PDA

View Full Version : Why the SCG doesn't cut it come finals time

Dave
30th August 2005, 09:32 AM
from realfooty:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/08/29/1125302508216.html

This quote from it:

A decision to travel early has been partly forced on the Swans by the lack of large AFL grounds in Sydney. "There was a ground at Campbelltown we might have considered in the past but apparently that's not in great shape at the moment," said Roos.

Say no more.

Provost
30th August 2005, 10:12 AM
I don't see how the SCG doesn't cut it come finals time. :confused: The SCG clearly dosen't cut it when it comes to preperation for games at Subiaco. We do need to locate a ground with large size that can still accomodate a closed training session.

NMWBloods
30th August 2005, 10:19 AM
Doesn't help when practising for the MCG either!

stellation
30th August 2005, 10:23 AM
You can buy sausage rolls at Homebush.

Provost
30th August 2005, 10:26 AM
:rolleyes:
Off you go...............:p
Sausauge Roll Sighted At Scg (http://redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10488)

Dave
30th August 2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Provost
I don't see how the SCG doesn't cut it come finals time. :confused:

Because the ultimate final (and any away finals for that matter) is played on a ground that dwarfs the SCG.

It just aint big enough to be a proper AFL ground.

Go Swannies
30th August 2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Dave
Because the ultimate final (and any away finals for that matter) is played on a ground that dwarfs the SCG.

It just aint big enough to be a proper AFL ground.

They shouldn't be allowed to play AFL at Subiaco either. It's so much narrower than any other AFL ground it's a joke. More like a nature strip than an AFL oval. (And, considering how hard it is, maybe more like a runway than a nature strip.)

Schneiderman
30th August 2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
They shouldn't be allowed to play AFL at Subiaco either. It's so much narrower than any other AFL ground it's a joke. More like a nature strip than an AFL oval. (And, considering how hard it is, maybe more like a runway than a nature strip.)

Or Kardinia Park, which is even skinnier than TS.

Heck they should just play all the games at the G. That way we have no confusion or bias.

Wil
30th August 2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman

Heck they should just play all the games at the G. That way we have no confusion or bias.

Don't be stupid.

All games are already played at only MCG AND the Telstra Dome.

Egan
30th August 2005, 01:25 PM
Western Australian Ovals are bigger then that seen in the eastern states.

Its just history having the bigger ovals...thus over here we don't make any complaints about the size of the ground.

Only when I went to melbourne did i see how big Subiaco was...well actually I remember going to AFL games at the WACA.

How I suppose Sydney wish that we still played games at the WACA...

Schneiderman
30th August 2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Wil
Don't be stupid.

All games are already played at only MCG AND the Telstra Dome.

So I went to the SCG eight times this year and imagined a game on?

Its just as stupid to claim the SCG somehow "doesn't cut it" for any reason. All of asudden size matters.

Go Swannies
30th August 2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
All of a sudden size matters.

Do you try the same rationale in your private life, too?

sharp9
30th August 2005, 03:43 PM
Call me a central control freak but if I were Angry Anderson I would be agitating for a much more even spread of ground size...ie bring in the goals at Subiaco and bring in the wings at the MCG, and push for a new cricket stand at one end of the SCG....about 10 metres back!

It really is silly IMHO to have such huge discrepancies in ground size. Adds nothing but irritation to the competition..and at least he couldn't be accused of interstate bias if he tried to regulate ground size somewhat.

BTW can't believe that the new stadium in Geelong wasn't built back a bit. Skilled is 20 metres narrower than the G and the SCG.

desredandwhite
30th August 2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by sharp9

BTW can't believe that the new stadium in Geelong wasn't built back a bit. Skilled is 20 metres narrower than the G and the SCG.

That's because the new stand at Kardinia Park is LITERALLY right up against the road! You can't walk around the back of the stand (which was a major point of irritation when I was there for the Geelong/Freo game)

j s
30th August 2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
That's because the new stand at Kardinia Park is LITERALLY right up against the road! You can't walk around the back of the stand (which was a major point of irritation when I was there for the Geelong/Freo game)
So is the Gabba but they found a solution there. They could have just pinched a bit of the road - it doesn't need a parking lane.

Schneiderman
30th August 2005, 05:44 PM
It really is silly IMHO to have such huge discrepancies in ground size.

Its hard to make ovals exactly the same dimension. And your talking about a huge investment in money at pretty much every ground so that 8-12 games of AFL per year become "fairer".

Aint gonna happen.

tantrum
30th August 2005, 06:45 PM

It really is silly IMHO to have such huge discrepancies in ground size. Adds nothing but irritation to the competition..

I like it.

It's something *different* about Aussie Rules - it gives coaches something to think about. It can produce different styles of play.

lescygnes
30th August 2005, 07:14 PM
someone said back yonder.....about wishing the wiggles still played at the WACA.

noooooooooooooooooooo!

the WACA was way wider than subiaco but the same length, being 188 metres. the biggest field of play in the league by a mile.

as for the SCG, ive made it very clear in the past that i cant stand the joint. run by a pack of cricket and rugby leage loving effwits. i would rather a vision of 70 odd thousand season ticket holders out west. but thats a pipe dream i know that.

maybe a "you know what" may fix that? i cant say the "P" word in this time of the year.

cheers from brissy
john

Go Swannies
30th August 2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by lescygnes
maybe a "you know what" may fix that? i cant say the "P" word in this time of the year.

cheers from brissy
john

Refer to it as a Number One then or it'll be painful, soon. Thought I suspect Number Twos may be more relevant by Friday afternoon. . .

lescygnes
30th August 2005, 08:05 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!

that was magnificent!

Vivien
30th August 2005, 08:16 PM
But I love that the SCG is so small. It gives it character. Likewise, adjusting your game to suit a bigger ground (or smaller ground for that matter) is part and parcel of our game and an intergral part of the home ground advantage. Let's not forget that there are a lot of teams who struggle at the SCG, largely because of it's size. It's a massive advantage IMO, not a hinderance.

Dave
30th August 2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Vivien
It's a massive advantage IMO, not a hinderance.

Not when you have to play away games and the GF on bigger grounds, which is the point of this post.

The fact that the 50m arc hits the centre square is a joke BTW.

Refried Noodle
31st August 2005, 06:54 PM
Just heard on Channel 10:

If Sydney lose this week then next weeks game might be moved to the SCG cos of a clash with the League finals at StadAust.

Dunno whether this is a good or a bad thing....

Dave
31st August 2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Refried Noodle

If Sydney lose this week then next weeks game might be moved to the SCG cos of a clash with the League finals at StadAust.

Not good cash wise you would think - a lot less seats.

Not good also to be going back to the small ground so close to the GF IMO.

barry
1st September 2005, 12:16 AM

Hang on, we have preference at Telstra ? We would certainly draw the bigger crowd.

ScottH
1st September 2005, 07:37 AM

Dunno whether this is a good or a bad thing.... Here is an article relating to this.

Link (http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/codes-battle-over-home-finals/2005/08/31/1125302628048.html)