PDA

View Full Version : Good old koala ears at it again!

JF_Bay22_SCG
28th September 2005, 05:28 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to read the Telegraph again too. :rolleyes:

Read this drivel, EVERYONE!

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16741543-23214,00.html

JF

Sanecow
28th September 2005, 05:34 PM
While Michael O'Loughlin did a good job in general play, watching him try to kick a goal was like watching a man bleed to death on national television.

Ironically, that's what League actually is (apart from the national coverage part).

cruiser
28th September 2005, 05:34 PM
Oh how I hate Mike Gibson. There are times I almost wished that I lived in Melbourne so I didnt have to read the crap put out by these media stooges of the NRL.

Hey Gibbo, tell us how enjoyable it is to watch an NRL grand final that ends in a 0-0 draw?

Charlie
28th September 2005, 05:37 PM
Tackle tackle tackle tackle tackle KICK!

Tackle tackle tackle FORWARD PASS! We've got a scrum! Woohoo!

Such a riveting game.

Mike_B
28th September 2005, 05:37 PM
What's the bet the NRL paid the Terror plenty of money to get him to write an article like that to win back the minds of those who may be thinking about showing greater interest in AFL next year, especially with the NRL Grand Final this weekend.

All a load of propaganda. Goebbels would be proud.

Mike_B
28th September 2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Charlie

You call those things in League a scrum? It's not even a contest. It's a set play for the team that didn't make the error without forwards in the way.

Matt79
28th September 2005, 05:39 PM
Watching League is almost worse than watching painting dry... no on second thoughts anyone want to come and watch paint dry while the league grand final is on Sunday night?

Sanecow
28th September 2005, 05:40 PM
Sure, it was a thrilling AFL grand final ...
But that's where it ends.

Needs to practice his criticism. :rolleyes:

garethb83
28th September 2005, 05:40 PM
"Rugby league wingers - and fullbacks - are more accomplished at taking high marks than AFL players"

Hahaha what a load of crap!! The funniest thing i've read all day... the extent of their 'marks' are balls kicked pretty much directly up in the air...

Mike, thats gotta be a personal best!

hammo
28th September 2005, 05:42 PM
Seriously, it's about time Murdoch pensioned off Mike Gibson to the News Ltd retirement home.

He has lost all credibility - not that he had much left - with that article.

I am not sure what league game he was watching but if he thought 29-0 was a thrilling game of league then he should tender his resignation.

On the league game, his own paper reported "A mountain of mistakes marred the Parramatta performance, allowing North Queensland to set up a Grand Final showdown with Wests Tigers at Telstra Stadium next Sunday night."

The guy has no idea about Australian Football, how it's played, the skills and fitness required, let alone the pressure applied in the GF and the supurb atmosphere at the G.

Gibson strikes me as an old leaguey dinosaur in his last throes, bitter that Sydney has won an AFL flag, got TV ratings the NRL could only dream of, and will be honoured by a ticker tape parade on Friday.

OldE
28th September 2005, 05:42 PM
Historically, the Leaguies have ALWAYS bribed the journos. Even way back when. They used to have a club where journos could hang out, and money and booze flowed freely. Articles like this are a long-standing league tradition.

SimonH
28th September 2005, 05:43 PM
Don't encourage him, fellas. It's only by Gibbo periodically whipping up barely-thought-out 'controversy' that anyone remembers his name any more.

punter257
28th September 2005, 05:43 PM

Such a riveting game.

summed up my thoughts magnificently
what a ********house sport

Charlie
28th September 2005, 05:44 PM
Yes Punter, it is that repetitive! :D

edit: This post doesn't make any sense after Punter's edit. Oh well.

hammo
28th September 2005, 05:46 PM
Someone should pen a letter to the editor

D.H.
28th September 2005, 05:49 PM
Shocking article that one, he has to have been paid something extra for that, it is something that just shouldn?t be published. The points he was trying to make and his justifications were beyond bias? St George played their worst game of the season skill wise, and the game was nowhere near perfect in teams of rugby league skills, the Dragons probably made as many knock-ons as there were fumbles in the AFL GF.

Damien
28th September 2005, 05:50 PM
Perhaps he could mention how many "unknowns" League has - I can't actually remember the last time a League player had to back back into a pack of players, while keeping their eyes on the ball while having no idea what is coming at you from behind.

I am not anti-league but jesus - it would take me 2 seconds to write a more damning article on their game versus ours.

"Throw, throw, lazy defence = opening, put ball over line"

His article just proves that the possibility of the Sydney Swans becomming a a true superpower of the game is putting a lot of fear into the hearts of hardcore league followers.

NMWBloods
28th September 2005, 05:53 PM
As a spectacle of skills, there is no doubt in my view that the AFL has gone downhill. However, to compare it to NRL and say that it loses as a spectacle from a skill perspective is just ludicrous.

hammo
28th September 2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Damien

His article just proves that the possibility of the Sydney Swans becomming a a true superpower of the game is putting a lot of fear into the hearts of hardcore league followers.
Well said.

Mums in the suburbs would much prefer their kiddies to be playing AFL than league.

Sanecow
28th September 2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
As a spectacle of skills, there is no doubt in my view that the AFL has gone downhill.

Well looky who's a closet 'ugly football' critic!

giant
28th September 2005, 06:08 PM

Such a riveting game.

I prefer to describe league thusly:

My big bloke runs into your big bloke & falls over.

My next big bloke runs into your next big bloke falls over.

Repeat a further 3 times - on last occasion desperately kick it somewhere.

Could Gibbo be related to the Ox?

sharpie
28th September 2005, 06:09 PM
Footyhead must have changed his name to NMWBloods! :D

NMWBloods
28th September 2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Well looky who's a closet 'ugly football' critic!
Nothing 'closet' about it - I've espoused that view for a long time!

Dave
28th September 2005, 06:38 PM
Isn't Gibbo dead?

I could have sworn he died?

Oh, that's right sorry - I couldn't give a stuff IF he was dead!
I knew there was something about him and death. :cool:

Glenn
28th September 2005, 06:47 PM
As both a Rugby League supporter and AFL supporter, and someone who appreciates both codes, the comments of Mike Gibson are nothing but narrow minded blindness, like some on here except looking at AFL the same way Mike Gibson looks at league

The Undertaker
28th September 2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
As both a Rugby League supporter and AFL supporter, and someone who appreciates both codes, the comments of Mike Gibson are nothing but narrow minded blindness, like some on here except looking at AFL the same way Mike Gibson looks at league Here Here Glenn!

I agree mate!

I am both a rugby league and AFL supporter and i also appreciate both codes.I do not try to compare the both codes as its like comparing apples with oranges.

(Gee,i am coming up with the cliches now!I better get a job at the Liberal Party newspaper...whoops...sorry,i mean't to say the telegraph)

The only time Gibbo was remotely interesting was in the 80s with Wide World of Sports.

Now he a boring old fart.

NMWBloods
28th September 2005, 07:18 PM
I used to enjoy League when I was 8...

R-1
28th September 2005, 07:22 PM
Carn the Raiders!

Jeffers1984
28th September 2005, 07:28 PM
This wanker can go ******** a log.

Rob-bloods
28th September 2005, 07:39 PM
His writing, sporting assessments and objective reporting are on par with his hairdresser's skills.....

Norris Lurker
28th September 2005, 08:11 PM
Such a bitter old man. More to be pitied than despised.

Agent 86
28th September 2005, 08:46 PM

Such a riveting game.
Hang on, that sounds like the last few minutes at the G - apart from Leo's mark.

Destructive
28th September 2005, 08:49 PM
Actually being in Victoria for the weekend has made a difference to me. I would'nt have wanted to be anywhere else. The whole weekend was ace( with one exception but I'll not go into that) That article is pure drivel, enough said.

wyatt
28th September 2005, 09:21 PM
League is such a skilful game. I guess that's why so many punters go to watch it live!!!

Nico
28th September 2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Rob-bloods
His writing, sporting assessments and objective reporting are on par with his hairdresser's skills.....

Even John Howard has got rid of the comb over.

lachlanc
28th September 2005, 10:05 PM
League is such crap that they even hired Troy Luff to tell them how to kick.

connolly
28th September 2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Well said.

Mums in the suburbs would much prefer their kiddies to be playing AFL than league.

And after the Dogs scandal to have their daughters following AFL

Whitefox
28th September 2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by jimmyconnolly
And after the Dogs scandal to have their daughters following AFL

Selective memory loss?

GoSouth33
28th September 2005, 10:48 PM
I didn't think it was a contest between the two sports. I've recently been listening to the evening sports programme on 2UE, and they've had increased AFL coverage no doubt because of how the Swans have been travelling and all the BBBBH publicity. Greg "Brandy" Alexander, a former Penrith rugby league player of some repute, has acknowledged on this programme that Aussie Rules has its attractions and recognises that in a city of this size there's room for all.
What that dinosaur Gibbo needs to realise is that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I just look at articles like his with great disdain....the public will judge in the long run, not him, his opinion counts for nothing.
When you read crap like that, you realise it's just a pathetic attempt to fight a rearguard action when you realise the tide might be turning. It's a bit like a SUPERNOVA. A supernova if you didn't know is a star in its death throes. It undergoes a dramatic increase in size and intensity (a la Gibson's bluff, bluster and bull@@@@@) before finally collapsing. Haha you dope.
AARRGGGHHH, I need a stiff drink.

Chubby Muffler
29th September 2005, 12:21 AM
Gibson writes for the Tele, despite jumping on the bandwagon of support for the last two weeks, the Telegraph do not really give a stuff about AFL in NSW. It is a threat to their "product" - league. Gibson wrote a ridiculous article last week going on about Sth Melbourne supporters trying to "hi-jack" the Sydney Swans and that the team had nothing to really do with them anymore.

This really displayed his ignorance of the Swans and the club's supporters and history. I had the day of my life last Saturday, I flew down at 9am and watched the game live at the MCG. Chatting to the people around me I quicly learnt just how many Bloods were sitting in the crowd and what the team and game meant to them. I am Sydney born and bred, I love this city. However I respect any fan who's team is uprooted to another state but keeps supporting and following the team. I felt a bond to Melbourne and the Swan supporters on the weekend.

Gibson is just trolling essentially, he wants his game to thrive in NSW and is scared of any kind of competition. He just looks an old fool with articles like this.

JF_Bay22_SCG
29th September 2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Chubby Muffler
I had the day of my life last Saturday, I flew down at 9am and watched the game live at the MCG. Chatting to the people around me I quicly learnt just how many Bloods were sitting in the crowd and what the team and game meant to them. I am Sydney born and bred, I love this city. However I respect any fan who's team is uprooted to another state but keeps supporting and following the team. I felt a bond to Melbourne and the Swan supporters on the weekend.

Wonderfully put mate.

Why do you think I go down there every 2nd week to be with them? I'll make it know that the South Melbourne followers of the Swans are the BEST and MOST LOYAL Swans fans on this planet.

Yes, there has been a bandwagon since we have started winning.
But hey bandwagoners down south actually tend to know the rules. And also tend to not spend match talking about how horrible their day at work was etc etc

There IS a bond these days between our two supporter groups. We sing the traditional South song, they chant "Sydney". We are one and the same. The only difference is our upbringing, and location.

Not that Mike Gibson would have any understand of this. As I bet he has never actually been to a game live.

TIME TO RETIRE OLD KOALA-EARS!

JF

connolly
29th September 2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Whitefox
Selective memory loss?

I was talking about Sydney not the environs of st kilda

Roscoe
29th September 2005, 08:41 AM
Gibson is just a pathetic gutter snipe and sewer rat.

That other News Ltd tool Ray Chesterton is no better

In the words of Mr K. R. Murdoch

"journalists only fill in the space between the photo's and the ads"

These pair of Di*k chewing nobjockeys should P*ss off to the retirement home

Wardy
29th September 2005, 09:17 AM
But what you all forget is that News Ltd own the NRL - they are also the offical owners of the Melbourne Storm.

We place all their insurances for them under the News Limited banner - so League will always get more coverage.

goswannie14
11th October 2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Damien

I think that this sums it up perfectly.

Two other points

Gibbo makes Carolyn Wilson look like a journalist

I can hear the chant at the MCG now "Gibbo's a wanker..clap clap clap clap clap" etc etc

big bear
11th October 2005, 06:39 PM
I have given the advice to ignore these ********wits before. Gibson is an apologist for Rugby League, as is Chesterton and Masters. They will never put things in perspective as their game will always lose. Ignore the bollocks and save yourself the heartburn caused by reading these washed up yesterdays men. They write and think rubbish. We love our game and team and should by revelling in our success and not be diverted. If we do these twits win.,

woo
11th October 2005, 06:55 PM
Guys I am league supporter but first and formost a swanie (sorry go the chooks) anyways this article once again makes me ashamed to admit that side of me that likes league....shame gibson....open your eyes to the bigger and better game...I certainly have and there is room in your life for both sports....

lachlanc
11th October 2005, 07:27 PM
the way they flop over the line in League is pathetic - is that any way to score?

and as i mentioned their kicking is so bad Manly even called in Troy Luff to help them. I spoke to him about it and even he thought that was a joke.

Growing in up Adelaide i was about 15 before i even knew rugby existed as a sport. I wish I had stayed ignorant.

Anyway, what's so great about League when they can only half fill the stadium? It's like going to watch the SANFL, and yet they call it a "national" competition.

AFL is the future!

(apologies to any league fans but i really do think their code sucks)

Tuesday
11th October 2005, 08:06 PM
Hack. Has been for years, and half of Sydney has known that from birth. I am not at all surprised by that article. I take anything published in the Tele with a grain of salt.

swansrule100
11th October 2005, 08:12 PM
doesnt a five page thread mean his articles are popular? even if its for how @@@@@@ they are?

Tuesday
11th October 2005, 08:27 PM
It would appear so.

Bas
11th October 2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
doesnt a five page thread mean his articles are popular? even if its for how @@@@@@ they are?

There's no footy news to discuss.

goswannie14
12th October 2005, 08:30 AM
I don't think that "popular" is the way to describe it. After all Matt Maguire gets mentioned here from time to time and he's not popular with any of us.;)

swansrule100
12th October 2005, 12:10 PM
i just mean stop reading his stupid articles so he gets the sack!

goswannie14
12th October 2005, 12:13 PM
i just mean stop reading his stupid articles so he gets the sack!
Now that is a good idea...hold on...this is the only article I have read of his:o