PDA

View Full Version : Swans 2006 Captain

BayesysLeftBoot
26th September 2005, 06:51 PM
The issue seems to have flared up again and now that the season is over we have a bit more perspective on it so once again we go to the polls.

timthefish
26th September 2005, 07:01 PM
i can't really split kirk and hall. hall is a premiership captain so i voted for him as the successful incumbent, but kirk was an outstanding leader all finals series.

i think that goodes, bary, and bolton could each be successes in captaincy but aren't in the running due to the performances of the other two. not convinced on ben matthews. i've supported him as a integral battling member of the team, but i don't feel he has the long-term tenure of the others in the leadership group.

i think the position of captain is increasingly symbolic nowadays, although the captain still must be one of the true leaders of the club. occasionally there will be the emergence of truly dominant personalities such as carey's but i think strategies involving shared leadership have been shown to be very very successful.

sharpie
26th September 2005, 07:16 PM
the crowd was asked the same question at the scg yesterday. General consensus was Kirk ahead of Hall.

BayesysLeftBoot
26th September 2005, 07:27 PM
Well, looks like kirky by a mile. Any chance of another peoples choice as was the case with Roos over Wallace?

Dave
26th September 2005, 08:13 PM
I read talk of the rotational policy perhaps continuing so who knows what will happen.

Kirk would be my choice now though.

BonBon
26th September 2005, 08:51 PM
I have a feeling Barry will get it, but Kaptain Kirk all ze way.

Big Al
26th September 2005, 08:57 PM
I would prefer Kirky based on Baz's stupidity in the Prelim but I would not be upset about either choice.

Frog
26th September 2005, 09:15 PM
<<-------------- In one word ??? Brett Kirk ... that's two ... but them's committed words !!! Personifies "The Bloods" tag in my opinion and deserves the captaincy.

Edit : Hmmm ... my vote gave Kirk 31 - Should I post that in the "Omen" thread ? :D

swansrule100
26th September 2005, 09:31 PM
kirk is going to be a leader anyway as will Hall, goodes, b1 etc etc

doesnt make a lot of difference. The rotating captaincy works i guess, i just prefer to have one (tho co captains hall and kirk would be fine)

If we it means premierships are the result then co captains. But if i have to pick one its Hall. I love kirky, but Hall is the main man in the team and the best player and i dont think he has done anything wrong. From a public face point of view Hall is the logical choice as well. I think he likes the responsibility and he plays well with it!

Its a hard call though, glad i dont have to make it.

The Undertaker
26th September 2005, 09:33 PM
I'm kinda divided on picking one of those choices.

Kirky would get my vote but the rotating captaincy did work this year.

Then again,when Maxfield became injured,Roosy may have
just used that rotating captaincy as a ploy to see who was up to the job for 06.

Okeefe Ok
26th September 2005, 09:53 PM
Kirky has the leadership ability, it seems to come naturally to him and he is consistent, week in week out he keeps his composure and plays his game, as well has having plenty to give to the rest of the team.

Barry has the profile, and dont get me wrong, I love and respect the guy BUT ... he doesnt have the edge that makes a good captain ... if he's having a bad game then it really shows.

I've never seen Kirky have a bad game. Never seen him get into a fight through frustration with his game.

Sorry for comparing the two, its not really fair, but since the opinion poll shows they are the ones in the running, I think it comes down to who is better of the two.

swansrule100
26th September 2005, 09:56 PM
to me the best part is i honestly believe both would have no problem if the other is picked!

Vivien
26th September 2005, 10:03 PM
Kirk would be my choice. Before the finals series I was confident Hall was the best man to lead the side. However I think his behaviour in the PF indicated that he still has a little way to go before he can be considered a fully reformed character. He's amazing when in form, but he seems to lose his cool when things are not going so well (I noticed on Sat when he kept dropping marks he began to play for the free kicks and was whinging at the umps). But maybe the captaincy will bring out the best in him.
Who knows?

I just think Kirk sets such a great example of how the game should be played - always attacking the ball and never taking your place in the side for granted. He is just so consistent and level-headed.

Agent 86
26th September 2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BayseysLeftBoot
Well, looks like kirky by a mile. Any chance of another peoples choice as was the case with Roos over Wallace?

I like people's choice. The game's first popularly elected captain (at least by supporters).

Xie Shan
26th September 2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Agent 86
I like people's choice. The game's first popularly elected captain (at least by supporters).

Well, Roosy was the game's first popularly elected coach, and that didn't work out too badly, did it? ;)

anniswan
26th September 2005, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't mind the idea of co-captains, 3 of them, one up front, one in the middle, one up back.

my appointments would be

Hall
Kirk
Barry

If that doesn't happen then it has to be Kirk, he has proven that he is the one to get the players together and motivate them to win.

I just don't think that Hall has the capacity to be able to keep an eye on the whole game.

Frog
26th September 2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by anniswan
I wouldn't mind the idea of co-captains, 3 of them, one up front, one in the middle, one up back.

my appointments would be

Hall
Kirk
Barry

If that doesn't happen then it has to be Kirk, he has proven that he is the one to get the players together and motivate them to win.

I just don't think that Hall has the capacity to be able to keep an eye on the whole game.
How do we communicate this to the club ? I mean other than just e-mailing, but to someone that is going to take it seriously ... I know I e-mailed feverishly at the time of Roosy's appointment, and to this day, I still doubt any of it got anywhere near where I wanted it : The board !

swans05
26th September 2005, 10:59 PM
why change a winning combination keep rotating it as all players who were giving the chance all shined during this time and became better leaders

anniswan
26th September 2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Frog
How do we communicate this to the club ? I mean other than just e-mailing, but to someone that is going to take it seriously ... I know I e-mailed feverishly at the time of Roosy's appointment, and to this day, I still doubt any of it got anywhere near where I wanted it : The board !

It's not the board that appoints captains AFAIK, it's a combination of the coach and the match committee.

I have enough faith that given our result this year they will make the right decision. Paul Roos is the smartest coach in footy, he had the opportunity this year to do a trial of wannabees. I think he will fully evaluate the results etc and make a valued decision.

EMJ
26th September 2005, 11:21 PM
As most people ar split between Hall and Kirk why not co-captains - I think would be fantastic best of both worlds and thoughts.

treespirit
26th September 2005, 11:32 PM
Kirk. Hall blew it in the PF.

BonBon
26th September 2005, 11:47 PM
We could've won the Grand Final without Barry Hall.

phil casuarina
26th September 2005, 11:54 PM
I would like to see co captains

Hally & Kirky. This way we get to on field leaders, one inspires by action the other inspires by word.

Also we can say that we have the real Captain Kirk!

Casey36
27th September 2005, 12:02 AM
For me, its a toss up between Kirk & Hall.
Hall was a great cptain during the finals but then Kirk is such a leader, and has been with the Swans for a while.
So, it will be interesting to which who will get it.
But im sure whoever gets it, will do the best to fulifill there role as captain and will guide the team through everthing!:D

julie_l
27th September 2005, 02:46 PM

Agent 86
27th September 2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by BonBon
We coulda won it without ROK.

Sanecow
27th September 2005, 03:15 PM

There wouldn't have been a Swans Grand Final without Bazza.

bandwagon
27th September 2005, 03:29 PM
This rotating captaincy has really won me round...

but I still voted for Kirky.

NMWBloods
27th September 2005, 03:56 PM
Ah... no!!

punter257
27th September 2005, 04:22 PM
i reckon barry hall

only because i cant see the premiership captain getting the ass the year after

THERBS
27th September 2005, 05:28 PM
Definitely Kirk. he's Captain Blood all over again. Hall was good and is a leader but Kirk for captain! Jude would be the outsider coming home strong.