PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 things about being premier.

barry
30th September 2005, 10:45 AM
1. The phrase "1933" doesnt make me shirty anymore.
2. We've won exactly the same number of flags as North post-1996
3. We've now won away finals in Adelaide, Perth*, and most importantly Melbourne. (No other team has a 2 or even 3 away record I think)
4. Proven to the AFL and other clubs that the 1 million TV viewers in 1996 wasnt a fluke.
5. Overtaken NRL grand final week.

Go Swans.

NMWBloods
30th September 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by barry
1. The phrase "1933" doesnt make me shirty anymore. Yeah - know that feeling.

2. We've won exactly the same number of flags as North post-1996
And same number in total - 4.

3. We've now won away finals in Adelaide, Perth*, and most importantly Melbourne. (No other team has a 2 or even 3 away record I think)
Brisbane has won in Sydney and Melbourne.

Adelaide has also won in Sydney and Melbourne.

I also like that I can enjoy the entire season, no matter what game I'm watching because I know that we won!

I also like this! (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/allteams/seasons.html)

bandwagon
30th September 2005, 11:26 AM
There is also now a definitive answer to which club did best out of the 'super-draft' of 2001.... That draft has only produced 2 premiership players - LRT & Schneider.

(ps. I could be wrong - but it sounds good!)

Plugger46
30th September 2005, 11:39 AM
It's still frightening seeing; Premier: Sydney. Loving every minute of it.

GO BLOODS!

punter257
1st October 2005, 05:13 AM
yeah totally agree with all the above

the thing i just love at the moment is being acknowledged by various people that know you're a supporter and have been there through thick and thin. they are genuinely happy for me that i have tasted some success

i'm also grateful that we finally got the holy grail as i thought that we'd probably never do it my lifetime. every year i got so damn jealous of seeing the premiership teams supporters so bloody happy whilst I was rapt with making the finals and having a few awesome wins along the way

how the tide has turned and i'm loving every minute of this and i'll be talking about it for a long time

roll on 06 - i want more!

Frog
1st October 2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by punter257
Posted: 1st October 2005 04:13 AM
Mate, the season will be here in no time - No need to wait up for it ... Have a sleep ... ;)

ScottH
1st October 2005, 05:50 PM
Looking at the DVD list of GF and actually seeing the "Swans 2005"

Schneiderman
1st October 2005, 11:01 PM
Any time they put up the ending ladder in a news article or a post on a forum, and you see Sydney at the very top or with the special '#1' next to it :D

Tuesday
2nd October 2005, 12:14 AM
:o Here we go again.
Now, Barry sweetheart, do you mean Premier or premiers?:o

C-Train
2nd October 2005, 12:19 AM
The title could be Bob Carrs Autobiography! hehe:D

Xie Shan
2nd October 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Tuesday
do you mean Premier or premiers?:o

I was waiting for someone else to notice that!

Another important thing:

It is also a major relief knowing that our last flag was no longer in the same year Hitler came to power in Germany. No matter how old you are or how long you've followed a team, once you start you adopt everything about it, including the history. Glad to set aside that bleak statistic of not having won a flag since 1933.

Reggi
15th October 2005, 11:34 AM
To answer this after a few weeks is easy.

We won't have another generation of top players who leave the game without a Premiership with us.

I always feel sorry for the likes of Gerard Healy, on the start of on the Couch with "3 times B & F Winner" or Brownlow Medalist.

Foerever when Barry Hall goes on TV they will have to choose

Two time Sydney B & F winner
Premiership Captain
Premiership Player
Or the guy that gave the Coleman Medal away in round 22 2005 because he thought 'team' and winning the Premiership was more important than individual honours.

Hopefully manmy of these Premiership players will go on to play 200 Games

Dooloo
15th October 2005, 01:27 PM
Getting used to saying 1909, 1918 1933 AND 2005.

Gotta Luv that.

Also seeing the look of satisfaction on the old boys face, 72 years of age, and this is his 1st premiership. and he's loving every minute of it.

woo
15th October 2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by SwanSong
The title could be Bob Carrs Autobiography! hehe:D

nice story about bob carr I might share with you guys, on the flight back after the grand final in 96 dad and myself (and also my bro but we wont include him cause hes a north supporter so he can get....:) ) anyways we were all kinda down in the dumps and my dad who had photocopies of the swans song at the time for a lunchion we had been to during the day handed the words out to everyone on the flight and we started singing, seconds in to the song bob Carr comes walking out from business class and sings along with us, 2 secs later so does bob hawke....and just quiety they didn't need to the words to sing and they sung with a gusto...both bob's had clearly had a few!

if I ever meet those guys again I would thank them for putting a smile on my fathers and my faces!

goswannie14
15th October 2005, 11:00 PM
Hawkey has been a long time Swans supporter...remember seeing him at at least one game when I was in the cheersquad in 78-80. So he shouldn't have needed the words:D

Can't vouch for Bob Carr though:p

Nico
16th October 2005, 09:28 PM
What I like is being able to tip my Swans cap at Saints supporters followed by the words, "we have bragging rights for the next 12 months". The filthy looks are worth their weight in gold.

Matt79
16th October 2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by punter257
yeah totally agree with all the above

the thing i just love at the moment is being acknowledged by various people that know you're a supporter and have been there through thick and thin. they are genuinely happy for me that i have tasted some success

Totally agree with your above comment. So many friends, work collegues said that they watched the Grand Final for the simple fact that they knew me, a mad, passionate and devoted Swans fan was at the Grand Final cheering my team on!

This is a dream come true! Great to share it with all these like minded people on RWO!!

I also like that no one can turn around at games and say to Swan's supporters anymore..."When was the last time you won a premiership?!?!?" :D

goswannie14
17th October 2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Nico
What I like is being able to tip my Swans cap at Saints supporters followed by the words, "we have bragging rights for the next 12 months". The filthy looks are worth their weight in gold.
I had a bank teller paying me out the day of the PF, she was a Stkilda moron. Next time I go to that bank I'll be wearing th Premiers t-shirt and members cap:D

Thunder Shaker
17th October 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
I also like that no one can turn around at games and say to Swan's supporters anymore..."When was the last time you won a premiership?!?!?" :D
I believe this is by far the best part. It's not just us that have to adjust to a recent Swans premiership. Supporters of other clubs have to come to terms with the loss of bragging rights over Swans fans. No longer are we at the bottom of the premiership pecking order but at the top. No longer will Swans fans have to hear the put down, "When did the Swans last win a premiership?" Now we can ask the hard questions instead of answering them.

The revolution is GOOD! Long live the revolution!

goswannie14
17th October 2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker

The revolution is GOOD! Long live the revolution!

Viva the revolution!!!!:D

Mel_C
17th October 2005, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately a premiership has not shut up the saints supporters at my work. I still get the whole "The AFL gave it to you" rubbish. Last week I even got told that the AFL assisted us because when Lockett played for St Kilda and was reported he always got suspended, however when he played for us he never got suspended blah blah blah. And of cause he had to bring up the Hall incident.

I just told them that they must be right because the AFL helped us win all those games this year by kicking goals and stopping the opposition on our behalf. :D

And then I showed them all the Swans posters I have up around my desk including the one of the team with the cup :).

They then quickly went silent!

goswannie14
17th October 2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Mel_C
Unfortunately a premiership has not shut up the saints supporters at my work. I still get the whole "The AFL gave it to you" rubbish. Last week I even got told that the AFL assisted us because when Lockett played for St Kilda and was reported he always got suspended, however when he played for us he never got suspended blah blah blah. And of cause he had to bring up the Hall incident.

I just told them that they must be right because the AFL helped us win all those games this year by kicking goals and stopping the opposition on our behalf. :D

And then I showed them all the Swans posters I have up around my desk including the one of the team with the cup :).

Don't you understand...it's a conspiracy against St Kilda...they always pick on us...blah blah blah...who cares...We won.

Ask them why the guy (can't remember his name) who punched Goodes wasn't even reported??????? that might also help to shup them up...but I doubt it, because it's a conspiracy against them:p

Big Al
17th October 2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Mel_C

Plane Trip to Melbourne $200
Ticket to Prelim Final $70
Watching whinging Saints supporters skulking out of the G 20 minutes into the last Qtr $PRICELESS

:D

BonBon
17th October 2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by barry
1. The phrase "1933" doesnt make me shirty anymore.
Any explanation as to why you felt "shirty"?

ScottH
18th October 2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by BonBon
Any explanation as to why you felt "shirty"? :confused: 72 years!!!

goswannie14
18th October 2005, 08:43 AM
Didn't think it needed explanation:confused:

BonBon
18th October 2005, 11:16 AM
Eugh.. I think the point I was trying to get across was.. Umm.. Let's just say, what kind of feeling is "shirty"?

Thunder Shaker
18th October 2005, 11:28 AM
Eugh.. I think the point I was trying to get across was.. Umm.. Let's just say, what kind of feeling is "shirty"?
I suppose it's becuase it has a lot of buttons that can be pushed to get you aggravated.

goswannie14
18th October 2005, 12:25 PM
Its almost as bad as ********ty but not quite;)

BonBon
18th October 2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Its almost as bad as ********ty but not quite;)
It's just a 't' away.

goswannie14
18th October 2005, 06:31 PM
It's just a 't' away.
T for ticked off
This is post number 300, not quite as impressive as Sanecow though...congratulations.;)

Grant
18th October 2005, 10:10 PM
Another good thing will be for the next 11 months we will be referred to by journos and commentators etc as the 'reigning premiers,the sydney swans' will bkeep bringing a smile to my face.

And being able to wear my premiers t-shirts or my members hat around all the time now,and getting everyone saying you still wearing that...,arent you over it yet...,it was a month ago now give it a rest...,and my response to these richmond,collingwood,st kilda supporters is 'When was the last time you won one? which is what i have copped from them all my life.

Oh how good it is to have the tables turned,and have my turn in the sun:D

Sorry,had to get that off my chest:)

ScottH
18th October 2005, 10:12 PM
Playing in a GRAND FINAL REMATCH!!

airpoe
19th October 2005, 12:33 AM
Here are mine.

1. Any other fans(collingwood) saying that we won cos of extra cap or conessions or it was fixed their is one reply.

"they are just jealous"

(Taken from Brisbane fans who always are targets of Collingwood.)

2. Leading up to the PF, All the Saints fans (some my friends, who said it to me) who complain that they can't get grand final tickets, we hoped they eventually got the tickets and enjoyed the swans win.

3. Well Andrew Demintriu can get stuffed.

4. when ever i feel down, i just wack in a SF, PF or GF to recharge

goswannie14
19th October 2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Grant
Another good thing will be for the next 11 months we will be referred to by journos and commentators etc as the 'reigning premiers,the sydney swans' will bkeep bringing a smile to my face.

And being able to wear my premiers t-shirts or my members hat around all the time now,and getting everyone saying you still wearing that...,arent you over it yet...,it was a month ago now give it a rest...,and my response to these richmond,collingwood,st kilda supporters is 'When was the last time you won one? which is what i have copped from them all my life.

Oh how good it is to have the tables turned,and have my turn in the sun:D

Sorry,had to get that off my chest:)

Don't apologise for getting it off your chest, I think there are many of us who feel exactly the same.

I have set a goal that until the next GF I will wear something"Swans" for at least part of every day until then. So far going well!!!!:D ;)

Thunder Shaker
19th October 2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by airpoe
3. Well Andrew Demintriu can get stuffed.
I prefer to thank him for the motivation.

peterh_oz
19th October 2005, 06:30 PM

Anyone remember Shirty, The Slightly Agressive Bear?

The Undertaker
19th October 2005, 08:38 PM
1.The drought is FINALLY BROKEN!
2.Paul Roos has finally finished a season with a premiership winning team as a coach/player.
3.We bloody deserve it!
4.It pisses off a lot of cynics within some Melbourne clubs!
5.As supporters,its something we can all be proud of.

airpoe
19th October 2005, 10:13 PM
Also seeing Delta Goodrem doing fist pumps after the GF!

All i can say Silvie Palidino, go and get stuffed! or back to ur lion king suit!

Refried Noodle
19th October 2005, 10:29 PM

All i can say Silvie Palidino, go and get stuffed! or back to ur lion king suit!

Uhh...

everyones entitled to thier opinion I suppose. :rolleyes:

goswannie14
19th October 2005, 10:31 PM

That's a little uncalled for. Silvie has a wonderful voice. Anyway, Delta couldn't sing the national anthem...she only sings songs about herself, hence she sand "I am ...Australian";)

Pommie Swannie
19th October 2005, 11:07 PM
1. the weagles fan who sits opposite me at work being unable to look me in the eye since the magic day (the bloody great poster behind me probably doesn't help)!!!

I would have been easy on him, had it not been for his constant chat about how the Swans stood no chance against the 'mighty' weagles!!

Refried Noodle
26th October 2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by peterh_oz
Anyone remember Shirty, The Slightly Agressive Bear?

Do I?! AKA "Rus - the slightly agressive Aussie"

its TRUE!

Thunder Shaker
26th October 2005, 04:59 PM
Some more good things about being premier.

Lewis Roberts-Thomson, premiership player.
Nic Fosdike, premiership player.
Ben Mathews, premiership player.

These three players have two things in common - all were maligned a lot on RWO, and all had good games in our premiership-winning Grand Final.

Go Swannies
26th October 2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
Some more good things about being premier.

Lewis Roberts-Thomson, premiership player.
Nic Fosdike, premiership player.
Ben Mathews, premiership player.

These three players have two things in common - all were maligned a lot on RWO, and all had good games in our premiership-winning Grand Final.

Last night I was watching the DVD of the 2003 highlights. It had passages of play featuring all three of these players doing very skillful things. And I realised how much the negativity here had affected the way I viewed them over the past few seasons. All three of them lifted for the big event (and I bet the Eagles wished some of their players had) but it was from a pretty good level of AFL football.

Lucky Knickers
27th October 2005, 04:00 PM
I found a new thing......I was watching FFC last night (2004 game vs Melb) and getting a little frustrated at Barry's kicking and then I remembered.....He's PREMIERSHIP PLAYER oh my god - we WON THE GRAND FINAL!

ScottH
8th November 2005, 06:35 AM
I find it quite enjoyable, getting past cars that have "St Kilda '05" stickers on their cars and putting the "Keeping the dream alive in 2005" in their face!!!!

:cool: