PDA

View Full Version : DVD - Anyone bought or seen it?

TheHood
29th September 2005, 01:07 PM
Before I buy, I just want to make sure it's got more emotion to it than the factual account of the 2003 season DVD.

Looking for recommendations here??

desredandwhite
29th September 2005, 01:21 PM
I was going to wait for a version with the radio commentaries.. But as usual, I have no willpower, and so stopped by at JB Hi Fi yesterday to grab a copy. Unfortunately I somehow managed to find 3 CDs and a DVD box set that I also had to have in the short walk between picking up the GF DVD and getting to the counter, so it was something of an expensive 10 minutes...

The DVD contains the complete game sans ads, a tiny bit of the pre-game, and edited highlights of the post-match (has the full medal presentation though). Split over a dual-layer disc, the bitrate is pretty good - video looks fantastic, with hardly a compression artefact to be seen. Looks as good as the Channel Ten digital feed, I'd say. Picture is 16:9 enhanced, and I reckon is about 1.7:1 (cropped slightly on the sides - people viewing on computer monitors or projectors might see it, but no difference for most people)

Audio is also great, though as usual has the commentators up too loud. There is an alternate audio track with just the sound effects mics, but there is a weird problem with most of the 4th quarter and presentations - there is music playing in the background. I reckon the person who edited the DVD had a sound track in the editor, but forgot to mute it when doing their final render to disc.

Each quarter has its own chapter stop, as does the pre-match and post-match. A nice touch is that Leo Barry's mark gets its own chapter ;)

I will probably get the updated DVD with all commentaries if they release one (hopefully fixing the audio bug described above while they are at it), and this copy can be a gift for someone :)

TheHood
29th September 2005, 01:48 PM
Great feedback Des, thanks!

I am hoping for an edited account of the entire season climaxing in the Grannie at some stage. The early season criticism makes for great drama to eventual Premiers!

woo
29th September 2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
Great feedback Des, thanks!

I am hoping for an edited account of the entire season climaxing in the Grannie at some stage. The early season criticism makes for great drama to eventual Premiers!

same here, I am hanging out to go round by round on dvd ....and then a stop at each finals game (will fast forward the west coast first final because it still gets my blood boiling)
:o