PDA

View Full Version : Who would you want to have a kick after the siren

legaff
5th September 2005, 06:15 PM
Ok it's GRAND FINAL day...10 seconds on the clock. A player marks it 45 m out, on a 45 degree angle. Who do you want that player to be? Who has the skill as well the psychological ability to handle that situation?

Nick Davis in my opinion. He's definetly the man i would trust. Such a beautiful kick of the ball.

Ryan Bomford
5th September 2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by legaff
Ok it's GRAND FINAL day...10 seconds on the clock. A player marks it 45 m out, on a 45 degree angle. Who do you want that player to be? Who has the skill as well the psychological ability to handle that situation?

Nick Davis in my opinion. He's definetly the man i would trust. Such a beautiful kick of the ball.

Plugger;)

Bleed Red Blood
5th September 2005, 06:16 PM
Hall.

Big Al
5th September 2005, 06:20 PM

That reminds me of what Dennis Cometti said when asked if you had to choose someone to kick a goal to save your life, his reply was his Mum, after a silence he said that even though she cant kick at least she would care

legaff
5th September 2005, 06:23 PM
haha thats pretty funny

NMWBloods
5th September 2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
That reminds me of what Dennis Cometti said when asked if you had to choose someone to kick a goal to save your life, his reply was his Mum, after a silence he said that even though she cant kick at least she would care
I remember when he said it - I loved that one! :D

Agent 86
5th September 2005, 06:25 PM

What's the score?

NMWBloods
5th September 2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Agent 86
What's the score?
We're in front by 75 points.

I'd love it to be Ball taking the last kick of his career.

legaff
5th September 2005, 06:30 PM
Oh sorry i forgot to mention the score. We are 5 points down...kicking to win the GF after the siren.

Thunder Shaker
5th September 2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Agent 86
What's the score?
Hopefully we're up by six goals so it doesn't matter.

I think the hypothetical margin would be 1 to 5 points, so only a goal can win us the game.

Big Al
5th September 2005, 06:37 PM
Oh sorry i forgot to mention the score. We are 5 points down...kicking to win the GF after the siren.

It doesnt matter, my heart would have given out by this stage anyway but if I had to choose anyone it would be Hall

Whitefox
5th September 2005, 06:37 PM
Davis then daylight.

stellation
5th September 2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
I believe that may have been prompted by the Mick Malthouse suggestion that if he had to choose someone to kick a goal to save his life it would be.... Nick Davis

Thanks to the wonders of the trade table, we have that option and I think I'll take Nick Davis... lock it in Eddie :D

BonBon
5th September 2005, 06:53 PM
Just say we lost the Grand Final... Would we rather lose by 1 point, 50 points or 100 points?

NMWBloods
5th September 2005, 06:54 PM
30 points and always be behind!

NMWBloods
5th September 2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
I think the hypothetical margin would be 1 to 5 points, so only a goal can win us the game.

Would be 2 to 5 points, as otherwise 1 point gives you an out - a tied game and replay next week.

At 45m or further I'd pick Davis.

At 40m or closer I'd pick Hall.

big bear
5th September 2005, 06:56 PM
Nick Davis. No comment needed,

Big Al
5th September 2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by BonBon
Just say we lost the Grand Final... Would we rather lose by 1 point, 50 points or 100 points?

1 Point - Id cry for 6 months, 50 Points- Id be proud of the boys for getting there and 100 Points- Id cry for 6 months

Bart
5th September 2005, 07:00 PM
Andrew Dunkley

Schneiderman
5th September 2005, 07:00 PM
From 45m - Nick Davis

From 40m or closer - Hall

EDIT: Definately NOT LRT. Even from 10m directly in front I couldn't watch.

Big Al
5th September 2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Andrew Dunkley

Not even if the kick was on the goal line.

Chubby Muffler
5th September 2005, 07:10 PM
Baz. Davis has a beautiful kick but I reckon Baz would handle the pressure better.

If it was 2 seconds left running away from the goal square deep in a pocket at an impossible angle whilst being prusued by 3 rampant defenders with the only option a blind snap over his shoulder - Magic.

big bear
5th September 2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Andrew Dunkley
Are you trying to commit suicide. Please don't we need you

5th September 2005, 07:15 PM
70m out Dempster. Anything else LRT. They are guns :) .

Snowy
5th September 2005, 07:20 PM
Hall. You have to trust your gun forward. I reckon he would will himself into it.

Plugger46
5th September 2005, 07:30 PM
Hall or O'Loughlin would handle the pressure the best I think.

ROK Lobster
5th September 2005, 08:56 PM
I don't think Hall would handle the pressure. I think RWO would go into meltdown if Davis took it and missed. I think the Irishman would handle the pressure best.

Barry_Hall
5th September 2005, 08:56 PM
DEFINATELY Nick Davis, no if buts or maybe's, he is one of, if not the best kick in the afl.

If not Davis then Hall

naomi
5th September 2005, 09:04 PM

nick davis

timbo
5th September 2005, 09:12 PM
you would normally want hall to do it, having done it twice before.

but i want o'loughlin or maxfield, just cause they earned it.

Destructive
5th September 2005, 09:28 PM
I'll take BBB Barry Hall.

punter257
5th September 2005, 10:50 PM
amon buchanan

Jeffers1984
5th September 2005, 10:54 PM
Hall, because he has done it twice before.

BonBon
5th September 2005, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see Sanecow have a go.

Slick Swans
5th September 2005, 11:01 PM
barry Hall would handle the pressure better than davis.
if the shot was 60 out, i'd hand it to ablett to give it a ride.

TheHood
5th September 2005, 11:16 PM
Jon Hay if we're playing the Hawks or Ben Holland if it were the Dees! :p

msabenny
5th September 2005, 11:26 PM
barry hall to kick a captains goal

Snowy
6th September 2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
I don't think Hall would handle the pressure. I think RWO would go into meltdown if Davis took it and missed. I think the Irishman would handle the pressure best.

I think Kennelly has missed two crucial goals under last 1/4 pressure against the Crows and Eagles.

liz
6th September 2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Slick Swans
barry Hall would handle the pressure better than davis.
if the shot was 60 out, i'd hand it to ablett to give it a ride.

Davis is far more consistent over that distance - no competition in that category as far as I am concerned.

If it was up to 40m out and on a reasonable angle, I'd have Baz taking it. Anything else, Davis.

NMWBloods
6th September 2005, 12:34 AM
I don't think Ablett has the temperament.

Has Kennelly ever kicked a set shot goal?

liz
6th September 2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods

Has Kennelly ever kicked a set shot goal?

Yup, he nailed one in the 2003 PF against Brisbane in the 3rd term as we were fighting back. (I believe Ablett scored his first ever goal just before or just after that Kennelly goal.)

He also scored one against the Roos at Canberra last season - but missed another sitter in the same term.

And while my memory is getting a bit stretched now, he scored a couple of goals against Freo mid-2002 in Roos' first game as coach and I have a feeling one of those might have been a set shot.

That's probably about the lot though!

Tuesday
6th September 2005, 01:58 AM
I'd want a fairytale.

Someone like Vogels -- newbie, limited experience at senior level, with the opportunity kids (and adults) dream about. He's mature enough to withstand the pressure, and one can only dream of the headlines... Fairytale!

Otherwise, it'd be Craig Bolton, hands down -- the player most would overlook for such a task. He's confident, experienced and is known within to be the best kick in the club. Fairytale!

Either one. Strange, because I was never fond of Fairytales...

ugg
6th September 2005, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by liz

And while my memory is getting a bit stretched now, he scored a couple of goals against Freo mid-2002 in Roos' first game as coach and I have a feeling one of those might have been a set shot.

I'm 99% sure he marked one at the top of the goalsquare that was used as the front page of the sports section photo.

OldE
6th September 2005, 02:38 AM
I'd probably pick Nick D, he's been brilliant of late.

But, if I could choose anyone, it would have to be Sean Dempster. Kicking his first ever goal. Not the most reliable choice, perhaps, but the one that would make me smile the post.

(not that any premiership-winning-goal wouldn't make me smile. Or, for that matter, cry hysterically)

ScottH
6th September 2005, 07:41 AM
DAVIS

SimonH
6th September 2005, 01:57 PM
1. Daryn Creswell.
2. Ricky Mott.

Oh, alright, Nick Davis. He has the arrogance you need in that situation. It would never cross his mind that he might miss.

Ruck'n'Roll
6th September 2005, 04:09 PM
Of the current players, Nick Davis or if he's not available . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ben Matthews (He almost never misses from a set shot).

Mel
6th September 2005, 04:41 PM
Nick Davis for sure.

Sanecow
6th September 2005, 05:03 PM
Andrew Dunkley.

Dave
6th September 2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Andrew Dunkley.

Jason Daniels.

Seriously though, Nick Davis.

Sanecow
6th September 2005, 05:29 PM
Davis, bah! Bevan, Jolly or Kennelly are far more accurate.

Dave
6th September 2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Davis, bah! Bevan, Jolly or Kennelly are far more accurate.

Nick Davis - Superboot.

Sanecow
6th September 2005, 05:47 PM
The stats don't show OOBOTF or kicks that drop short so I might be totally wrong. :rolleyes:

KillerQueen
6th September 2005, 05:58 PM
Would have to be Davis

legaff
6th September 2005, 08:51 PM
Definately would have to be Ricky Mott.. He really knows how to stand up in those huge moments