PDA

View Full Version : Apparently we ran out of time to get Everitt...

Charlie
7th October 2005, 07:23 PM
... according to C7. Hawthorn were going to do a deal. Sounds very, very fishy though - the deal was for Jolly (hehe) and a first round pick (which we didn't have).

Snowy
7th October 2005, 07:23 PM
The Hawks demanded Jolly and a first round selection and this fell over with minutes to go. It would have been a retrograde step IMHO. ROK for example would have to have been traded + Jolly and when you consider the relative ages of the players and factor in losing ROK despite gaining Everitt, there was no guarantee even of better short-term success. If the Hawks were serious they should have tried to deal earlier.

Sanecow
7th October 2005, 07:25 PM
Deluded fools! Spida < Jolly + round 1 pick.

Lucky Knickers
7th October 2005, 07:28 PM
That would be hyperdrive retrograde...

Thank god - Jolly Goodes thing!

Snowy
7th October 2005, 07:34 PM
I guess they felt so flushed with ripping off North Melbourne that they went back for more.:D

liz
7th October 2005, 07:47 PM
If there is any truth to this report, it sounds like Hawthorn were going through the motions only. You don't seriously try to broker a deal at the last moment with a club that doesn't have what you're asking for (ie a first round draft pick).

Frog
7th October 2005, 07:49 PM
At least now they can tell Spider they tried ... Maybe he'll come back to the fold

ROK Lobster
7th October 2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by liz
If there is any truth to this report, it sounds like Hawthorn were going through the motions only. You don't seriously try to broker a deal at the last moment with a club that doesn't have what you're asking for (ie a first round draft pick). To try and cheer up the Spider. They can say that they tried to find him a new home and also show that they think he is worth more than anyone else does.

dawson
7th October 2005, 07:53 PM
we should have given them Doyle for Spida

Tuesday
7th October 2005, 07:54 PM
What's he asking?
Jolly and a first round draft pick that we don't even really have?
Tell 'im he's dreamin'!

swans05
7th October 2005, 08:09 PM
hawthorn must love those draft picks they got 3, 6, 14, 18 in the 1st round

swannieserin
7th October 2005, 08:14 PM
Just think of all those poor kids starting their careers in the weepoos.

stellation
7th October 2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
... according to C7. Hawthorn were going to do a deal. Sounds very, very fishy though - the deal was for Jolly (hehe) and a first round pick (which we didn't have).
Madness. Spida is a fantastic ruckman, but why would we decide "we only have one reliable ruckman, we want two... so lets trade that one reliable ruckman to get another... okay, what do we have? one reliable ruckman? damn!".

Xie Shan
7th October 2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Madness. Spida is a fantastic ruckman, but why would we decide "we only have one reliable ruckman, we want two... so lets trade that one reliable ruckman to get another... okay, what do we have? one reliable ruckman? damn!".

Do the Hawks really think we're that stupid? Oh wait, we're the club that traded to end up with 4 draft picks between 50 and 70 in one of the weakest drafts in recent years. On second thoughts... ;)

BonBon
7th October 2005, 09:17 PM
There was 60secs to go and it fell through.

midaro
7th October 2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by BonBon
Where were we going to get the first round pick?

ROK Lobster
7th October 2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by midaro
Where were we going to get the first round pick? Dream, believe, achieve

giant
7th October 2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BonBon

Sounds like a job for Nick Davis!!

cruiser
7th October 2005, 11:09 PM
Everitt to Sydney in 2007.

sydneyswans1989
7th October 2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by giant

hahaha i like that :D

Xie Shan
7th October 2005, 11:26 PM
Haha good one :)

Malcolm Blight at a stoppage in the Swans forward 50 a few plays before that tap: "Where's Nick Davis!" :D

Charlie
7th October 2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by giant

Or perhaps it sounds like a job for Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper Ted!

satchmopugdog
7th October 2005, 11:37 PM
I am soooo relieved ......thank heavens we didn't get Spida!! Now he can be a role model to all those young kids Hawthorn are getting in the first round. Roughhead et.al. will be looking around saying "Hey I'm one of the old blokes round here. I can draw on all my wordly experience and show these youngsters how to cope with it all!! Hey Spida lets show them what the good old work ethic is "

If I had a son in this draft I would have my fingers crossed he would go no.51 rather than whatever Hawthorn has. These young kids will be thrown straight into it like Deledio has been for Richmond. So much responsibility for such young bodies and minds.

satchmopugdog
7th October 2005, 11:41 PM
Correction sorry Pick 52 not 51 . I wouldn't wish landing at Essendon on anyone except that horrible woman who lives up the road.

Snowy
8th October 2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by cruiser
Everitt to Sydney in 2007.

You're kidding, they'll want early picks in the super draft for an 'old' man.

Piobaireachd
8th October 2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by stellation
Madness. Spida is a fantastic ruckman, but why would we decide "we only have one reliable ruckman, we want two... so lets trade that one reliable ruckman to get another... okay, what do we have? one reliable ruckman? damn!". ROFLMAO

ugg
8th October 2005, 01:33 AM
From realfooty (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/10/07/1128562999098.html)

Ireland, on the other hand, said the two clubs reached the point of discussing players for a possible trade but said Sydney baulked when Hawthorn asked for Jolly. It is believed that Sydney had hoped to involve young Victorian ruckman Andrew Ericksen and Stephen Doyle in the exchange, knowing that Hawthorn would want a ruckman to replace Everitt if the deal went through

anniswan
8th October 2005, 01:36 AM
They must have been dreaming to think we would trade Jolly.

I thought we may have on traded the guy we got from Geelong.

ugg
8th October 2005, 01:41 AM
I don't think you can on-trade players, only draft picks.

goswannie14
8th October 2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Frog
At least now they can tell Spider they tried ... Maybe he'll come back to the fold
There's always the possibility of next year when Spider is out of contract...

goswannie14
8th October 2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by sydfan83
Do the Hawks really think we're that stupid? Oh wait, we're the club that traded to end up with 4 draft picks between 50 and 70 in one of the weakest drafts in recent years. On second thoughts... ;)

Why does everyone...every year say this is the weakest draft in years????:confused: :confused: :confused:

They can't all be that bad

goswannie14
8th October 2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog

If I had a son in this draft I would have my fingers crossed he would go no.51 rather than whatever Hawthorn has. These young kids will be thrown straight into it like Deledio has been for Richmond. So much responsibility for such young bodies and minds.

I seem to remember one of the best Essendon has had in recent years started playing in the seniors at 15. Tim Watson didn't seem to struggle with the pressure and responsibility. What has changed in the lst 10-20 years???

Jeffers1984
8th October 2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
If it were a possibility next year, then it would be for players not draft picks. We should not trade our draft picks next year, the draft is going to be that good.

ugg
8th October 2005, 12:08 PM
More details from The Oz (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16848753%255E2722,00.html)

Snowy
8th October 2005, 01:36 PM
It was suggested in the Hun that Hawks are unhappy that the Swans alleged they were prepared to be in a last minute deal and might take action. But Ireland said Doyle and Ericksen were offered after Hawks showed some interest in brokering a deal.

Butch
8th October 2005, 02:37 PM
Good news. We never had the picks or players to pull off anything substantial. I am glad we kept our GF side and reckon that yet again Roosy has chosen wisely with the picks of Richards and Chambers.

With continued development of the rookie list and up-and-comers like Malceski, Moore and Vogels I can see us going for youth next year.

Rizzo
8th October 2005, 03:14 PM
Next season is Doyle's do or die year. I doubt another club would take a punt if he breaks down again. Good luck to the big fella.

anne
8th October 2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
Next season is Doyle's do or die year. I doubt another club would take a punt if he breaks down again. Good luck to the big fella. How many years have we been hearing that?

big bear
8th October 2005, 07:47 PM
Have we approached Barry Round. Next year Spida probably has one more year left in him. We would hope our young ruckman develop and have many years of footy ahead of them. If this is not the case we should seek a younger player than Everitt. We should not become a half way house to retirement.

graystar
8th October 2005, 07:56 PM
If this is not the case we should seek a younger player than Everitt. We should not become a half way house to retirement.
Thats what I thought. I dont want some old bloke jumping on the back of the bus. Jolly deserves to be No1 ruckman next year - and then have chambers build-up over the season.

goswannie14
9th October 2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by graystar
Thats what I thought. I dont want some old bloke jumping on the back of the bus. Jolly deserves to be No1 ruckman next year - and then have chambers build-up over the season.

I hope that chambers comes good. I was only suggesting Everitt cos he would have been a good replacement for Bally...The way he is playing who knows how many years he has left?

big bear
9th October 2005, 07:45 PM
I hope that chambers comes good. I was only suggesting Everitt cos he would have been a good replacement for Bally...The way he is playing who knows how many years he has left?

I think your last 6 words sums up the issue. How many years does he have left? If we took him next year obviously 1 less. I feel this is not a wise investment for the future of our club.

punter257
9th October 2005, 07:50 PM
and if he does come next year he's gonna demand a massive salary and i think its unfair on some other blokes who deserve more cash

Nico
9th October 2005, 08:01 PM

When Roosey took over the club he said he was going to teach players how to play the game. Appears he has had some success with that (WE WON THE FLAG) so if his past successes mean anything Chambers should be something special.

goswannie14
9th October 2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Nico
When Roosey took over the club he said he was going to teach players how to play the game. Appears he has had some success with that (WE WON THE FLAG) so if his past successes mean anything Chambers should be something special. Excellent point...I can't argue with that...after all Roosey is a PREMIERSHIP COACH:D