PDA

View Full Version : Memberships 2006

CureTheSane
30th September 2005, 03:13 PM
What do you think will happen?

I can see a lot of members not bothering next year given that we've finally done it.
Especially Melbourne based members.

In fact in Melb I would expect to see the supporter base at games diminish a bit.

Just something I would hope the club has time to think over and plan out.
I would hate to see them lose too many members and instead exploit the premiership into retaining as many current members as possible while handling the 'bandwagon' members.

Frog
30th September 2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Little, other than a slight increase in membership levels

I can see a lot of members not bothering next year given that we've finally done it.

In fact in Melb I would expect to see the supporter base at games diminish a bit.
Only because people are so happy now, and have waited too long, and feel they can now die happy.

I would hate to see them lose too many members and instead exploit the premiership into retaining as many current members as possible while handling the 'bandwagon' members.
I think Tony and the Melbourne staff do a terrific job and I'm sure they will pull out all stops to firstly maintain and secondly increase Melbourne Membership levels.

barry
30th September 2005, 03:27 PM
Based on the momentum of the Swans win in Sydney, I'd be getting my membership nice and early. Its definately going to be capped this year.

Frog
30th September 2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by barry
Based on the momentum of the Swans win in Sydney, I'd be getting my membership nice and early. Its definately going to be capped this year.
30,000 at the parade ??? You could be right

ItsAllGoodes
30th September 2005, 03:40 PM
You obviously dont know the passion associated with melbourne based supporters...or maybe dont share the passion as much....most will continue being members, many will upgrade their memberships, plus I think we will have more melbourne games, which all adds up to more members

I will admit that there is a need to act soon if the club wants to ride the wave to get a significant increase in members, with some creative packages that suit families etc

e.g. one of our member games is the essendon game at telstra dome - all the membership gets you is entry to the game, but you have to book seats - the combination can put this out of the reach of families

Frog
30th September 2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by ItsAllGoodes
e.g. one of our member games is the essendon game at telstra dome - all the membership gets you is entry to the game, but you have to book seats - the combination can put this out of the reach of families
Yes, I have a membership (family) but have to take out a family and 2 adults next year ... there's 2 extra already ... No, I didn't go to the Essendon game BECAUSE of the booking (At least we didn't have to pay, Geelong supporters a week earlier did have to pay) ... And again, I will not go to Telstra Dome this year if I have to book a seat ... Time for the league to remove that favourite child status from the Essendon shoulders (tongue firmly in cheek) ... ;)

BayesysLeftBoot
30th September 2005, 06:12 PM
I can't see the melbourne numbers dropping next year. Most people who signed up at the start of the season probably didn't expect a premiership and will only be even more keen to stay on board next year. I also think that anyone who missed out on a ticket to the GF due to not having a membership may think twice when it comes to purchasing one next year.

Personally, I've decided to upgrade to an AFL membership next year.

R-1
30th September 2005, 06:13 PM
I didn't have a membership this year becuase I started the year living in Nowra, not Sydney.

So that's one more member, assuming I can afford it after textbooks and student fees.

anniswan
30th September 2005, 06:44 PM
I just hope they wait a while to send them out,

I AM BROKE!

cowcar
30th September 2005, 09:37 PM
If anything, the Melbourne Swans Membership will increase this year! There are at least 10 thousand swans fans in melbourne who game to melbourne games when they are here (more if you include fair weathers , whihc would be close to 20 thousand). People missing out on GF tickets, will be a spur to drive the membership this year. I predict, that based on this years numbers (6500), the Melbourne Membership will be close to 8500 this coming year. The question is, will the Sydney Membership increase (from 25000) to? Maybe 30000 ? Hopefully more!

goswannie14
30th September 2005, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ItsAllGoodes
[B]You obviously dont know the passion associated with melbourne based supporters...or maybe dont share the passion as much....most will continue being members, many will upgrade their memberships,

My wife and I were able to get to games this year so we got the cheapest membership...next year we are upgrading. When we bought our GF tickets, because of the basic membership, we were last in the queue for tickets. We had standing room, which was not very suitable when my wife is 6 mths pregnant. However, when AFL tickets were released at the last minute we got seats...in the back row of the southern stand!!!

No she didn't have the baby in all the excitement...but dshe won't let me call the baby Luke Ablett if its a boy!!!

dimelb
1st October 2005, 02:37 PM
Promo jingle:
We'll get our kicks
In 2006 (that's twenty-oh-six).
Someone should set it to music - catchy!

sydneyswans1989
1st October 2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane

Your very wrong on alot of terms there, memberships will increase next year.

satchmopugdog
1st October 2005, 05:28 PM
I am going to upgrade my Melbourne membership and do what Simon from Oatlands did and book flights (but only to Melbourne )as soon as the draw comes out.

Xie Shan
1st October 2005, 05:40 PM
I'm going to renew my membership even though I'm going to be away for the first half of the season (of course if I wasn't going anywhere it'd be a no-brainer) - I have a feeling we will be there again on the last weekend in September in 2006!

Besides, I have no intention of missing any home games when I come back to Sydney :)

CureTheSane
1st October 2005, 05:41 PM
Your very wrong

Not gonna touch that one :)

It's easy to sit back and say "the Swans won the flag - memberships will double!" but I've heard a lot of Swans members saying that their dreams are fulfilled and they can 'die happy' etc.

Simply better to be on top of it all and try to maintain some control of our membership base while we are very promotable.

DST
1st October 2005, 05:49 PM
Don't foget that membership in Sydney is capped at around 26,500 (due to the SCG size) so dreams of 30,000 + members in Sydney alone will only be acheived if we play all our home games at Telstra Stadium. Which is not likely at this stage.

So based on that, I reckon the following:

Sydney Members = 26,500
Melbourne Members = 8,500

Total = 35,000

Which will smash our previous record of 31,000 odd in 1999.

DST
:D

jermaink
1st October 2005, 06:23 PM
I reckon that the Melbourne based membership will increase. I think that there are a lot of previously unconvinced South Melbourne supporters that may actually bother to get membership.