PDA

View Full Version : Priority picks: how it affects us

Sanecow
3rd August 2005, 12:40 PM
Source (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=219895)
AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson told afl.com.au that only teams with 20 premiership points or less at the end of a season are eligible for an extra draft pick.

Hawthorn currently have 16 points.

A win before round 22 means that if they beat us in round 22, all they will achieve is a loss of a priority pick.

No further wins prior to round 22 means that they can throw the kitchen sink at us in an attempt to affect the finals and win some respect in the last game of the year.

So, go Hawks!

Sanecow
3rd August 2005, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah, except if they win two games prior to round 22 we are equally screwed.

ugg
3rd August 2005, 12:44 PM
We'll probably trade our first round pick anyway.

Sanecow
3rd August 2005, 12:47 PM
Which is strange because guys at the end of their career should be pretty cheap.

ugg
3rd August 2005, 12:50 PM
Just had a look at their remaining games.

v Lions at Gabba (Loss)
v Bombers at MCG (Slight chance but should lose)
v Tigers at Dome (This is the big chance)

giant
3rd August 2005, 04:37 PM
There is the added (tho possibly overblown) complication that they will wish to avoid the wooden spoon. Carlton are only 1/2 a game behind & with a silly chance of beating either Essendon +/or Pies.

So if they're dinkum about not wanting to win the spoon (& personally I think the ignominy is damn easier to swallow when you get picks 1 & 3 in the draft not to mention the highly strategic #1 in the PSD), then they'll be keen for a win at some stage.

giant
3rd August 2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Which is strange because guys at the end of their career should be pretty cheap.

You have someone in mind? #1 pick for Woewoeful or Pickett perchance?

Deledio Fan
8th August 2005, 04:09 PM
It really has no effect, as I spose the Swans will just go through their annual ritual of redrafting duds like Heath James anyway...

Sanecow
15th August 2005, 01:09 PM
Back on topic: would like to see Richmond beat the Hawks this weekend to give the Hawks no reason to win in round 22. Looks good!

ugg
21st August 2005, 07:40 PM
Hawthorn gave me a scare today but its a good thing they followed the script and let the Tigers win.

Sanecow
21st August 2005, 08:53 PM
A great comeback from the Tigers. It was a fun game to watch with a small amount of care factor. A good result for us!

cruiser
21st August 2005, 09:19 PM
I think that this whole business about priority picks, which rewards teams for not trying, is a farce and an insult to the teams that try. I am disgusted with Hawthorn and Collingwod and they bring shame to their clubs supporters by not trying to win anymore games. SHAME!

Sheedy think so too:
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=223862