PDA

View Full Version : Home final may be held at the SCG

Provost
31st August 2005, 06:57 PM
Just saw on channel TEN news that if the Swans should loose to West Coast on Friday the home final in Sydney for the following week may be moved from Telstra to the SCG to prevent a clash with the Rugby.

Fingers crossed we wont be playing that week but an SCG final wouldn't be that bad for us.

Refried Noodle
31st August 2005, 07:00 PM
Oi! -->you too eh? (http://redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10555&perpage=20&pagenumber=2)

Provost
31st August 2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Refried Noodle
Oi! -->you too eh? (http://redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10555&perpage=20&pagenumber=2) :p You beat me by four minutes.:D
Besides this news derserves a thread of its own

punter257
31st August 2005, 07:09 PM
might be a good thing for a team point of view (even though we have a great record at TS) but disappointing if it means 20,000 fans cant see it

Mike_B
31st August 2005, 07:29 PM
I really don't see how this potential clash is an issue - of those clubs with the potential to have a home final first up, only the Wests Tigers would play theirs at Telstra, so surely the schedule could be arranged to have their game on the Friday night or Sunday afternoon???

Dave
31st August 2005, 08:11 PM
How in the hell does this happen?

Cant the three codes get together and work this out pre-season?

I wouldn't imagine Wests getting more than the Swans to their game also.

Provost
31st August 2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Dave
I wouldn't imagine Wests getting more than the Swans to their game also. Thats exactly right and seeming its money that drives these desicions you would think Telstra Stadium stood took fleece more out of a larger AFL atendence that what it would get out of a NRL game.:rolleyes:

OldE
31st August 2005, 08:28 PM
desicions? atendence?

Provost, have you been drinking? :p

Beaussie
31st August 2005, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't imagine Wests getting more than the Swans to their game also.

True and wasn't it the case that Telstra Stadium management told us to move aside for the ARU because they expected more fans for the Bledisloe.

Doesn't matter anyway as we'll be progressing straight to a prelim at Telstra. :cool:

Charlie
31st August 2005, 08:32 PM
How in the hell does this happen?

Precisely.

This will cost us a lot of money. We can't keep rolling over every time a rugby code says BOO!

:rolleyes:

Dave
31st August 2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Precisely.

This will cost us a lot of money. We can't keep rolling over every time a rugby code says BOO!

Especially when any league team barely draws 20,000 to a normal H&A game at Telstra.

robbieando
31st August 2005, 08:39 PM
This will cost us a lot of money.

Won't cost us a cent. The AFL on the other hand.........

We can't keep rolling over every time a rugby code says BOO!

I wouldn't worry about it too much as in 2003, if we had lost to the Power (which we all know didn't happen), a clash with the NRL finals at Telstra Stadium would of occured and TS management sent the NRL off to the Showgrounds next door and left TS for us, which in the end we didn't even need.

So past history suggests that TS management would favour the AFL over the NRL.

Dave
31st August 2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by robbieando

So past history suggests that TS management would favour the AFL over the NRL.

Telstra needs all the cash it can get.

Just out of interest, do they also get the showgrounds revenue?

robbieando
31st August 2005, 08:49 PM
Just out of interest, do they also get the showgrounds revenue?

I wouldn't know.

Tuesday
31st August 2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by eirinn
desicions? atendence?
Provost, have you been drinking? :p

:eek: You said you wouldn't start without me! :p

footyhead
1st September 2005, 06:47 AM
Precisely.

Until you get a second team in Sydney (which could add incentive by having more games on offer to stadium Oz), you will continually see aussie rules and the Swans jerked around by these stadium operators.
Aussie rules needs to be less of a minority in sin city.

Schneiderman
1st September 2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
Until you get a second team in Sydney (which could add incentive by having more games on offer to stadium Oz), you will continually see aussie rules and the Swans jerked around by these stadium operators.
Aussie rules needs to be less of a minority in sin city.

We haven't been jerked around yet. Stop jumping to hyperboles. There was ONE game this year where we lost out, and it was the Bledisloe Cup FFS. 80,000 @ $180 per ticket vs 45,000 @ $50 per ticket.

I am confident we will get first dibs once again. Just up to us fans to get as many of our friends and family out to the game to ensure we keep getting preference. We can stop blaming TS for making a smart financial decision, and blame ourselves for not giving them enough reason to host our games.

Dave
1st September 2005, 10:21 AM
It will look a bit sad for the NRL if there is a double booking , they get it and cant even get 40,000 there.

Anyway, if we win this weekend - no problem!

cruiser
1st September 2005, 10:28 AM
This is ridiculous. Why the hell do both games, if they happen that weekend, have to be played on the Friday? I'll be very pissed off if we have to play at the SCG instead.

Glenn
1st September 2005, 10:30 AM
May mean a change in days in the final schedule, but their is more chance of Collingwood winning the flag this year, than a SCG Final

Mike_B
1st September 2005, 10:35 AM
Apparently with the NRL's finals system the games must be played in a particular order (4v5, then 3v6, 2v7, 1v8) - must be due to which teams can be knocked out etc and if 7 and 8 lost first up, then the other two games wouldn't be worth playing.

Where the issue seems to be is if the Wests Tigers get a home final, they will play it at Homebush. Now, if they finish 4th, that would be Friday night, and for some reason or another, all the reports seem to assume if we were to lose tomorrow, that our Semi Final would be on Friday night.

Of course the issue becomes a matter of where the Tigers finish - they could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th - if they finish 5th or 6th, this becomes a non-issue, but if they earn a home final, then it will be interesting to see the approach taken by the AFL.

barry
1st September 2005, 10:45 AM
From the article in todays tele it suggested that its the AFL that is sounding out the SCG, and telstra arent happy.

Seeing as we will play Melbourne or Geelong next week, they would be reasonable crowds I would think. I cant understand the logic of moving it to the SCG.

The general concensus on here is that most people prefer Telstra stadium. Ironically, the NRL fans give Telstra the big thumbs down.

cruiser
1st September 2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by barry
Seeing as we will play Melbourne or Geelong next week,
Really? You've given up on any chance of the Swans winning tomorrow night?

sydneyswans1989
1st September 2005, 01:15 PM
Well the smartest thing the AFL could do is move the game to another day to prevent the clash with the rugby. Yes it may be an advantage for us playing at the SCG but what about those who miss out seeing the game because of the small capacity of the SCG?

A bigger crowd at TS to get behind the swans would be great.

barry
1st September 2005, 01:26 PM
The hypocracy is rife with Telstra Stadium management:

Firstly, the AFL have a set draw for H&A and booked the Brisbane v Swans game. Telstra stadium bumped us off when the RU requested it for the bledisloe because it would have a bigger crowd.

Now, the NRL claim a set draw for finals and have it booked for the tigers game. But Telstra stadium wont bump them off for our final even though a much bigger crowd will attend the AFL.

A$$holes.

Sanecow
1st September 2005, 01:34 PM
So you're just ignoring cruiser then?

ScottH
1st September 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
So you're just ignoring cruiser then? :rolleyes:
Don't we all!!! ;)

cruiser
1st September 2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Don't we all!!! ;)
I'll ignore that ... doh! :p

Doright
1st September 2005, 03:24 PM
I hope the game (if we happen to lose this week) is at the SCG.

More of a cauldron, better atmosphere, all memebers get to go.

That is enough for me

cruiser
1st September 2005, 03:25 PM
Someone suggested on Big Footy that they could play the Wests Tigers final as a curtain raiser to the Swans final. :)

Dave
1st September 2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Someone suggested on Big Footy that they could play the Wests Tigers final as a curtain raiser to the Swans final. :)

Why boost their crappy crowd numbers?

j s
1st September 2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Doright
all memebers get to go.
How is the SCG different from TS in this regard?

Doright
1st September 2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by j s
How is the SCG different from TS in this regard?

They are spelt members at TS and also they are the ones who have paid for the right IMO

Larger crowd at TS only inflates AFL coffers, so i dont care.

cruiser
1st September 2005, 03:52 PM
This whole issue is a media beat up. There is every chance that Wests Tigers will finish the season in 3rd place, given that this weekend they will likely beat Penrith and Parra will likely beat Brisbane.

Not to mention our chance of beating the Wiggles tomorrow night.

Norris Lurker
1st September 2005, 05:54 PM
Surely heads have to start rolling in the AFL's ground negotiations legal team if they didn't see this one coming. The same incompetent nongs who signed the long-term MCC prelim final contract and now handing over more and more games to get out of it and then get gazumped by the rugby union.

Mel
1st September 2005, 06:00 PM
I like the idea of the Wests Tigers opening for the Swans. It'd suit my family....husband is a Tigers fan :eek:

Tuesday
1st September 2005, 06:02 PM
Ditto, as is my Dad. He'd be there with bells on!

DST
1st September 2005, 06:19 PM
All the articles and talk seems to be coming from the Rugby League scribes.

It would seem the NRL have sent out the attack dogs to steal a bit of thunder and press coverage this week.

If you think that the Telstra Stadium would give up a Sydney Swans 70,000+ crowd for a Wests Tigers 35,000 to 40,000 crowd you have rocks in your head.

Telstra Stadium is a business which answers to it's shares holders and just as in the case with the Bloodyslow Cup they will favour the dollar and grant us the ground.

DST
:D

All worthless talk anyway as we will ge having the next week off.........

Dave
1st September 2005, 08:56 PM
Heard on ABC radio tonight that if the final isn't played at Telstra it will cost the AFL $2 mil.

GoSouth33
1st September 2005, 10:37 PM
Who cared about getting bumped on the Saturday of the Bledisloe. They got a miserably cold night and a loss....we got a record win on a glorious Sunday afternoon...sounds like win/win to me. I think they call it karma!

Provost
2nd September 2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by eirinn
desicions? atendence?

Provost, have you been drinking? :p Ah yes I had been, I think that was posted after half a bottle of sake.

Mike_B
2nd September 2005, 11:54 AM
In a league article in today's SMH, the AFL has requested being informed when Telstra may or may not be available so they can inform teams that may need to play there next week when they will be playing (obviously we will know if TS is needed for AFL around 11:30 tonight).

cruiser
2nd September 2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by GoSouth33
Who cared about getting bumped on the Saturday of the Bledisloe. They got a miserably cold night and a loss....we got a record win on a glorious Sunday afternoon...sounds like win/win to me. I think they call it karma!
Exactly. I'd be happy to go watch Sydney play on a Saturday arvo rather than a Friday night.

Dave
2nd September 2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Exactly. I'd be happy to go watch Sydney play on a Saturday arvo rather than a Friday night.

Me too.

It's too much of a @@@@@ fight to get anywhere in Sydney before 7.00pm on a Fri.

Besides that, I wont be in town on Fridays for the next few weeks so that makes it more of an issue 4 me. I would spew if I couldn't go to a prelim.