PDA

View Full Version : Iemma sees the light

Glenn
7th September 2005, 07:32 PM
Its a conspiracy (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16523570-23211,00.html)

The Labor leader then challenged Victorian premier Steve Bracks, a noted Geelong fan, on the outcome of Friday night's semi-final between the Swans and the Cats at the SCG.

So to Steve, if the Cats get done you will have to fly the Sydney Swans flag not in Spring St, I would like to see it flying above the MCG."

:D

dawson
7th September 2005, 08:13 PM
He has very shrewd political advisors.

He has my vote!

Charlie
7th September 2005, 08:18 PM
Any word on whether Bracks has taken the bet? :)

OldE
7th September 2005, 08:20 PM
Also nice to see someone come out and say something extreme.

Interesting, though, that the conspiracy stuff was edited out of the sydneyswans.com.au version.

dawson
7th September 2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by eirinn
Also nice to see someone come out and say something extreme.

Interesting, though, that the conspiracy stuff was edited out of the sydneyswans.com.au version.

Just shows the whole nonsense of the KGB-like AFL regime.

Everyone in the world can say what they want but for the players and umpires.

The AFL is allowed to take potshots at clubs, players and coaches but not the other way around.

Iemma should be appluaded for what he said.

Glenn
7th September 2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Any word on whether Bracks has taken the bet? :)

Not sure if he took the bet, I guess we will find out when someone goes down to the G and sees the Swans Flag flying above it :D

eirinn, I guess the conspiracy part had to be edited for the official site (even if we all know it's true ;) )

punter257
7th September 2005, 09:35 PM
did anyone see roosy in the background when he was making the comments? had a nice smirk on his face and was probably thinking that the point might get across to the AFL without the $20000

Captain
7th September 2005, 10:38 PM
I thought the guy is a Collingwood supporter??

Glenn
7th September 2005, 10:52 PM
Is a Collingwood supporter, but I guess now has a soft spot for Sydney.
Just saw a ad for Sports Tonight, and the Morris Iemma presentation will be included, and the shot at the Umps :D

SimonH
7th September 2005, 11:13 PM
It's always a good sign when pollies get on the bandwagon.

The only bad news is that he's peaked a couple of weeks early.

OldE
7th September 2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
Is a Collingwood supporter

A Collingwood supporter the premier of NSW?

Wonders never cease.

Mike_B
8th September 2005, 12:01 AM
I saw the Swans flag flying over the G less than 2 weeks ago...

ScottH
8th September 2005, 07:44 AM
That might of been coz we were playing there!!! :p

Did you notice the Pies flags on the 2 cranes?? hehehe

Iemma = Bandwagoner

ScottH
8th September 2005, 07:56 AM
Iemma bags Swans umps (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16523570-23210,00.html)
"I can tell you it wasn't the best effort that the AFL umpires have put on this year that effort on Friday night. Yes you could be conspiratorial and say there was a conspiracy against Sydney."

mja
8th September 2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
[BIemma = Bandwagoner [/B]
What was the stupid thing Bob Carr said re Swans (or was it Lockett) when he jumped on the wagon

Nothing wrong with an ex aussie rules player from NSW having two sides - very very common - ie pre Swans Sydney people had a side and now they have two.

Even my Melb born wife who was died in the wool Blues fan now cheers for the Swans

connolly
8th September 2005, 08:55 AM
Carr said"Now which one is plunger?" Which is really funny if you know Carr. Maurice has attended Swans games in the past and is an extremely knowledgable AFL observer. At last the code has some political recognition in Macquarie Street against the game they play in boardrooms (although he follows the maggies)

floppinab
8th September 2005, 09:02 AM
There's a thread about Iemma's AF background here :

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10214&perpage=12&pagenumber=2

anne
8th September 2005, 09:35 AM
Good on him. He is the only person in the public eye who has the guts to come out and tell the truth. Much better than that sleazy, whingeing moron we have down here.

pillowtalk
8th September 2005, 12:54 PM
We know that Bob Carr was 'bookish' and un-sporty but he did have a sincere interest in the swans. He often sent a personal congratulatory note to the team and that was off his own bat without an adviser prompting him to.

As for Iemma, he did state that he followed Collingwood but the reason for that was when he played junior afl Collingwood ran a coaching clinic for his team and he was hooked after that. He still is behind Sydney.

The flag bet between Bracks and Iemma is carrying on the tradition. NSW has the same bet with Premier Beattie when League State of Origin is on.

EMJ
8th September 2005, 02:24 PM
Instead of just getting a free guernsey Iemma - it would be nice if we saw genuine support by talking us up against NRL or mentioning the Swans heaps.

Sanecow
8th September 2005, 02:36 PM
Get on board already Iemma you bastard! Toot toot!

Albert Park
8th September 2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by janpa
Instead of just getting a free guernsey Iemma - it would be nice if we saw genuine support by talking us up against NRL or mentioning the Swans heaps.

The Premier claims to have played Aussie Rules with St George from under 7s to Under 17s
So he has the credentials but why in the name of God would a NSW premier say he even recognised the Pies .
Maybe he was trying for the underdog image or maybe he had done a deal for Eddie Maguire to be his campaign manager

Mr Roos gave the new Premier the number 1 jersey.
I hope Barry Hall doesnt get the huff and take the week off.

Regardless of how well Morrie played as a junior I dont think he could stand up against Mathew Scarlet tommorrow night!

sharpie
8th September 2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Albert Park
I hope Barry Hall doesnt get the huff and take the week off.

That was last week.

Albert Park
8th September 2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
That was last week.
Touche!!

Albert Park
8th September 2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
That was last week.
Maybe Barry has been sidelined for the poor game last week and Iemma is in as CHF and Captain.
They wont win the semi but think of the Govenment support the Swans would get.

sharpie
8th September 2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Albert Park
Maybe Barry has been sidelined for the poor game last week and Iemma is in as CHF and Captain.
They wont win the semi but think of the Govenment support the Swans would get.

Haha, but the government would get any support from swans supporters after he costs us the game.