PDA

View Full Version : Season gone...?

timbo
3rd September 2005, 12:50 AM
Coming off a trip to Perth, will be sore.

Then have to win twice to get to the grannie.

Preliminary will be a interstate trip.

If make the grannie, 4th road trip in 5 games.

Are we as good as the lions of '03 who did exactly that?

Bigger loss than the grand final this one, experience didn't help (especially with the umpires).

Gutted. :(

swans_premiers
3rd September 2005, 12:52 AM
We'll either win the Premiership or lose next week. Thats my general feelings on things.

Charlie
3rd September 2005, 12:53 AM
'Tis over.

The most important screw-job since??

Mike_B
3rd September 2005, 12:54 AM
Not over, but the reality now is that it will be a huge ask to win a PF away, and then to have to back up in the GF - it doesn't look good.

But as is an oft heard catch-cry in my cricket team: "We are still there, we can still do it".

Schneiderman
3rd September 2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
'Tis over.

Round 6 revisited!

Ye of little faith need to keep up the support! Its not over till there is a fat lady involved!

akitchener
3rd September 2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Not over, but the reality now is that it will be a huge ask to win a PF away, and then to have to back up in the GF - it doesn't look good.

But as is an oft heard catch-cry in my cricket team: "We are still there, we can still do it".

Have faith, guys! Stranger things have happened!!

timbo
3rd September 2005, 12:58 AM
Stranger things have happened!!

well if we get the first free next week i'll feel a bit excited.

barry
3rd September 2005, 12:59 AM
We are simply paying the price for playing like lepers in the first half of the year. If we had our A into Gear back then, tonights game would be at Homebush, and we'd be straight down to the TAB to mortgage the house.

We'll easily win the next final. But its going to be tough against a rested Adelaide or Saints.

Charlie
3rd September 2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Round 6 revisited!

Ye of little faith need to keep up the support! Its not over till there is a fat lady involved!

Dream all you like. You'll only feel the way I do in the end. We'll both survive.

Our flag chance, for all practical purposes, was stolen tonight.

ugg
3rd September 2005, 01:05 AM
Just hope that the Dees-Cats game will be as tough and physical as tonight's game.

Sanecow
3rd September 2005, 01:06 AM
It's over. I gave my old man 1000/1 on us winning the grand final. He bet $10 :p Easiest money I ever made.

Frog
3rd September 2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Complete this series 9, 18, 33 ....

Complete this series : LWWWLWWWLWWWWL ...

Thunder Shaker
3rd September 2005, 02:26 AM
Since the St Kilda game in round 10, the Swans have lost only three games. The margins in those losses were 1 point (Richmond at the MCG), 7 points (Adelaide at the Casa de Ferals) and 4 points (umpire-assisted Eagles at Subiaco).

We are still in it. Nothing in our form suggests we are going to suffer elimination next week. Until we are eliminated or we win the flag the season is not over.

BonBon
3rd September 2005, 03:31 AM
Our season is not over yet. We have a 2nd chance, so let's make use of it if we're smart enough. I know that the loss tonight made it 1 step harder, but we have to be thankful we'll be at home next Saturday. And aren't we maybe playing at SCG because of the NRL clash? An even better advantage, I say.

All we need is for Geelong and Melbourne to play dirty and bash the crap out of one another and have a sore result.

We'll be right.

cruiser
3rd September 2005, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
Since the St Kilda game in round 10, the Swans have lost only three games. The margins in those losses were 1 point (Richmond at the MCG), 7 points (Adelaide at the Casa de Ferals) and 4 points (umpire-assisted Eagles at Subiaco).

We are still in it. Nothing in our form suggests we are going to suffer elimination next week. Until we are eliminated or we win the flag the season is not over.
I totally agree withy you. We will win next week, then the following week we will play Adelaide or St Kilda, both winnable. Then I reckon it'l likely be West Coast in the GF. We will kill them there. They will FEAR US more than ever after tonight's game.

Bas
3rd September 2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Round 6 revisited!

Is that who the grannie is?

Bron
3rd September 2005, 10:01 AM
We only have to win the next three games. Same deal as yesterday afternoon, just a different three games.

Good experience.

Also, after the outcry about the disgraceful umpiring, we would have to think that the umpiring has to be better next week.

juliec
3rd September 2005, 10:06 AM
Come on guys, its not over, lets have a little more faith in our team, I think they will bounce back, it will be a little harder now, we had a few important players down last night, I am sure they will lift for us next week, we are still in it, that means we are still a chance:rolleyes:

Dave
3rd September 2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Bron
Also, after the outcry about the disgraceful umpiring, we would have to think that the umpiring has to be better next week.

Why, it hasn't made a difference before?

We can match it with any team. It's not over yet.

punter257
3rd September 2005, 10:12 AM
yeah we have to keep the faith and try to be positive at this stage. we'll bounce back next week 4 sure

Jeffers1984
3rd September 2005, 10:15 AM
The players mental state is the key now. There will be alot of emotinally ****ed players now.

Dave
3rd September 2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
The players mental state is the key now. There will be alot of emotinally ****ed players now.

They've got to realise that if they want it, they can still get it.
Roosey will sort them out.

Bas
3rd September 2005, 10:18 AM
My concern was always going to be the preliminary final. Playing at Telstra did not help us in 03.

We will have to play a team which has beaten us twice in the last two meetings. At least this way if we can get through the prelim we may get a chance to play West Coast or a team that will be travelling back from Perth. If it pours at Subi for the prelim, then this will really disadvantage the winner in the GF. We won't have to beat both St Kilda and Adelaide to win the GF.

I hope we play at the SCG next week and then take on the Crows the week after.

hammo
3rd September 2005, 11:02 AM
It's definitely not over.

The key will be the players mental state having come so close but yet so far. If they are sore they can not train all week.

The players will all still want to prove something. We have a nightmare run to the GF but that will make drinking out of the premiership cup all the more sweeter.

Albert Park
3rd September 2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by hammo

The key will be the players mental state having come so close but yet so far. If they are sore they can not train all week.

The players will all still want to prove something. We have a nightmare run to the GF but that will make drinking out of the premiership cup all the more sweeter.

I thought the Swans played like Heroes:
Huge hostile crowd, difficult ground, two of the worst decisions in a season marred by the umpires' tyranny and they still held the seasons leaders to 4 points.

Remember the shocked silence that fell on 43,000 sand gropers for an hour over second and 3rd quarters.

This is not the time to desert the Swans when they have played so bravely and well and will do so again.

The Eagles now have to face the fear of a GF with either the Crows who beat them in forterss Subiaco or the Swans who could have with a kick or the Saints who they havent seen since round 8.
In their own minds, with out Subi, they are second raters . And the Grand Final aint being played at Subi

timbo
3rd September 2005, 11:32 AM
thats a good point.

if we can play that good against the umpires wait until the grand final when we hopefully get 3 decent umps and a neutral crowd.

Xie Shan
3rd September 2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Albert Park
This is not the time to desert the Swans when they have played so bravely and well and will do so again.

Hell no! I hope next week's game IS at Telstra Stadium - we could get 50,000+ IMO. I'll try and drag a couple of friends along who say they're Swans fans but hardly go to the games...time to show it! And don't give up on the bikkies just yet Eirinn ;)

Xie Shan
3rd September 2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by timbo
decent umps

An oxymoron?

NMWBloods
3rd September 2005, 01:28 PM
Of course it's not over.

We are still favourites to win next week. A tought trip to Perth makes that a bit tougher, but we are still well placed.

The following week will be Adelaide or StKilda. We can win at AAMI. StKilda at MCG is a tougher proposition, but if we are flag material we need to win games like that.

Charlie
3rd September 2005, 01:31 PM
I'm slightly less pessimistic than last night... but only slightly. It will be an extraordinary feat to get to the Grand Final from here.

Wardy
3rd September 2005, 01:48 PM
Come on - its not over - we have the second chance - and I think we can do what Brisbane did in '03 - they travelled all over the show.

And its true it aint over till the fat chick starts to sing - and being in that category I havent even considered doing my singing scales until very late in the 4th quarter of the GF! so there! ;)

Mike_B
3rd September 2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Wardy
I havent even considered doing my singing scales until very late in the 4th quarter of the GF! so there! ;)

We better be in front by 5 goals at the time!!!

ScottH
3rd September 2005, 08:48 PM
Did anyone hear the fat lady singing????

I didn't!!

Wardy
4th September 2005, 11:28 AM
Well said Scott - I aint singin till its all over red rover (and we are 5 goals in front in the GF):p

ScottH
4th September 2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Wardy
Well said Scott - I aint singin till its all over red rover (and we are 5 goals in front in the GF):p with 5 mins to go!!!!!!!!!

Whitefox
4th September 2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Albert Park

The Eagles now have to face the fear of a GF with either the Crows who beat them in forterss Subiaco

When WC had rushed three blokes who'd hardly played for 5 weeks back into the side.

barry
4th September 2005, 08:56 PM
We get a trail run on the MCG before the grand final. ;)

EMJ
4th September 2005, 09:00 PM
I agreed yesterday with a previous poster that stated "Brisbane won in 2003 after being creamed in the first final and fought back to win all three following games - I think we can do it.

Barry Hall has said they have a game on this weekend and that is their aim.
SCG hopefully will have heaps of Swans supporters and fair go umpires!

SXP
4th September 2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by janpa
I agreed yesterday with a previous poster that stated "Brisbane won in 2003 after being creamed in the first final and fought back to win all three following games - I think we can do it.

My question would be is our side of 2005 as good as Brisbane of 2003?

BayesysLeftBoot
5th September 2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by SXP
My question would be is our side of 2005 as good as Brisbane of 2003?

Our side this year is better than our side of 2003 and don't forget our side of 2003 was only "just" beaten by the Lions. So the answer is.............maybe!

Barry_Hall
5th September 2005, 11:11 AM
I dont think we will have a problem getting over geelong (I reckon we will win by 7 goals +) but I highly doubt that we can get over the saints at the MCG. I f we can beat the saints I dont think there is any side that can stop us from winning the big one, because if we beat the saints, its gonna be the first non victorian grand final, meaning that both sides have to travel 2 the 'G'.

I would even go as far as to say we should rest willow this week, get him ready for the prelim...

ScottH
5th September 2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Barry_Hall
I dont think we will have a problem getting over geelong (I reckon we will win by 7 goals +) but I highly doubt that we can get over the saints at the MCG. I f we can beat the saints I dont think there is any side that can stop us from winning the big one, because if we beat the saints, its gonna be the first non victorian grand final, meaning that both sides have to travel 2 the 'G'.

I would even go as far as to say we should rest willow this week, get him ready for the prelim... No very comforting coming from the Captain!!!! :D

BTW 2004 GF Port Adelaide v Brisbane Lions = First All Interstate/Non Victorian GF

cowcar
5th September 2005, 11:47 AM
Against Geelong, we will spank them, against the Saints, at the G, big problems there. But if we manage to do it, the flag is ours. Basically the winner of that prelim will go on to win the flag..

Sanecow
5th September 2005, 11:53 AM
With Adelaide, Port Adelaide and West Coast falling on to the other side of the draw, from this point (disregarding the weekend's efforts and looking to the future) I'd say we are still a chance. Hopefully I will end up owing the old man $10,000.

I'm looking forward to a belter of a Showdown this week followed by a grudge match the following week for WCE v (probably but no guarantee) Adelaide. Or did Adelaide concentrate too much on the minor Premiership?

Our run to the GF only involves teams that finished below us on the ladder now due to a strategic loss by the boys on the W/E. I imagine we will start favourites v Geelong, then a game v injured St Kilda (Gehrig can't pick up the ball apparently, it has that horrible 1996 vibe for the Sainters).

mocaholic
5th September 2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Dream all you like. You'll only feel the way I do in the end. We'll both survive.

Our flag chance, for all practical purposes, was stolen tonight.
I'm with you Charlie.

The other three finals fell our way: we would have been fresh and raring to go against a depleted Adelaide-based team, fresh from a hard slog in the showdown.

Now we've got to play the Saints in Melb for the PF. Hard yards.

NMWBloods
9th December 2005, 04:54 PM
Hee hee - I just found this thread and I'm pleased to say I was one of the more positive people in it!! :D

Sanecow
9th December 2005, 05:25 PM
Best $10,000 I ever lost.

Charlie
9th December 2005, 05:26 PM
We were a long shot after that game. I was three seconds away from being right, but I'm happy enough to be wrong. :D

satchmopugdog
9th December 2005, 06:07 PM
I can remember reading this thread and just about slitting my wrists........now I don't care because we did all those statistical improbabilities and the fat lady sang just after Leo's mark.

swans_premiers
10th December 2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by swans_premiers
We'll either win the Premiership or lose next week. Thats my general feelings on things.

;)

graystar
11th December 2005, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by timbo
Coming off a trip to Perth, will be sore.

Then have to win twice to get to the grannie.

Preliminary will be a interstate trip.

If make the grannie, 4th road trip in 5 games.

Are we as good as the lions of '03 who did exactly that?

Bigger loss than the grand final this one, experience didn't help (especially with the umpires).

Gutted. :(

yep

hammo
12th December 2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by hammo

:D And how sweet it was!!