less successful with picks from that end.

Thoughts?
    Culturally sound practice I reckon. Don't reckon it has cost us a good player but happy for you to contradict me if you have examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Culturally sound practice I reckon. Don't reckon it has cost us a good player but happy for you to contradict me if you have examples.
    Mitchell had to spend a long time in the 2's before cracking the seniors. Then left.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Mitchell had to spend a long time in the 2's before cracking the seniors. Then left.
    You have to paint the full picture. Hawthorn offered him significantly more than we could. Then he left.

Also Mitchell was not a first round draft pick

Mummy's career is amazing. Why did we ever let him go. His longevity is simply amazing.
    Even after leaving us 7 years ago, he's still better than any ruckman on our list.
    Full picture. Why did we let him go? We needed cap space to get a guy called Buddy. We had a guy in Mike Pyke. He was quite handy at the time this all transpired. If the list management team had the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, a different decision might have been made. But it didn’t. Time to move on ... 7 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Although he might have been if we didn’t get him father/son

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Not a damaging player. Most clubs don’t even tag him.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Not a damaging player. Most clubs don’t even tag him.
    Kicks a lot of up and unders..Ball magnet and good player but 20 possies for Dusty equals about 50 for Tommy. Left because we couldn't afford him but we paid him big bucks as a very young player. His old man was a bit of a mercenary as well.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Time to move on ... 7 years ago.
    This isn't really the place for discussing Mummy (there is a past players thread) but I don't think there is any statute of limitations on learning from the past.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 7th July 2020 at 05:28 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Looking at our ruck problems - there was a time, not so long ago, when we had Naismith, Nankervis, Tippett all competing for a ruck spot or two. We decided to trade Nankervis to Richmond where they promised him that he would be given more opportunity. Nankervis has proven to be durable and continued to improve. He is now a two-time premiership player. The demise of Tippett is well chronicled on here. The upshot is we made an unfortunate choice with Nankervis. We have brought in Sinclair in recent years who has given his all and in recent seasons has been our sole ruckman most of the time. I give him top marks for his effort and courage. Sadly, he is nowhere near the top ruckmen in the league. He provides a contest though. We traded Cameron at the end of last season. It will be interesting to watch whether he can cement a senior spot in the strong Collingwood line-up that features the game's best big man. Knoll also has been recruited in the past 2 seasons but seems to be mostly injured.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Looking at our ruck problems - there was a time, not so long ago, when we had Naismith, Nankervis, Tippett all competing for a ruck spot or two. We decided to trade Nankervis to Richmond where they promised him that he would be given more opportunity. Nankervis has proven to be durable and continued to improve. He is now a two-time premiership player. The demise of Tippett is well chronicled on here. The upshot is we made an unfortunate choice with Nankervis. We have brought in Sinclair in recent years who has given his all and in recent seasons has been our sole ruckman most of the time. I give him top marks for his effort and courage. Sadly, he is nowhere near the top ruckmen in the league. He provides a contest though. We traded Cameron at the end of last season. It will be interesting to watch whether he can cement a senior spot in the strong Collingwood line-up that features the game's best big man. Knoll also has been recruited in the past 2 seasons but seems to be mostly injured.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Based on that starting list of ruckman, we really had no way to keep Nankervis. He's always be behind Naismith and Tippett, and Nankervis is only good as a ruckman. He cant play anywhere else.
    The only way we could have kept him would be to trade out Naismith and Tippett to someone else.

Even though Sinclair has been our no.1 ruckman for a couple of years, we will never be a contender while he is in the side. Many teams have a tailsman where you say "if xxx is getting a game, they cant win a flag". Sinclair is out xxx.

Cameron wont amount to much I think.

Its a real pity Knoll has been injured so much. I had high hopes for him.