PDA

View Full Version : Bad decision good for us?

Slick Swans
5th September 2005, 10:23 PM
Now that i've started recovering from my disapointment from friday night, i've decided that the amount of media pressure put on the umpires may possibly give us a better run with the umps for the rest of the finals.
Does anyone else share my theory?

SXP
5th September 2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Slick Swans
Now that i've started recovering from my disapointment from friday night, i've decided that the amount of media pressure put on the umpires may possibly give us a better run with the umps for the rest of the finals.
Does anyone else share my theory?

Maybe until PF. After that it will be back to the same old story.

Dave
5th September 2005, 10:42 PM
Well Roosey took a whole video of "please explains" to Geischen before - it obviously had no effect.

You can just imagine the outcry if Sydney had benefitted from the umpiring though: "the AFL want Sydney to win so they are helping them etc,etc...." Eddie would be having a field day.

redunderthebed
5th September 2005, 10:46 PM
all Victoria want the gorgeous Saiters to win.Maybe the 'fair, reasonable and gorgeous' Umps will remain independent.
And maybe they will become super human ,competant and show great courage against a savage crowd threatening life and death too.
Then again,maybe Victoria needs winners more than other states?Certainly, in fairness,I think the Vics might support the Old Bloods against the Weagles or the Adelaide duopoly.

punter257
5th September 2005, 10:56 PM
you would think that we might get a better run but i'm tipping the umpy's will get together and give us SFA. they will be stubborn and show they wont be influenced

SXP
5th September 2005, 10:59 PM
Everything is possible, that is why our players shouldn't count on them and try to win games on their own right.

TheHood
5th September 2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by redunderthebed
all Victoria want the gorgeous Saiters to win.Maybe the 'fair, reasonable and gorgeous' Umps will remain independent.
And maybe they will become super human ,competant and show great courage against a savage crowd threatening life and death too.
Then again,maybe Victoria needs winners more than other states?Certainly, in fairness,I think the Vics might support the Old Bloods against the Weagles or the Adelaide duopoly.

Doesn't matter what anyone wants except for the individual umpire who officiates our games and as far as I can see, we're the least of their premiership priorities. Those little .***s hate us.

I can never forgive them for that. I know deep down that we needed a goal or more to take them out of the game, but why do we have to cope with that every week? Why should they have the power to alter our destiny all other things being equal?

They destroyed a lot of Sydney's soul on the weekend. Not because of one decision, but because they have been trying it on for a few years now. This year we have got the least out of them and Friday night was their bungling climax!

Matt79
5th September 2005, 11:18 PM
I know that sometimes our dislike towards the tripe served up by the umpires week in and week out towards us may be viewed as us just being, "one-eyed supporters".

However, after Friday's umpiring debarcle I have never had sooooo many non afl followers come up to at work etc. and say how shocking, discraceful the umpiring was in Q4 of that match.

Problem is, they can turn the match, get away with it and I can picture it now...

Friday night, 31 minutes into the last quarter, we are up by a point. Leapin Leo picks up the ball from the ground, gets swamped by a 1000 players and Goldspink licks his lips, gets into position and WHAM... "That's holding the ball Leo, free kick to Geelong". :mad:

Frog
6th September 2005, 12:09 AM
all Victoria want the gorgeous Saiters to win.

Then again,maybe Victoria needs winners more than other states?

Please count this Victorian out of that sentiment ... I will accept "most", not all !!! ... ;)

And as a Victorian, nothing right now would be sweeter than a NSWelsh victory ...

NMWBloods
6th September 2005, 12:35 AM
all Victoria want the gorgeous Saiters to win.

Then again,maybe Victoria needs winners more than other states?

Don't be silly. There are plenty of Victorians on this board and also plenty who aren't barracking for the Saints.

Schneiderman
6th September 2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Frog
And as a Victorian, nothing right now would be sweeter than a NSWelsh victory ...

Not the least of which being because the Swans as South had so precious little of it too :p

TheHood
6th September 2005, 09:08 AM
Stenglein confirms he bumped Leo because he wanted to stop him from getting into space behind him.

Matters not right now.

Here's a positive spin, if you're like me and you get a little sad at the end of footy season, then at least you will get to see your Swannies play possibly 3 more games!

It's a bit sugary, but hey, even dim lights make a dark tunnel bearable.

anne
6th September 2005, 09:33 AM
The umpires will go out of their way to prove they are NOT favouring us to make up for robbing us last week. We will get worse umpiring than ever - if that is possible. They will get 4 goals from frees, 2 of ours will be disallowed, free kicks will be 2 to 1 their way and thank God there are no send offs in AFL. We must play well enough to overcome all this. And I am still angry that Sydney is just so accepting of what happened and not letting the AFL know how angry they were. St Kilda has had a dream run with umpiring since they complained and Hird's benefits lasted for weeks. Sydney are just little lap dogs who lie down and take everything and the umpires will keep treating us as crap.

Thunder Shaker
6th September 2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Matt79
Friday night, 31 minutes into the last quarter, we are up by a point. Leapin Leo picks up the ball from the ground, gets swamped by a 1000 players and Goldspink licks his lips, gets into position and WHAM... "That's holding the ball Leo, free kick to Geelong". :mad:
Barry Hall licks his lips and asks the umpire, "I would like a count of teams, please."

Sean
6th September 2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by anne
St Kilda has had a dream run with umpiring since they complained Not exactly - they were very poorly treated against Freo.

However, apart from that they are doing alright. The funny thing is that they were having a dream run before the complaints - they have received more frees than anyone else this season apparantly.

So, why was Thomas complaining? Almost seems like it was an investment for their finals campaign.

sharp9
6th September 2005, 11:40 AM
By the way, has no one seems to have made mention of the goal disallowed to Davis after a legitimate mark from Bazza was called a free. Ump was in the wrong spot and looked at player throwing his head back anf guessed. Bloody Hell!

All I can sy is thank God I watched it yesterday and not on Saturady night. (it took me two days to work up the courage!)

NMWBloods
6th September 2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
By the way, has no one seems to have made mention of the goal disallowed to Davis after a legitimate mark from Bazza was called a free. Ump was in the wrong spot and looked at player throwing his head back anf guessed. Bloody Hell!

I did elsewhere - that was one of the worst decisions of the night as it was just such a non-call.

The C Bolton one was also a shocker.

Plugger46
6th September 2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I did elsewhere - that was one of the worst decisions of the night as it was just such a non-call.

The C Bolton one was also a shocker.

Yes we really were crucified.

SimonH
6th September 2005, 01:10 PM
I would like to see McInerney umpire another Swans game this year.

You know how umps often pay soft 'make-up' free kicks after they've clearly made the wrong call in the previous play? Well, he owes us about 10 make-up frees, and after the media circus this week, he knows it.

anne
6th September 2005, 01:40 PM
He wouldn't care in the least. He obviously hates us.

Bob Neil
6th September 2005, 02:18 PM
I'd like to see a few choice banners at the Geelong (& Saints?) games to display our disgust;

"We should be home playing Power or Crows next week, not Saints in Melbourne"

Goal from sus free; "Kicks a McInerney"

"Don't bump anyone, Leaping Leo!" (multiples of this might be amusing)

"Got your Teflon socks on tonight, Goodsey?"

Maybe some decent TV producer will give some air-time....

Suspect a lot of vocal Cats fans here this w/end.
Lots of upbeat press about Cats today.