PDA

View Full Version : Footy Show

Rizzo
1st September 2005, 10:02 PM
This should be a standing question....

Could someone south of the border let us Sydney folk know if it's worth staying up for Eddie Everywhere? I don't think the Swans got a mention last time I was suffering insomnia.

I'll come back and check before bedtime.

Thanks in advance!

FredFlintstone
1st September 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi There,

Ray Martin mentioned on A Current Affair earlier tonight that the AFL Footy show will be a first round FINALS special...so i would be extremely disappointed with Eddie and his magpie gang if the SWANS didn't rate a mention considering they are one half of the 2nd Preliminary final......worth staying awake for....telecast time in Sydney in scheduled for 11.35pm but it never starts on time, generally starts at 11.55pm - 12.00am...as the NRL footy show always runs late.....if you can't stay awake, set your DVD or VCR recorder....generally i have found that it also runs over time and ends up finishing around 2.00 - 2.20am!:p

Charlie
1st September 2005, 10:18 PM
There's a vague possibility that I might be spotted in the background of street talk this week. It's in Lygon Street.

Was tempted to wander up with a stupid look on my face, and then hit Sam with the Melbourne Arts student treatment when he's least expecting it. ;)

j s
1st September 2005, 10:42 PM
Could someone post at roughly what stage (ie how many minutes in) the Swans get discussed.

Grant
1st September 2005, 11:15 PM
well about 45 mins in now,and no mention of any teams/tips etc.

Pretty boring so far,just Aker having a whinge about the draw,and about Hamiil bumping him. Then street talk(and i didnt see you Charlie) then a bit of discussion about Dermie,and Dermie,and the hawks.
Now currently talking to Mark Williams(of the port coach variety)which still hasnt excited as yet,although he just confirmed that Primus has had an operation and has done his ACL and will be out for 12 months and may be career over.

Charlie
1st September 2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Grant
(and i didnt see you Charlie)

Nup (not that I'm complaining about that). The bloke they were talking to at the end of the segment was the guy he was talking to when I wandered past.

Incidentally, the school those kids were from is in my suburb as well. It's the one we used to sneer at (until they went from being the school that all the feral no-hopers went to, to suddenly topping the rankings for my area last year! :( )

Grant
1st September 2005, 11:35 PM
10:30pm- 1 hour in,still nothing.

Update since previous post-had Glen Archer on and now Bret Deledio talking about NAB Rising Star award.
Only been through one game so far,Kangas and Port.

Rizzo
1st September 2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks all.

China Mieville is sounding the better option...

I'm guessing they will do the usual...."before we go, tips for West Coast V Sydney boys?" where the panel give two word answers and then the credits roll...at 2am. Snore.

Grant
1st September 2005, 11:45 PM
Hope you guys ang gals in sydney arent sitting up to hear them talk about sydney.Seems we are last on the agenda.
They have now done roos-port game and cats-dees game.In going to the break Eddie said coming up is Almost footy legends and then crows v saints.
They might squeeze us in right at the end will be after 11pm here by then which could well be 1:30 am in sydney:(

Grant
2nd September 2005, 12:05 AM
hour and a half in now,and apparantly we are on after this ad break,i think you may be right Rizzo,they will do our game then time to go in a hurry.

westernswan
2nd September 2005, 12:11 AM
What a joke, here in perth i aint going to wait up for this terrible biasm, if they are trying to promote the game in our state why make our fans stay up till near 1am to hear 1 minute of dialogue spekaing about the clubs biggest game in past few years !!!

pi$$ poor from the footy show,whatever happens though atleast we will have one more week on the footyshow (atleast)

Cher
2nd September 2005, 12:11 AM
11.05 for Swans WC game

anniswan
2nd September 2005, 12:12 AM
The best part about it was the Banner for McLaren

Frog
2nd September 2005, 12:14 AM
I suddenly remembered why I don't watch the "Collingwood" footy show any more ...

Grant
2nd September 2005, 12:15 AM
Yeah that was good,and the comment that maybe Gardiner has a broken toe and is limping around.

And apparantly Aker WANTS us to win the flag but thinks Eagles will.

Cher
2nd September 2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by anniswan
The best part about it was the Banner for McLaren

Yes - I got a laugh out of that!

Frog
2nd September 2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah that was good,and the comment that maybe Gardiner has a broken toe and is limping around.

And apparantly Aker WANTS us to win the flag but thinks Eagles will.

I don't think they will be talking about our Swannies next week ... The Weagles will get a mention though ... ;)

BonBon
2nd September 2005, 12:17 AM
W
ell
DON
e
Mc L
aren

or whatever!

Hamill and Brereton tipped West Coast but Akermanis wants us to win.

How was that guy who got his hair shaved in the shape of the Opera House? That's pretty dedicated.

timbo
2nd September 2005, 12:27 AM
Swans content: "swans go in with an unchanged line up. Your tips boy?" "Eagles...Eagles...swans are in form but Eagles" "after the break..."

The Show's hit a new low this year. It's just horrible. Bullet and Gun is pathetic. Even Trev's lost his humour.

Sanecow
2nd September 2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by BonBon
How was that guy who got his hair shaved in the shape of the Opera House? That's pretty dedicated.

I know! He must really love opera.

BonBon
2nd September 2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
I know! He must really love opera.
LOL.

connolly
2nd September 2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by timbo
Swans content: "swans go in with an unchanged line up. Your tips boy?" "Eagles...Eagles...swans are in form but Eagles" "after the break..."

The Show's hit a new low this year. It's just horrible. Bullet and Gun is pathetic. Even Trev's lost his humour.

Its a bizarre parody of amateur night. Almost totally devoid of any football content - all sizzle and no sausage

ScottH
2nd September 2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Rizzo
This should be a standing question....

Could someone south of the border let us Sydney folk know if it's worth staying up for Eddie Everywhere? I don't think the Swans got a mention last time I was suffering insomnia.

I'll come back and check before bedtime.

Thanks in advance! You'd have to watch the show, to do that, I'm not giving up Alias for Big Ed. ;)

SXP
2nd September 2005, 09:19 AM
The Footy Show is made in Victoria for Victorians so it is understandable where priorities are. It's obvious that a game where two non-victorian teams are playing will always get a low priority showing. Why is everybody here so suprised? I stopped watching this show long time ago to be too biased for my liking.

anne
2nd September 2005, 10:22 AM
Even the NRL footy show is better.

Sanecow
2nd September 2005, 12:04 PM
Let's not be silly.

Thunder Shaker
2nd September 2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Let's not be silly.
If the NRL footy show spend 30 seconds discussing the Swans they will spend more time than the Eddie show.

The Swans games are almost always covered last. Last night, about half the coverage of the Swans was that they had an unchanged lineup. The other half of the Swans coverage was another mention of the salary cap concessions that the Swans have.

The Swans were unchanged for the fifth week in a row! Had it been any other club, that would have merited discussion because it's an unusual occurrence. Eddie's usual preoccupation with statistics would have ensured that.

The anti-Sydney bias in the show is palpably evident, and I'm sure a part of the reason is Eddie's unreasonable tirade against the salary cap concessions that the Swans must have to retain players. Eddie completely misses the point about those concessions. Anyone who runs a large company with a presence in Sydney and other capital cities knows that they MUST pay staff in Sydney a cost of living allowance because Sydney is such an expensive place in which to live. Why should the AFL be any different?

We should let Channel 9 know that by consistently ignoring the Sydney market, they are directly contributing to the lack of success of AFL in penetrating the Sydney market. If the AFL footy show had a policy of a mandatory three-minute to five-minute minimum of coverage for ALL clubs, it would be a more interesting show. Forget the rubbish like song contests and shows featuring bad acting, that's not football and is a waste of time. Such time can be more profitably spent discussing the major news items for every club. It's what a REAL football show would do.

Glenn
2nd September 2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by SXP
The Footy Show is made in Victoria for Victorians so it is understandable where priorities are. It's obvious that a game where two non-victorian teams are playing will always get a low priority showing. Why is everybody here so suprised? I stopped watching this show long time ago to be too biased for my liking.

Well it is a show that goes nationally (albeit in a insomniac hour in NSW/QLD), obviously Eddie is still stuck in the VFL era :rolleyes:

Sanecow
2nd September 2005, 12:34 PM
I confess I haven't watched the Footy Show all year but I have never sat through an entire NRL Footy Show. "Almost Football Legends" and "Sammy Speaks to Special People" are nearly always worth a look but it's probably best to fast forward through the rest.

Tuesday
2nd September 2005, 12:40 PM
... Primus has had an operation and has done his ACL and will be out for 12 months and may be career over.

That's terrible news! :frown I quite like Primus and he's certainly been unlucky with injuries over the last few seasons. Sucks to be forced into retirement unwillingly like that, should that be the case.

Thunder Shaker
2nd September 2005, 12:54 PM
If I was running the AFL footy show, here's how I would organise the show:

* Start at 9.30, end at 11.00. This gives about 72 minutes of running time. Allowing for sponsor commitments, opening and closing credits and other such necessities, this would result in about 65 minutes of usable time.
* Allow 3 minutes for Almost Footy Legends.
* Allow 4 minutes for Sam's Mailbag.
* Allow 3 minutes for Street Talk.
* Allow 5 minutes for Sam's Tirade About The Issue Of The Week.
* Allow 10 minutes to discuss the major football issues of the week.
* Axe everything else. No Eurovision song contests, no bad sketch comedy, no footage of Crawf's operation. If it's not football, axe it.

This leaves 40 minutes. This would be roughly 2+1/2 minutes per club. This time should be split up as evenly as possible, but it's permissible to give clubs that are not playing that week less time. If all clubs were playing, this would be perhaps a mandatory two minutes per club, with an extra 8 minutes left over for interviews with specific players and coaches.

* The matches of the round should be presented in a random order. None of this rubbish like putting the Swans game last, and then running overtime so there's no time to discuss the Swans' news at all.
* Club news should mostly be discussed when that club's team is presented. Remember, there's a two minute minimum per club.
* For clubs that are not playing, due to a split round or finals, their news should be discussed as well, but it's okay to allocate less time. These could be done in a separate segment called "Club news".

punter257
2nd September 2005, 03:13 PM
footy show is going downhill, major changes are needed if they are to continue. last night was a disgrace about the finals but i imagine it would be alot different if 9 were doing the coverage.

what did everyone think about hamill's comment to aker? i thought it was hilarious but i'm sure hamill is regretting it now

satchmopugdog
2nd September 2005, 03:23 PM
I haven't watched the Footy Show all year as it annoys me so much now. I thought I would give it a go again last night. But I activated the Off Button when Eddie started his wingeing to Aker about the benefits Q'Land and NSW get. It was like Ground Hog Day.I couldn't stand it any longer!!!!!!

big bear
2nd September 2005, 03:29 PM
Life is much better if your don't waste time and watch the crap. Ignore Maguire and his parochial bull****. I have done this for 2 years. Don't encourage the bastards by watching.

BayesysLeftBoot
2nd September 2005, 08:12 PM
Do you guys get channel 10s 'before the game' in Sydney. Easily the best football show on TV. Also Any given sunday is pretty funny as well, Garry Lyon as a host is eddies better in every respect. One of the funniest things I've hear all year was when Garry was talking about the bulldogs and the "fighting spirit of the western suburbs" and Sam replied "What fighting spirit? You mean the one with the all the machetes and baseball bats"

Mike_B
2nd September 2005, 08:54 PM
We occasionally get Before the Game after the 5th quarter - used to get it when it was After the Game. Don't get Any Given Sunday - up here its the Sunday Roast, The Sunday Footy Show and Boots and All on a Sunday morning 11am-1pm.