PDA

View Full Version : RWO disaster!

Go Swannies
7th October 2005, 04:22 PM
Okay, we need to convene a crisis meeting fast.

With Saddo gone and LRT on the improve - and Fossie and Ben playing well in the Grand Final, who have we got left to pick on and humiliate in 2006? This site stands to become a wasteland with tumbleweeds blowing down the main street - a bit like BigFooty since the Weagles and Saints blowhards left town. Saddo has filled the role for years and we were fortunate that LRT loomed into view just as Saddo was injured.

We need a village idiot (as well as the communal cow) so who's going to step up?

Jeffers1984
7th October 2005, 04:24 PM
Thank god Spriggs is still here ;)

barry
7th October 2005, 04:26 PM
I predict Teddy will assume the mantle left by Luffy, Gerard Bennet, Saddo, and held most recently by LRT.

God help him.

Sanecow
7th October 2005, 04:26 PM
LRT will be inconsistent still and NOG has set himself up for a big year. The new boys will cop a whipping if they make a clanger or two early.

SimonH
7th October 2005, 04:30 PM
I reckon Luffy must still owe the club a favour or two, and he's been known to hang around RWO on occasion. We could persuade him to nominate for the draft and pick him up with our 3rd pick.

'Cos it's true/ What they say/ It's better the devil you know.

Go Swannies
7th October 2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
LRT will be inconsistent still and NOG has set himself up for a big year. The new boys will cop a whipping if they make a clanger or two early.

Nah, NOG played his trump card in the Grand Final. I hope that sometime before Christmas I can watch that last quarter and see Cousins anticipate NOG and start moving back without screaming "Nooooo" at the screen.

midaro
7th October 2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies

With Saddo gone and LRT on the improve - and Fossie and Ben playing well in the Grand Final, who have we got left to pick on and humiliate in 2006? This site stands to become a wasteland with tumbleweeds blowing down the main street - a bit like BigFooty since the Weagles and Saints blowhards left town. Saddo has filled the role for years and we were fortunate that LRT loomed into view just as Saddo was injured.

We need a village idiot (as well as the communal cow) so who's going to step up?
In my opinion, our trading was entirely focused on alleviating this problem.
Welcome to Canberra Messrs Chambers and Richards.

giant
7th October 2005, 05:17 PM
Are you gonna give up on LRT just like that? Please - he deserves more! He is a whipping boy for the ages!

Young Blood
7th October 2005, 05:20 PM
I think the Donkey might fit the bill. We'll be impatient for him to perform, should he actually get on the park.

7th October 2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Young Blood
I think the Donkey might fit the bill. We'll be impatient for him to perform, should he actually get on the park.
Phew, thank god for this suggestion, otherwise RWO would be a very quiet place :).

hammo
7th October 2005, 05:36 PM
We have signed a ruckman who's nickname is Unco so RWO will be fine

midaro
7th October 2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by hammo
We have signed a ruckman who's nickname is Unco so RWO will be fine
Yep.

...but if anyone thinks LRT, Mathews and Fosdike aren't going to cop it from time-to-time they are kidding themselves.

In fact, I think we should decide how many weeks immunity Fosdike's and LRT's GF performances grant them. ;)

Sanecow
7th October 2005, 05:41 PM
The nickname is sarge if you don't mind.

Young Blood
7th October 2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by midaro
In fact, I think we should decide how many weeks immunity Fosdike's and LRT's GF performances grant them. ;)

Fosdike 2, Hyphenator 4

Go Swannies
7th October 2005, 05:48 PM

Starting . . . . now.

Charlie
7th October 2005, 05:51 PM
The nickname is sarge if you don't mind.

'Sarge' doesn't apply. It's a reference to an old Geelong stalwart.

I think we might end up keeping 'Unco' though. Will probably be quite appropriate.

Nico
7th October 2005, 05:52 PM

You dont need to have a whipping boy.

If someone is not playing well then all you need to say is that person is not playing well enough to warrant selection. This way you have a bit each way.

Go Swannies
7th October 2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Nico
You dont need to have a whipping boy.

If someone is not playing well then all you need to say is that person is not playing well enough to warrant selection. This way you have a bit each way.

Ah, the old Roos "Schaubs" ruse? "What an idiot Roos is playing X when Y would be so much better." So Roos is your selection?

Nico
7th October 2005, 06:06 PM
Ah, the old Roos "Schaubs" ruse? "What an idiot Roos is playing X when Y would be so much better." So Roos is your selection?

But Roos wont get selected because he has retired and is coaching an AFL side that WON THE FLAG.

Sanecow
7th October 2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
'Sarge' doesn't apply. It's a reference to an old Geelong stalwart.

Micky still gets called Magic though.

Go Swannies
7th October 2005, 06:08 PM
But Roos wont get selected because he has retired and is coaching an AFL side that WON THE FLAG.

Are you still going on about that? That was last week's news. For god's sake get serious - we traded Saddo!!!!

Lucky Knickers
7th October 2005, 06:12 PM
Nah, NOG played his trump card in the Grand Final. I hope that sometime before Christmas I can watch that last quarter and see Cousins anticipate NOG and start moving back without screaming "Nooooo" at the screen.

So glad I'm not the only one yelling Nooooooooooooooooo!

S.U.D
7th October 2005, 07:13 PM
When this happens, use the hammer to break the glass to access the emergency FootyHead

ROK Lobster
7th October 2005, 07:15 PM
Bag Kirk for all his hippy/Bhuddist bollocks

satchmopugdog
8th October 2005, 11:14 AM
Matthew Davis I have been told could develop into anything..who's to know he wasn't recruited as the "Smoky" LRT for 2006?

woo
8th October 2005, 11:26 AM
Micky still gets called Magic though.

this Magic nickname really needs a second thought..his kicks for goal are not magic at all

Charlie
8th October 2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by woo
this Magic nickname really needs a second thought..his kicks for goal are not magic at all

52.26 over the course of the season is excellent.

He missed a few in the GF, sure, but he had concussion that they didn't know about until after the match. Why is it surprising?

Blackers
8th October 2005, 11:52 AM
I think the goal that Luke ablett gave away in the grand final will haunt him for life..

JF_Bay22_SCG
8th October 2005, 01:31 PM
We DO still have Ben Matthews.

And Goodes is still high on the enfuriation scale when he is out of form.

JF

satchmopugdog
8th October 2005, 01:40 PM
No-one has every really taken over from Dale Lewis for me fo screaming at the TV screen. He was so talented and skillful and would do the unbelievable and then have me screaming LEEEWISSSSS in frustration.

Mind that has brought back the time John Stevens did a complete botch, try to get out of the way of the ball as it goes through the goals but end up just about heading it through type thing. He also used to be good for spoiling our players as they were just about to mark the ball.

This has sent me into frustration sensory overdrive.

liz
8th October 2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Blackers
I think the goal that Luke ablett gave away in the grand final will haunt him for life..

Why? He has a premiership medal.

He made a mistake, a bad one. So did LRT three weeks earlier against the Weagles. At the end of the day, neither mistake means anything. They won.

Wardy
8th October 2005, 01:53 PM
Arrh Ben Matthews - hmm he has been known to drive me and others to drink on too many occassions - LRT too - but after the cranky lady in front of us at the grand final kept having a go at us and others about any player we chose to comment on - I've had to rethink the way I vent.

Agree Satchmo about Dale Lewis - fabulous player but did the most stupid things.

Guzzitza
8th October 2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
We DO still have Ben Matthews.

JF

Amen to that!

I think everyone has forgot we have him, if you have he's the guy running around in circles, kicking backwards, and holding up play when we are on the rebound!
Yeehaaw!

swan_song
8th October 2005, 02:47 PM
It's all very well bagging players when they do something stoopid...but remember, this IS RWOL after all....so surely the more football-savvy amongst us still want to trade Kirky, Ben, Magic and Goodsie to name but a few...

stellation
8th October 2005, 03:38 PM
How about Leo? Sure, he took that mark... but what about the clanger to kick it to the contest that had Cox in the first place?

ScottH
8th October 2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by liz
Why? He has a premiership medal.

He made a mistake, a bad one. So did LRT three weeks earlier against the Weagles. At the end of the day, neither mistake means anything. They won. NOG, will be haunted by it, even a Premiership Medal won't make the "What if" whoughts disappear.

ScottH
8th October 2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by stellation
How about Leo? Sure, he took that mark... but what about the clanger to kick it to the contest that had Cox in the first place? They had agreed on a kick to kick after the game, and thought the siren had already gone.

Reggi
9th October 2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by stellation
How about Leo? Sure, he took that mark... but what about the clanger to kick it to the contest that had Cox in the first place?

'When in doubt go to the ruckman'

Should have been a free to Jolly clearly pushed under the ball.

Sans Jason Ball our Rucks will cop it.

Erickson can't mark blah blah blah, Chambers is too short blah blah,

ROK Lobster
9th October 2005, 09:31 AM
While on the topic of grand final near disasters, WTF was Goodes doing having a ping from outside (was it just outside) 50 with a min or so to go? Sydney needed to retain possession - where did the patience go or was he thinking "Hero"?

Mike_B
9th October 2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
While on the topic of grand final near disasters, WTF was Goodes doing having a ping from outside (was it just outside) 50 with a min or so to go? Sydney needed to retain possession - where did the patience go or was he thinking "Hero"?

I'm sure you're just being facetious on that one, given that a goal would have all but sealed the game.

ROK Lobster
9th October 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
I'm sure you're just being facetious on that one, given that a goal would have all but sealed the game. I'm not. How far out was he? (I have not watched the replay (see below)). We moaned and groaned when he did it. He's not that good a kick from that distance and it gave possession to the Eagles. In a team with no heros, where everyone apparently always the disciplined thing, I thought it was a brain explosion of Nog-esque proportions.

(see above: I actually watched the first half for the first time last night. Concussion maybe but MOL had the yips, choking at the thighs...)

Jeffers1984
9th October 2005, 11:04 AM
I'm not. How far out was he? (I have not watched the replay (see below)). We moaned and groaned when he did it. He's not that good a kick from that distance and it gave possession to the Eagles. In a team with no heros, where everyone apparently always the disciplined thing, I thought it was a brain explosion of Nog-esque proportions.

Totally agree with you on that one ROK. Goodes was way too far out to have an accurate shot at goal. Instead he put all his effort for distance and sprayed his shot for a behind where the lead was only up to 5.

Goodesy should of gone for a lead or to the top of the goal square where we could of either forced a ball up or have a Swan take a pack mark (which would eaten up even more time).

That was probably why when i heard that final siren, my very first reaction was of relief.

punter257
9th October 2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Totally agree with you on that one ROK. Goodes was way too far out to have an accurate shot at goal. Instead he put all his effort for distance and sprayed his shot for a behind where the lead was only up to 5.

Goodesy should of gone for a lead or to the top of the goal square where we could of either forced a ball up or have a Swan take a pack mark (which would eaten up even more time).

That was probably why when i heard that final siren, my very first reaction was of relief.

yeah i reckon that too, i remember at the time i was lala that we gave the eagles possession

but had it gone through we'd be hailing him more than leaping leo

Ruda Wakening
9th October 2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by punter257

but had it gone through we'd be hailing him more than leaping leo

That's why he did it.

punter257
9th October 2005, 11:18 AM
all part of the plan hey :p

ahhhh well we have to thank staker for his ridiculous brain fade anyways otherwise it would have been on the wing

Gary
9th October 2005, 02:49 PM
I'm a long time supporter but new here. On the subject of who will replace saddo I have enjoyed following the thread. Can't help but wonder how you all handled dear old Cressa...he of the great ball get but often woeful disposal. Goodes has frustrated me for years with his specialty...the good get wide turn and kick to nowhere. Not sure that GF effort quite came into that category, and my general perception is that he is trying harder these days.
Thanks for the fun.

Tuesday
9th October 2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
NOG, will be haunted by it, even a Premiership Medal won't make the "What if" whoughts disappear.

:o Oh, leave the poor bloke alone. I'm sure he's his harshest critic, but the guy needs to be cut some serious slack. It happened right in front of us, and yes it sucked, but there were plenty of other moments throughout the season and even the game that provoked the same response. Hell, even the MC had to add his two cents worth about it at the B&F! I couldn't help but cringe. Am hoping he chooses to see the positives over the summer and comes out with all guns blazing next season to silence his critics.
But the moral of the story: things always work out. In my world, anyhow. ;)

humphrey bear
9th October 2005, 04:06 PM

I agree. It was a very selfish and stupid act.

monopoly19
9th October 2005, 04:12 PM
I vote for Schneider. Too many crotch photos and not enough goals.

Tuesday
9th October 2005, 04:34 PM
But he loves it!
(as does a relative)

ROK Lobster
9th October 2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Tuesday
:o Oh, leave the poor bloke alone. I'm sure he's his harshest critic, but the guy needs to be cut some serious slack. It happened right in front of us, and yes it sucked, but there were plenty of other moments throughout the season and even the game that provoked the same response. Hell, even the MC had to add his two cents worth about it at the B&F! I couldn't help but cringe. Could not agree more, especially about the half wit MC twit (Still think it was the clanger of all clangers but if 1 clanger determines a game the clanger has not really lost the game. If that makes sense?) A few of the things MC idiot he had to say were pretty bloody ordinary.

But the moral of the story: things always work out. In my world, anyhow. ;) Mine too.

Nico
9th October 2005, 07:10 PM
ROK I cant work out whether that beer glass of yours is half full or half empty. I suspect half full but please enlighten.

Then again it is a beer glass so it could be always empty.

ROK Lobster
9th October 2005, 07:22 PM
ROK I cant work out whether that beer glass of yours is half full or half empty. I suspect half full but please enlighten.

Then again it is a beer glass so it could be always empty. I've been trying to keep up with it this afternoon. I think it half full, i wish i could find a real one like it

Ruda Wakening
9th October 2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Can't help but wonder how you all handled dear old Cressa...

He looked like Hitler.

Nico
9th October 2005, 07:53 PM
I've been trying to keep up with it this afternoon. I think it half full, i wish i could find a real one like it

I suggest they call those glasses a lady's waist. I reckon you might find one in this state where real beer is brewed.

goswannie14
9th October 2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by singaporeswan
So glad I'm not the only one yelling Nooooooooooooooooo! I still keep holding my head in my hands in disbelief...if he wasn't my favourite player I would want him hung and then flogged...after that I would really get serious;)

goswannie14
9th October 2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Blackers
I disagree...but if we had lost because of it then that probably would have been the case. In the end we all know that it din't and we are all living happily ever after...until next season;)

BayesysLeftBoot
10th October 2005, 07:48 AM
I vote for Chambers, always fun to pick on the new goofy looking kid.

Ruck'n'Roll
10th October 2005, 09:43 AM
Welcome to Canberra Messrs Chambers
I've kinda accidentally jumped on that bandwagon already, I am however going to try and climb back off again before the season starts.

cressakel
10th October 2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Gary
I'm a long time supporter but new here. On the subject of who will replace saddo I have enjoyed following the thread. Can't help but wonder how you all handled dear old Cressa...he of the great ball get but often woeful disposal. Goodes has frustrated me for years with his specialty...the good get wide turn and kick to nowhere. Not sure that GF effort quite came into that category, and my general perception is that he is trying harder these days.
Thanks for the fun.

Don't pick on Cressa, the guy was a superstar for his limited natural ability - his disposal was great in my opinion. But then again, eveyone has a player that pis**s them off one game early on in there career and then they run with negative thoughts about said player for the rest of his career no matter how many times that player has corrected there wrongs - such as Darren Holmes, Peter Filandia, Mark Eustice, Ben Matthews and Nic Fosdike for myself.

Next you will be commenting on the numerous times Paul "King" Kelly used to miss targets when running flat out with the Sherrin in hand......

P.S. I hear ya with Goodesy, the original space cadet and the classic so-called "athlete" and not a thinking "footballer".

Gary
10th October 2005, 04:46 PM
I would hate CressaKel to think I was not a Cressa fan...just hard to watch the disposal sometimes. Ben Matthews intrigues me with his honest "ordinariness"...now and again he does something a little special that makes you realise why he stays in week after week, year after year. I guess he is typical of the blue collar approach that finally gave us a premiership.

THERBS
10th October 2005, 06:11 PM
Have to wait and see who else we pick up. At the moment Chambers is the no. 1 pick. He's done nothing for the Swans so far: no possessions, no tackles, no hard ball gets, no points.
What's he doing?

Lucky Knickers
10th October 2005, 06:35 PM
:o Oh, leave the poor bloke alone. I'm sure he's his harshest critic, but the guy needs to be cut some serious slack.

I completely agree - he took the most amazing one-hander just prior. When he retires as a 3xBrownlow medallist, 8xpremiership player and 5xall australian....it will make a great chapter in his book!

Watching the replay - again - I feel sick everytime they kick it to MOL! He, IMO, is one very lucky swan that the most superb defence saved our flag.....:)

ScottH
11th October 2005, 07:13 AM
:o Oh, leave the poor bloke alone. I'm sure he's his harshest critic, but the guy needs to be cut some serious slack. It happened right in front of us, and yes it sucked, but there were plenty of other moments throughout the season and even the game that provoked the same response. Hell, even the MC had to add his two cents worth about it at the B&F! I couldn't help but cringe. Am hoping he chooses to see the positives over the summer and comes out with all guns blazing next season to silence his critics.
But the moral of the story: things always work out. In my world, anyhow. ;) I was not critising NOG. I was disagreeing with the previous post if you'd cared to read that.

It happened right in front of most of us, we all saw it we all felt for him. I was merely pointing out that "dumb" mistakes we all make stick in your mind for a long, long time. Yes, I'm sure he will get over it, and move on, he has shown a lot this year as was proved by his most improved award.

Go Swannies
11th October 2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
I was not critising NOG. I was disagreeing with the previous post if you'd cared to read that.

It happened right in front of most of us, we all saw it we all felt for him. I was merely pointing out that "dumb" mistakes we all make stick in your mind for a long, long time. Yes, I'm sure he will get over it, and move on, he has shown a lot this year as was proved by his most improved award.

For a whole series of games this year NOG and I seemed to leave the SCG at the same time and we got to discussing his progress and everytime I complimented his improvement he'd turn it around to say "so you thought I used to play like crap?" When I saw him at the Club Champion Dinner I said that it'd be been a great season for him but he really had to get over that kick. He said "It'd be a lot easier if people stopped talking about it!" And laughed.

He's just one of a long list of Swans players who didn't put the game away when they could have: Pebbles, Monty and, most of all, Magic come to mind. I think it'll be more interesting to see how MOL reacts for his next high pressure set shot at goal. It took Jason Ball a couple of months before he got over his miss against the Lions last year.

Then again, the whole game may have receded into an alcohol (or KFC fat) haze by now.

ScottH
11th October 2005, 08:12 AM
While I agree that NOG will get over it and move on (as Ball did). It will always be there in the back of his mind.

I bet Ball still remembers that kick, occasionally.

Mistakes makes us better people, I'm sure it will make NOG a better "thinking" player.

Sanecow
11th October 2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by singaporeswan
When he retires as a 3xBrownlow medallist, 8xpremiership player and 5xall australian....it will make a great chapter in his book!

When that happens, I will eat the book.

goswannie14
12th October 2005, 10:15 AM
When that happens, I will eat the book.
Better start buttering it up then...I assume you like butter on your books!!!:p

woo
12th October 2005, 02:21 PM

I think we have solved this problem now....Kenny will now take over.

punter257
12th October 2005, 02:43 PM
everytime i hear "kenny" i think of kramer saying it when kenny rogers roasters closed down in seinfeld. when he's in bed eating it and in a rocking motion. haha i love it:D

woo
12th October 2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by punter257
everytime i hear "kenny" i think of kramer saying it when kenny rogers roasters closed down in seinfeld. when he's in bed eating it and in a rocking motion. haha i love it:D

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheChickenRoaster.htm

its a classic