PDA

View Full Version : 2006 fixture

Go Swannies
4th October 2005, 03:40 PM
It has been posted by the Hawks at:

http://hawthornfc.com.au/cp2/c2/webi/article/233089aw.pdf

However, I thought premiers had a home game in the first round so they can unfurl the flag? It looks like that will have to happen in R2 at the SCG v Port - especially as the flag has already been unfurled in Melbourne this past weekend.

BayesysLeftBoot
4th October 2005, 03:46 PM
That's the best draw he have had in years! Awesome!

Sanecow
4th October 2005, 03:47 PM
Only one trip west? A crappy draw for WA Swans fans (good for Sydney though).

Jeffers1984
4th October 2005, 03:48 PM
hmmm some things:

- We play Geelong at Telstra Stadium (Looks like Essendon have been bumped). Brisbane and Collingwood stays.
- We get 4 home games in a row

ugg
4th October 2005, 03:49 PM
Weird draw, rounds 6-10 are all away games (but includes the Bulldogs SCG game) and then rounds 11-14 are home games.

Sanecow
4th October 2005, 03:51 PM
Two home games to finish, Brisbane and Carlton - hope they continue their 2005 form for a soft run home.

Xie Shan
4th October 2005, 03:52 PM
Also no Grand Final rematch until Round 15 - and it's at Subiaco!
Surprised - thought we'd play them twice again in 2006 given the rivalry that developed this year.

punter257
4th October 2005, 03:52 PM
cheers thanks for that

not a bad draw at all for the swannies

Jeffers1984
4th October 2005, 03:53 PM
I wish we got the home game in rd 1 to unfurl the flag. It would of gotten huge momentum in the media if that were the case.

Mike_B
4th October 2005, 03:53 PM
Interesting that the Telstra games are v Geelong, Collingwood and Brisbane according to that document.

Away games are:
5 in Melbourne
1 in Geelong
1 in Perth
1 in Adelaide
1 in Canberra
1 in Brisbane
1 in Sydney (WB game).

Xie Shan
4th October 2005, 03:56 PM
Now I just hope the Melbourne RWOers don't start complaining about only getting 5 games (not counting Geelong) - they got 8 this year! :eek:

Would have only been 7 if not for Umpire McInerney ;)

Go Swannies
4th October 2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Interesting that the Telstra games are v Geelong, Collingwood and Brisbane according to that document.

Away games are:
5 in Melbourne
1 in Geelong
1 in Perth
1 in Adelaide
1 in Canberra
1 in Brisbane
1 in Sydney (WB game).

Then hopefully two home finals and one away Grand Final.

BayesysLeftBoot
4th October 2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by sydfan83
Now I just hope the Melbourne RWOers don't start complaining about only getting 5 games (not counting Geelong) - they got 8 this year! :eek:

Would have only been 7 if not for Umpire McInerney ;) No complaints, but the 8 this year included 2 finals. Any less than 6 games in Victoria is unacceptable so good result I guess.

desredandwhite
4th October 2005, 03:59 PM
6 games in Victoria - 4 of them in the first half of the season.
1 at Kardinia Park (party at Cher's place, remember)
3 at Telstra Dome
2 at the MCG

3 at Telstra Stadium
9 at the SCG

1 at the Gabba
1 at Subi
1 at Manuka
1 at AAMI Stadium

Great draw IMO.

punter257
4th October 2005, 04:13 PM
poor freo have to travel to tassie twice in the first 5 rounds, thats the definition of shafted

13/22 night games for us

hammo
4th October 2005, 04:19 PM
Our best draw in years.

Interesting that Essendon has been "relegated" to SCG and replaced at Telstra by Geelong. Would have thought Essendon attracts a bigger crowd.

St Kilda at Telstra would have been a more appropriate blockbuster IMO.

Young Blood
4th October 2005, 04:19 PM
So we've got the following twice:
Carlton
Port
Essendon
Melbourne
Geelong
Brisbane (as always)
Richmond

Probably no more than 4 finalists there, so not too bad.

Other away games against
Hawthorn
Roos (as always)
WCE

All in all, it looks like there are only two games that are going to be really really tough to win - away against WCE and the Cats. (easy to say 6-9 months out, I know).

garethb83
4th October 2005, 04:22 PM
Hmmm the game against the Roos is on Sunday at Manuka this year, is much better on a Saturday i say for us Sydney people making the trek down there...

Other than that, no complaints, we get to play the Lions up there, always good! We tend to do well there...

BayesysLeftBoot
4th October 2005, 04:29 PM
One of the only things that really p***es me off is that both the bulldogs and kangaroos automaticly get a home game against us every year. Even though I'm against teams being allowed to change their venues it's something I can deal with, however they shouldn't be given home games every year just so they can do this.

Norris Lurker
4th October 2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Interesting that Essendon has been "relegated" to SCG and replaced at Telstra by Geelong. Would have thought Essendon attracts a bigger crowd. Can't say I'm particularly surprised. The Essendon game this year only got 30,000 - that was the weekend immediately after Demetriou's gaffe, which killed off a lot of the crowd. The Marn Grook game at the SCG could well sell out.
First 2 games in Sydney are both Sunday games, but then there's only 1 more before the last round. Great to have some more Saturday night games next year, there weren't many of them this year.

BayesysLeftBoot
4th October 2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
Can't say I'm particularly surprised. The Essendon game this year only got 30,000 - that was the weekend immediately after Demetriou's gaffe, which killed off a lot of the crowd. The Marn Grook game at the SCG could well sell out.
First 2 games in Sydney are both Sunday games, but then there's only 1 more before the last round. Great to have some more Saturday night games next year, there weren't many of them this year. Probably a decision made after the Geelong final where a lot of cats fans travelled up for the match and also maybe a bit of rivalry generated because of the result.

big bear
4th October 2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Our best draw in years.

Interesting that Essendon has been "relegated" to SCG and replaced at Telstra by Geelong. Would have thought Essendon attracts a bigger crowd.

St Kilda at Telstra would have been a more appropriate blockbuster IMO.

Some of our biggest crowds have been against Geelong

Ryan Bomford
4th October 2005, 04:40 PM
Only 4 SCG Sunday arvo games:frown

BarneyG
4th October 2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
Only 4 SCG Sunday arvo games:frown

AFL has stated that the TV ratings are better for the Swans on Saturday night than sunday arvo, I hate it how TV comes before the supporters.

Dr Worm
4th October 2005, 04:56 PM
I might get a membership for next year. lots of Saturday night games is a good thing for footy in Sydney. in th past i couldn't justify the cost with so many Sunday afternoon games, work and other commitments would have kept me away.

Bart
4th October 2005, 05:01 PM
Round 1
Saturday, 1st April Essendon vs. Sydney Telstra Dome (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 2
Sunday, 9th April Sydney vs. Port Adelaide S.C.G. (Early Start) 1:10 PM
Round 3 (Easter)
Saturday, 15th April Carlton vs. Sydney Telstra Dome (Night) 7:10 PM 7:10 PM
Round 4 (Anzac)
Sunday, 23rd April Sydney vs. Melbourne S.C.G. (Early Start) 1:10 PM
Round 5
Saturday, 29th April Sydney vs. Geelong Telstra Stadium (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 6
Sunday, 7th May Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney Gabba (Early Start) 1:10 PM
Round 7 (Mothers Day)
Saturday, 13th May Richmond vs. Sydney Telstra Dome 2:10 PM
Round 8
Saturday, 20th May Western Bulldogs vs. Sydney S.C.G. (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 9
Saturday, 27th May Hawthorn vs. Sydney M.C.G. (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 10
Sunday, 4th June Kangaroos vs. Sydney Manuka Oval (Early Start) 1:10 PM
Round 11 (Queens Bday)
Saturday, 10th June Sydney vs. St. Kilda S.C.G. (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 12
Saturday, 24th June Sydney vs. Collingwood Telstra Stadium (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 13
Saturday, 1st July Sydney vs. Fremantle S.C.G. (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 14
Sunday, 9th July Sydney vs. Adelaide S.C.G. (Early Start) 1:10 PM
Round 15
Saturday, 15th July West Coast vs. Sydney Subiaco (Night) 7:40 PM
Round 16
Saturday, 22nd July Sydney vs. Richmond S.C.G. (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 17
Saturday, 29th July Port Adelaide vs. Sydney AAMI Stadium (Night) 7:40 PM
Round 18
Saturday, 5th August Sydney vs. Essendon S.C.G. (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 19
Saturday, 12th August Melbourne vs. Sydney M.C.G. 2:10 PM
Round 20
Saturday, 19th August Geelong vs. Sydney Skilled Stadium 2:10 PM
Round 21
Saturday, 26th August Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions Telstra Stadium (Night) 7:10 PM
Round 22
Sunday, 3rd September Sydney vs. Carlton S.C.G. (Early Start) 1:10 PM

Young Blood
4th October 2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by BayesysLeftBoot
One of the only things that really p***es me off is that both the bulldogs and kangaroos automaticly get a home game against us every year. Even though I'm against teams being allowed to change their venues it's something I can deal with, however they shouldn't be given home games every year just so they can do this.

There are lots of constraints on our draw
* We always play the Dogs once, in an 'away' game at the SCG, meaning we only really have 10 away games.
* We always play Brisbane twice, with the AFL trying to foster 'rivalry' between us. (Away game 1)
* Like other teams, we have to play at least one game in Adelaide and Perth each year, just in the interest of fairness (Away games 2 and 3)
* We always play the Roos at Manuka (Away game 4) - so we never play them in Melbourne.
* We always play Collingwood in Sydney during the split round. So we never play them in Melbourne.

Given this, we can only get 6 Vic games if we avoid a 2nd trip to Perth or Adelaide. We've been lucky enough to get this for the 2nd year in a row (admittedly after a drought) - even though this time there's a trip to Geelong.

cruiser
4th October 2005, 05:04 PM
Looks good to me. No Crows in Adelaide, no St Kilda in Melbourne, no Freo in Perth. A few Sat arvo games in Melb means not having to stay overnight ie no accommodation to pay for, same as Brisbane at the Gabba on a Sunday arvo. I prefer night games in Sydney cause I reckon the atmosphere is better.

Draw 'analysed' here:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=233162

Watch them cry favouritism for us over on Big Footy.

Wonder if our premiership odds will increase a little.
:)

peterh_oz
4th October 2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by BarneyG
AFL has stated that the TV ratings are better for the Swans on Saturday night than sunday arvo, I hate it how TV comes before the supporters.

Sunday games suck at 1.10pm. Sat night is MUCh better for atmosphere!

Mark
4th October 2005, 05:18 PM
Wow, that is a cracking draw:

Only 2/3 really tough travel games Port, WCE, Geelong

Lots of Saturday nights

and best of all we get to keep the Bulldogs game at the SCG

Very very nice indeed.

Mebourne/Richmond twice might be the wild card games tho

peterh_oz
4th October 2005, 05:20 PM
Round 1 away - and its Grand Prix weekend. Accom will be astronomical!

Round 2 - unfurl the flag at home at 1.10pm. Crap ratings, and vs Port = crap crowd - it could've been pumped into a big event! AFL has lost a big opportunity here to kick-start the season.

Should be Round 1 v Eagles @ SCG/Telstra - I think the Grand Final rematch should ALWAYS be Round 1 at the Premier's home to unfurl the flag!

Glenn
4th October 2005, 05:30 PM
Very true Peter, would have much prefered Rnd 1 @ SCG (That is the home of the Swans, not Telstra Stadium) for the flag to be unfurled

As for Rnd 1 vs Essendon on Grand Prix weekend, what genius came up with that shocker :eek: , best advice get in very early for flights and accom

swannieserin
4th October 2005, 05:40 PM
Well the anaylsis on the AFL website says that St Kilda has not fared "too badly for a side that has reached the last two preliminary finals" ... yet the Saints fans are not so happy. http://www.saintsational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15645

No surprises there I guess.

I'm happy with the draw, I can't wait to get to all the Sydney games, but like others ... its a pity round 1 isn't in Sydney - how hard would that have been?

Thunder Shaker
4th October 2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by peterh_oz
Round 2 - unfurl the flag at home at 1.10pm. Crap ratings, and vs Port = crap crowd - it could've been pumped into a big event! AFL has lost a big opportunity here to kick-start the season.
I have a suspicion the crowd for this game will easily be 30,000+ regardless of the opponent. Who of the Swans fans would want to miss the unfurling of the premiership flag? It's a Sunday afternoon game, perfect for fans in Melbourne who want to fly up to Sydney for the day and not have to book accommodation.

anniswan
4th October 2005, 05:48 PM
I should know the answer to this but I don't. Has next years Grand Prix been moved?

hammo
4th October 2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by swannieserin
Well the anaylsis on the AFL website says that St Kilda has not fared "too badly for a side that has reached the last two preliminary finals" ... yet the Saints fans are not so happy. http://www.saintsational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15645

No surprises there I guess.

Are they ever happy?

Go Swannies
4th October 2005, 05:57 PM
We have 14 night games - good finals practice.

And the last eight games, when bodies are getting tired, we have a full week between games. There are some advantages coming from the NRL not allowing us to play Friday nights.

Only the non-home R1 game annoys me - the rest looks good.

Thunder Shaker
4th October 2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by anniswan
I should know the answer to this but I don't. Has next years Grand Prix been moved?
The Grand Prix has been moved to avoid a clash with the Commonwealth Games.

SimonH
4th October 2005, 06:04 PM
The list of teams we play twice looks better than average for the reigning premiers, in particular the lack of playing WCE, Adelaide or St K twice-- but with the competition this even, who knows?

It wouldn't matter much if we were playing the Kangaroos at Campbelltown Stadium-- there'll be a bumper crowd along to the first home game of 2006.

Geelong at Telstra Stadium will probably prove to be a (relative) crowd dud. While Essendon would have been a more logical choice to maximise the crowd, I love the fact that we're playing a Satdy night game at the SCG against Essendon. I'd love to play a Satdy night game at the SCG against Essendon every year, in memoriam for the legendary 1996 prelim final.

Is anyone else looking forward to Channel 9 losing the rights to the footy, so that we can revert to sensible footy start times on Sunday rather than the craziness of 1:10pm?

j s
4th October 2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
best advice get in very early for flights and accom
Going home Sunday morning/afternoon should be easy - GP crowd won't leave till the evening - but get in early for your outward flight.

Damien
4th October 2005, 06:21 PM
Good draw.

Is it customary for the reigning premiers to play the previous years premier in the premiers first home game?

Seems like an alright touch, if they can market it properly.

sydneyswans1989
4th October 2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
The Grand Prix has been moved to avoid a clash with the Commonwealth Games.

No it hasnt been moved actually, at first i thought it has but there is a page for it in the grand final record stating ithe same dates as usual.

Thunder Shaker
4th October 2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Damien
Good draw.

Is it customary for the reigning premiers to play the previous years premier in the premiers first home game?

Seems like an alright touch, if they can market it properly.
It could be, but remember the AFL draw for the next season is based on the ladder after round 15.

This would explain why the opening match of the season is West Coast vs St Kilda, and Adelaide play West Coast in round 2. These would have been likely Grand Final match ups as of round 15. We play none of the other three of this year's top four sides until round 11.

Thunder Shaker
4th October 2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by sydneyswans1989
No it hasnt been moved actually, at first i thought it has but there is a page for it in the grand final record stating ithe same dates as usual.

The football record has the dates wrong. The Grand Prix weekend next year is March 30 2006 to April 2nd 2006.

http://cars.grandprix.com.au/news/f1_season_news/2006_grand_prix_date_a_win_win_for_melbourne

http://www.thegrandprixclub.com/Formula_1/Australia_itinerary.htm

http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/australian_grand_prix.html

Frog
4th October 2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by sydneyswans1989

March 30 - April 2 is Grand Prix weekend (at this stage)

Source (http://f1corporate.com/formula-one-travel/1/1/melbourne-grand-prix.html)

Charlie
4th October 2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
It could be, but remember the AFL draw for the next season is based on the ladder after round 15.

This would explain why the opening match of the season is West Coast vs St Kilda, and Adelaide play West Coast in round 2. These would have been likely Grand Final match ups as of round 15. We play none of the other three of this year's top four sides until round 11.

Except that the AFL has discretionary power over the software, even after the GF. The AFL could have specified a Sydney vs West Coast opener if they wanted.

Overall, it's our best draw for years. There's some minor disappointments - such as playing away from home in round one and only having Geelong, Brisbane and Collingwood at Homebush (will be very lucky to get a 40,000 average for these games).

Generally, though, I'd be very disappointed if we couldn't finish top two with that draw. We've been offered a huge shot at back-to-back flags.

liz
4th October 2005, 06:42 PM
Agree that it looks to be a very good draw.

My major disappointment is that we don't get to play the Wiggles at the SCG - I love reading WC supporters go on and on and on about the injustice of having to play football on a postage stamp.

sydneyswans1989
4th October 2005, 06:45 PM
WOW The AFL have done sumthing good to sydney for once, thats a great fixture for us except that the melbourne games should be spread around alot more, too many have been placed before round 10 i reckon but besides that its all good. :)

BonBon
4th October 2005, 06:53 PM
Guys, I got my wish granted. A Melbourne game before Rd 7!

Troy G
4th October 2005, 06:57 PM
I'd hate to do the draw but it's disappointing that we don't play West Coast at the SCG, but the less 1.10pm games the better I reckon.

On a lighter note, I know many people of both sexes that'll be very disappointed that Hawthorn and West Coast are coming here! [:)]

FredFlintstone
4th October 2005, 07:01 PM
The Draw for 2005 looks pretty impressive i must say, love the fact that there has been an increase in Saturday night games(best atmosphere) and less Sunday Arvo games is great(apologies but i do not like the earlier start and hopefully channels 10/7 will get the tv rights in 2007 and we can revert back to a 2.10pm start on Sunday arvo, maybe even a Friday night match too):p

BonBon
4th October 2005, 07:10 PM
I will know this fixture off-by-heart within 2 minutes.

westernswan
4th October 2005, 07:30 PM
I got my wish..play eagles over ere inr15...tie for revenge after all those comments after THAT "meaningless" final:cool:

kenswan
4th October 2005, 07:34 PM
As a Swans member who lives in Melbourne, I am quite happy with the draw. I can't remember the last time I got to see MY SWANNIES play in the first round!

Lighten up all you Sydney-siders. Round 2 is not too long to wait.

robbieando
4th October 2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
only having Geelong, Brisbane and Collingwood at Homebush (will be very lucky to get a 40,000 average for these games).

Remember the club requested 3 games at Telstra Stadium. Collingwood and Essendon then one of Geelong, St Kilda or Brisbane for the third game. The AFL clearly thinks Essendon isn't the draw it once was and would be better served at the SCG where it will fill the ground and basically make it a blockbuster type game, ditto with St Kilda.

Also the club must think that Geelong can draw a crowd big enough to suit Telstra Stadium status if they requested Geelong well "before" the match up in the final. The Brisbane game was always going to stay in the mix after the game there this year was such a success.

So at the end of the day it came down to the AFL's mind between Essendon and Collingwood for the third game and I'm guessing Collingwood won out because of the split round factor.

Overall the draw isn't too bad.

monopoly19
4th October 2005, 08:14 PM
I'm loving this draw, simply because I have other commitments on Sundays for much of the season, and we don't have many of them this year.

I will definately be at the Port game for the unfurling of the flag!

BonBon
4th October 2005, 08:29 PM
Virgin Blue are very expensive at the moment. My dad told me to book all my flights in a month.

swan_song
4th October 2005, 08:34 PM
The draw looks pretty good to me, footy wise. I am disappointed though that we are playing 8 saturday night games, though. In my experience, saturday night games tend to be more about beer-swilling than game watching, compared to sunday afternoon games, judging from those sitting around us. To us, at least, saturday night games do not particularly lend themselves to a family-friendly environment. Undoubtedly though this is one drawback we'll endure...

j s
4th October 2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by kenswan
As a Swans member who lives in Melbourne, I am quite happy with the draw. I can't remember the last time I got to see MY SWANNIES play in the first round!

Lighten up all you Sydney-siders. Round 2 is not too long to wait.
Let's hope thay can organise something (will need the Bombers agreement) like Jason and Stewie doing a circuit holding the Cup

Something like that would guarantee a sellout crowd.

Frog
4th October 2005, 08:49 PM
Looks like we may have to book seats at the TD for the opener ... It's Essendon after all ... Maybe I'll go to Sydney for round 2 instead ...

ItsAllGoodes
4th October 2005, 09:07 PM
I am fairly happy with the draw...complete opposite for Melb supporters in that we get lots of games early, not so many coming home...but from a team perspective, finishing with home games gives us the best chance to get a good position on the ladder...possibly followed by two home finals...fingers crossed...although of course I love MCG finals

The one complaint I have about the Melb games is that both the Essendon game and the Geelong game will probably be ticketed affairs, so we will have to buy seats for these games...expensive when you want to take kids

But I am definitely going to go up to Sydney for a game this year...and possibly to Canberra

EMJ
4th October 2005, 09:14 PM
Yes I thought I was dreaming when the draw came out - great for us - now let the guys perform as well as the draw is good.

swansrule100
4th October 2005, 09:24 PM
sorry if its here already

but whens the wizard cup draw out?

AnnetteF
4th October 2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B

Away games are:
5 in Melbourne
1 in Geelong
1 in Perth
1 in Adelaide
1 in Canberra
1 in Brisbane
1 in Sydney (WB game).

Hooray for one in Brisbane!

AnnetteF

Frog
4th October 2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
but whens the wizard cup draw out?

Source (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=233235)

Meanwhile the draw for the pre-season NAB Cup will be released later this month. It will start on 24 February and finish on March 18.

swansrule100
4th October 2005, 09:58 PM
thanks mate

Damien
4th October 2005, 10:53 PM
Would love to see the AFL have Swans/Eagles in the NAB cup in Sydney.....seeing we don't get to play them at all here next year.

Might also get us a decent pre-season crowd finally in Sydney.

Mark
4th October 2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by swan_song
The draw looks pretty good to me, footy wise. I am disappointed though that we are playing 8 saturday night games, though. In my experience, saturday night games tend to be more about beer-swilling than game watching, compared to sunday afternoon games, judging from those sitting around us. To us, at least, saturday night games do not particularly lend themselves to a family-friendly environment. Undoubtedly though this is one drawback we'll endure...

I am sorry but footy is not a creche !

Sydney is a very 'family friendly' place to watch footy. This does not mean that people are not equally allowed to have a few beers/wines/absynthes. Mostly you will find those that do actually have some decency !

swansrule100
4th October 2005, 11:00 PM
i think for the good of the game the swans should play the pre season game at aurora stadium!:p

westernswan
4th October 2005, 11:25 PM
we wont get to play eagles in r1 of the NAB cup, cause over here ive heard various news sources saying eagles will vs freo (like it has been for the last 3 years)

its the only way the can draw a crowd , they got 21,000 for the eagles kanagas preliminary final last year, whilst for the first knockout game they got 32,000

maybe in the later rounds of NAB cup we can play em...but who am i kidding..we never take that cup serioulsy

swaney
5th October 2005, 12:02 AM
I love this draw but gotta have quite a few weekends of work at the end of the year...but my swannies are more important....:)

Doctor
5th October 2005, 12:37 AM
1. Most importantly, this looks like a great draw for us. Then again, we said that at this time last year and a lot of the supposed easy games turned into much tougher clashes when the form guide turned on its ear this year. Hard to see that happening again to that extent next year though and it does look like a good draw, although not as good as the one Essendon got!!!!

2. Whoever the Premiers are, they should be given a home opener in Round 1 to unveil the flag. It's a shame it isn't happening for us until Round 2.

3. I'm very disappointed we've gone back to just 4 day games. My son is a passionate member even though he's only 6 and the extra day games this year were great as the night games can go pretty late. I agree there should be plenty of night games but 4 is too few day game. Let's not forget, daytime is usually better conditions to play footy in too.

4. The first analysis I read on the AFL website said that one Melbourne team did not have to go to either Sydney or Brisbane. Having looked at the draw briefly I couldn't notice who that might be. Any ideas?

Reggi
5th October 2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Young Blood
So we've got the following twice:
Carlton
Port
Essendon
Melbourne
Geelong
Brisbane (as always)
Richmond

Realistically everyone in that list bar Carlton will be a finals contender - our draw looks soft based on this year's form but I doubt that will carry through

robamiee
8th October 2005, 10:02 AM
I like the look of our draw for next season. it has good balance and and doesn't see us on the road in huge blocks

Rd Day, Date (Time) vs. @
1 Saturday, 1st April (Night) Essendon Telstra Dome
2 Sunday, 9th April (Early Start) Port Adelaide S.C.G.
3 Saturday, 15th April (Night) Carlton Telstra Dome
4 Sunday, 23rd April (Early Start) Melbourne S.C.G.
5 Saturday, 29th April (Night) Geelong Telstra Stadium
6 Sunday, 7th May (Early Start) Brisbane Lions Gabba
7 Saturday, 13th May Richmond Telstra Dome
8 Saturday, 20th May (Night) Western Bulldogs S.C.G. (a)
9 Saturday, 27th May (Night) Hawthorn M.C.G.
10 Sunday, 4th June (Early Start) Kangaroos Manuka Oval
11 Saturday, 10th June (Night) St. Kilda S.C.G.
12 Saturday, 24th June (Night) Collingwood Telstra Stadium
13 Saturday, 1st July (Night) Fremantle S.C.G.
14 Sunday, 9th July (Early Start) Adelaide S.C.G.
15 Saturday, 15th July (Night) West Coast Subiaco
16 Saturday, 22nd July (Night) Richmond S.C.G.
17 Saturday, 29th July (Night) Port Adelaide AAMI Stadium
18 Saturday, 5th August (Night) Essendon S.C.G.
19 Saturday, 12th August Melbourne M.C.G.
20 Saturday, 19th August Geelong Skilled Stadium
21 Saturday, 26th August (Night) Brisbane Lions Telstra Stadium
22 Sunday, 3rd September (Early Start) Carlton S.C.G.

Round 15 Grand Final Re- match at subiaco, be good to see them beat the there. So all you WA fans lets get there.

Nico
8th October 2005, 11:30 PM
No such thing as a soft match these days.

Did you know that StKilda had a disproportionate numbers of Poms supporting them. Every second Saints supporter in Melbourne is a Pom. Explains everything.

At least we know they have already flagged the excuse for an under performing 2006.

Refried Noodle
9th November 2005, 04:57 PM
Just thought I'd put this one here:

NAB Cup 2006 Fixture (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=236573)

Swans playing Roos down here at Manuka.:)

ItsAllGoodes
9th November 2005, 05:04 PM
Apparently, if we beat the Kangas, we play the winner of Carlton and Geelong in, of all places, Cazaly Stadium.....Cairns

Does not make much sense to me...ok losers playing the rest of their pre-season matches up country...but surely the winners would play in one teams 'home' market...us playing Carlton or Geelong in Melb is a better option than playing in Cairns

hammo
9th November 2005, 06:40 PM
Bloody hell - 2pm start in Canberra in February. Seems ridiculous to me, then the reward to play in tropical Cairns.

As usual we'll play our youngsters and a loss will be a blessing in disguise.

airpoe
9th November 2005, 07:24 PM
My points regarding 2006 draw.

I absolutely hate Sunday early start games as i've only been to the Eagles game this year. Its too early, just hope ch9 losses the rights so this would not happen again.

I have gonna to Manuka, as the games are usually no events and are boring.

A game against WC over there is good as we can rub it in to their supporters.

Again ch9 fault, no friday night games

Belle
9th November 2005, 07:31 PM
does anyone know average price melbourne to sydney??? Im thinking about going up for the round 2 game, the cheapest price is $105 virgin $115 qantas each way on the sunday, any help appreciated :)

ScottH
9th November 2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Refried Noodle

NAB Cup 2006 Fixture (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=236573)

Swans playing Roos down here at Manuka.:) That's easy for you to say. We say, it's up there.

goswannie14
9th November 2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Belle
does anyone know average price melbourne to sydney??? Im thinking about going up for the round 2 game, the cheapest price is $105 virgin $115 qantas each way on the sunday, any help appreciated :) try Jetstar...usually cheaper...we often use them for my kids coming from Adelaide to Melbourne

goswannie14
9th November 2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by airpoe
My points regarding 2006 draw.

I absolutely hate Sunday early start games as i've only been to the Eagles game this year. Its too early, just hope ch9 losses the rights so this would not happen again.

I have gonna to Manuka, as the games are usually no events and are boring.

A game against WC over there is good as we can rub it in to their supporters.

Again ch9 fault, no friday night games Being from Victoria, early start games are good for the Swans because then we get to see them on the TV

goswannie14
9th November 2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Refried Noodle

Swans playing Roos down here at Manuka.:) Looks like we'll be visitin the wifes relatives in Canberra that weekend:D

Belle
9th November 2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
try Jetstar...usually cheaper...we often use them for my kids coming from Adelaide to Melbourne

Jetstar are out of the question.... there is no way on earth im going to fly out of avalon!!! Tullamarine is just too close ;)

goswannie14
9th November 2005, 08:39 PM
Jetstar are out of the question.... there is no way on earth im going to fly out of avalon!!! Tullamarine is just too close ;) From Pucka we go almost past Tulla airport, but to save $30-40 each way we think its worth it. We're thinking of driving up...don't know whether we will get around to it.

Belle
9th November 2005, 08:53 PM
From Pucka we go almost past Tulla airport, but to save $30-40 each way we think its worth it. We're thinking of driving up...don't know whether we will get around to it.

Jetstar are $79-84 each way.... its a $40 saving, not sure its worth it

goswannie14
9th November 2005, 08:55 PM
Jetstar are $79-84 each way.... its a $40 saving, not sure its worth it Yeah, but when its 2 - like with my 2 daughters it's a huge saving:D

Belle
9th November 2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but when its 2 - like with my 2 daughters it's a huge saving:D

Yes it is, but $20 each way difference isnt that bigger-deal, probably cost me that in petrol :mad:

DST
9th November 2005, 10:04 PM
I'll put $20 now that we won't get within 10 goals of the Kangaroos in Canberra in the NAB Cup.

We have not taken the pre season before and next year we won't to field anything other than a side of rookies until 3 weeks out from the season proper.

DST
:D

Northern_Swan
9th November 2005, 10:08 PM
So we will lock in a Swans match @ Newcastle on March 11 straight after the Carlton community camp then??

hammo
9th November 2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by DST
I'll put $20 now that we won't get within 10 goals of the Kangaroos in Canberra in the NAB Cup.

We have not taken the pre season before and next year we won't to field anything other than a side of rookies until 3 weeks out from the season proper.

DST
:D
Agreed. If you were forming a betting market on pre-season form the Swans would be last each of the last 3 years.

I really don't see the benefit of clubs going out to win the pre-season (Saints 04, Carlton 05) considering both clubs faded miserably towards the end of the season (alright, Carlton were miserable all year).

I think Sydney has got it right by giving youngsters some senior experience and easing the top players back towards the latter part of pre-season - another tribute to our conditioning staff.

Also, MO'L should not play a game until about round 6 :D

robbieando
9th November 2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by hammo I think Sydney has got it right by giving youngsters some senior experience and easing the top players back towards the latter part of pre-season - another tribute to our conditioning staff.

and to think people at the start of the season suggested that this wasn't a good thing and we wouldn't win a flag because of it.

tantrum
10th November 2005, 12:15 AM
I've booked my flight to Sydney for round 2, 2006, via Dusseldorf, Dubai, Perth and Melbourne. Looking forward to it!

SimonH
10th November 2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by DST

DST
:D I'll take your cash if you have so little need for it. Sydney are the classic team that doesn't get flogged... and even if they do, it's not by 10 goals. BTW, it's not physically possible for Sydney to field "a side of rookies", even interpreting the word 'rookies' generously. At least 10 premiership players will play the game.

giant
10th November 2005, 10:52 AM
The lack of day games @ the SCG makes my plan to buy a family membership questionable - no chance I'd take the bairns to a night game.

Has anyone bought the family package in the past? are they at all flexible in how you package that (eg, just for the day games)?