PDA

View Full Version : To bury or not to bury the opposition

ROK Lobster
28th August 2005, 11:26 AM
Just a few thoughts regarding our inability/reluctance to bury opposition sides. While we did a job on Brisbane a few weeks ago it was nothing like what St K did at the Gabba last night. Similarly we did not crush Hawthorn yesterday but were content to win comfortably, and as has been pointed out in the 'Positives' thread, experiment a little and give some of the young fellas more responsibility.

Listening to the St K game last night I started to think that they are trying a little too hard to convince the football world that they are the real deal. I think it goes beyond that. I think they are also trying to prove to themselves that they are the real deal. IMO the Saints have self belief problems and need constant reassurance that they can do it.

Whenever I see a side completely over-run another, or the fans cry out that their side should have belted the opposition by a lot more I am reminded of a famous quote by Jack Brabham. When asked to explain his racing philosophy Sir Jack explained that it was to "win in the slowest possible time". Jack for the most part built his own carts and cars and had the utmost respect for the machinary that hurtled him around the track. Winning in the slowest possible time was not about nursing his machinary to the finish but was about affording it the respect it deserved. Just as there is no use flogging a dead horse there is no use flogging a horse to death when it is 4 lengths in front with 100 to run.

I think there is a little bit of that philosophy in Roos. Bodies are tired by season's end and I doubt there are many of yesterdays 22 jumping out of bed this morning feeling 110%. Unless you are in a situation where % is becoming important, it is worth remembering that the winning side gets the 4 points (or to play again the following week) regardless of the margin. Here's hoping we cruise over the line 3 more times this season with the opposition in the rear view mirror.

liz
28th August 2005, 11:37 AM
There's no doubt that our Swans lack the ruthless streak that the Saints have. The Lions outfit that the Saints played was even more depleted and demoralised than the one that fronted up to us last week - but we still wouldn't have buried that team as completely as the Saints did (and certainly not if we'd been missing Hall, Leo, LRT and B2 - analgous to the players the Saints were without last night).

But I'm with you ROK - who cares?

I am not convinced that either Sydney or the Saints are well served by having nothing more than glorified training runs in their final H&A game. If we mess around with the ball against the Weagles as we did at times against the Hawks, we will be severly punished on the scoreboard. That said, I suspect this version of the Swans knows that full well and should be able to put their brains in the appropriate gear from the start next Friday night.

Go Swannies
28th August 2005, 11:44 AM
I was going to scream "plagiarism" ROK but you extended the discussion well. Incidentally, Brabham (and, much later, Mick Doohan) were exceptional in their ability to drive/ride each lap exactly the same, lap after lap. So the team could change things and they'd instantly know if it was a change for better or worse. Both Jack and Mick were regarded as geniuses (or rare freaks) for that ability. I think Roos brings some of that "team as machine" thinking to the Swans - and has built it well.

It's good because many of us could not be prouder of "our" team. And it also makes it frustrating watching other teams. Even the Crows-Eagles game I kept thinking "he wouldn't get away with being that unaccountable if he was playing for the Swans". And that applies to Roo, too - great player but that reckless hit was inexcusable. I'd be shocked if Baz or Goodes did it - especially at this stage of the season.

Go Swannies
28th August 2005, 11:47 AM
Liz - you were writing while I was. Reckon you're right. The last couple of game plans were very different from the way the Swans played the Eagles at the SCG. And the way we can expect them to play on Friday.

Someone at BigFooty recently described the Swans as one dimensional. That's ridiculously far from the truth. So the coaching and teamwork is great - now we just have to see if we have the grit and skill to go all the way.

SXP
28th August 2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
While we did a job on Brisbane a few weeks ago it was nothing like what St K did at the Gabba last night.

Game was at Telstra Dome in Melbourne. I know I was there. Besides the umps helped the Saints as well. Just look at the tally for free kicks. Amazing how they favoured St Kilda after what happened in Perth previous week. I wonder ifthey'll favour them also next week in Adelaide.

ROK Lobster
28th August 2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by SXP
Game was at Telstra Dome in Melbourne. I know I was there. Besides the umps helped the Saints as well. Just look at the tally for free kicks. Amazing how they favoured St Kilda after what happened in Perth previous week. I wonder ifthey'll favour them also next week in Adelaide.
LOL, I thought it was at the Gabba. Listening on the radio I was thinking to myself that St K had an awful lot of support... :o

Dave
28th August 2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by SXP
Game was at Telstra Dome in Melbourne.

I was shocked at the score until I found out it was at the Dome.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

NMWBloods
28th August 2005, 04:24 PM
I don't think it meant a lot. Brisbane are tired and sore at the end of the season. Although they had a spot in the finals to play for, they weren't going anywhere with so many missing players, so they simply gave up. They'll come back next year and be a threat.

Wil
29th August 2005, 09:54 AM
Just a few thoughts regarding our inability/reluctance to bury opposition sides. While we did a job on Brisbane a few weeks ago it was nothing like what St K did at the Gabba last night. Similarly we did not crush Hawthorn yesterday but were content to win comfortably, and as has been pointed out in the 'Positives' thread, experiment a little and give some of the young fellas more responsibility.

Listening to the St K game last night I started to think that they are trying a little too hard to convince the football world that they are the real deal. I think it goes beyond that. I think they are also trying to prove to themselves that they are the real deal. IMO the Saints have self belief problems and need constant reassurance that they can do it.

Whenever I see a side completely over-run another, or the fans cry out that their side should have belted the opposition by a lot more I am reminded of a famous quote by Jack Brabham. When asked to explain his racing philosophy Sir Jack explained that it was to "win in the slowest possible time". Jack for the most part built his own carts and cars and had the utmost respect for the machinary that hurtled him around the track. Winning in the slowest possible time was not about nursing his machinary to the finish but was about affording it the respect it deserved. Just as there is no use flogging a dead horse there is no use flogging a horse to death when it is 4 lengths in front with 100 to run.

I think there is a little bit of that philosophy in Roos. Bodies are tired by season's end and I doubt there are many of yesterdays 22 jumping out of bed this morning feeling 110%. Unless you are in a situation where % is becoming important, it is worth remembering that the winning side gets the 4 points (or to play again the following week) regardless of the margin. Here's hoping we cruise over the line 3 more times this season with the opposition in the rear view mirror.

Welcome to the world of sport.

giant
29th August 2005, 11:08 AM

The same thought went thru my mind - just winning was never gonna be good enuff for the Saints, they had to crush them.

But to what end? To me, it just accentutates the Saints' status as front-runners & provides ammunition for the Lions for 2006.

Very happy with the Swans' effort on Saturday just as long as the ruthless Swans turn up to play next Friday.

TheHood
29th August 2005, 12:18 PM
Credo for finals footy:

"Winning is everything and percentage doesn't exist."

Saints did a big job on the most depleted Brisbane team in 7 years. The result didn't blow the footy community away.

I think Adelaide would have done the job on them prior to Roo's pending suspension too but this makes it interesting for the Crows.

We don't have to bury WCE on Friday, just take ALL the chances we create. Our biggest threat is our own wastefulness when entering F50. Keep the supply to Baz and co clean and we will win IMO.