PDA

View Full Version : Troy Luff Medal - Rounds 1 and 2

Charlie
7th October 2005, 10:31 PM
Fellow RWOers, after much delay - and a little anticipation - it is my pleasure to finally bring you the first instalment of the Special 2005 Premiership Edition of the Troy Luff Medal.

The Troy Luff Medal began informally in 2002, with people posting their votes for player of the match on the board. Mid-season, these votes were then collected and the TLM was born. Since then, our three winners - Paul Williams in 2002, Adam Goodes in 2003 and Barry Hall in 2004 - have also been the Swans best and fairest winners, and have consistently polled well in media awards and the Brownlow Medal.

Will Brett Kirk, after two consecutive second place finishes, continue the trend of taking home both the Bob Skilton and Troy Luff Medals? Or will Barry Hall be the first player to win the TLM twice? Will Craig Bolton be honoured for his best season so far? How well will Jude Bolton, Amon Buchanan, Michael O'Loughlin, Ryan O'Keefe and Adam Goodes poll? We will find out over the next 13 nights.

The Swans premiership (it's such a beatiful word, isn't it?) season began at the SCG on Easter Sunday, against Hawthorn, the team widely expected to be wooden spooners. The round one match saw the very impressive club debut of Darren Jolly, who kicked three goals in a dominant display. Nick Davis was the star forward, kicking four, and Paul Williams was the midfield star in an even display. Hawthorn showed us what was to come for season 2005 in a very disappointing start for coach Alistair Clarkson. The game was never in doubt as the Swans wandered along to a 63 point victory.

The votes:
5. Darren Jolly
4. Nick Davis
3. Paul Williams
2. Craig Bolton
1. Leo Barry

Congratulations to all who polled votes, particularly Darren Jolly, with a best on ground performance in his first game in red and white.

The Swans were on top of the ladder when they travelled down the Hume to play the Kangaroos in Canberra in round two. Sadly, Sydney's performance didn't befit the league leaders, as they were overrun by the 'Roos in the last quarter. With the exception of Craig Bolton, who was brilliant in defence as he gathered a match-high 25 touches, the Swans had few winners. Inaccurate kicking (7.17) hurt as the Kangaroos, led by Shannon Grant (three goals) kicked 5.1 to three behinds in the last quarter to win by 23 points.

Votes:
5. Craig Bolton
4. Luke Ablett
3. Amon Buchanan
2. Paul Williams
1. Jarrad McVeigh

Congratulations to all who earned votes.

So, after round two, Craig Bolton is our early leader:
7 - Craig Bolton
5 - Darren Jolly, Paul Williams
4 - Nick Davis, Luke Ablett
3 - Amon Buchanan
1 - Leo Barry, Jarrad McVeigh

Join me tomorrow night as we look at the votes for the after the siren win against Brisbane in round three, and the disappointing seven goal loss to Adelaide in round four.

Charlie

Big Al
7th October 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Charlie

Will Brett Kirk, after two consecutive second place finishes, continue the trend of taking home both the Bob Skilton and Troy Luff Medals?

Charlie

No reason to think that the RWO family will not be good judges yet again and judge Kirky to be the medal winner.

Thanks for the review Charlie.

cruiser
7th October 2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Join me tomorrow night as we look at the votes for the after the siren win against Brisbane in round three, and the disappointing seven goal loss to Adelaide in round four.

Charlie
With pleasure. Anything to relive the wonderful season that was 2005. :D

satchmopugdog
7th October 2005, 11:45 PM
I consider this award is underestimated. I think that what the players are really thinking all season is..."Gee I hope I polled well in the Luffy this week"

BonBon
7th October 2005, 11:49 PM
Give me a holler when Ryano gets a vote.

stellation
8th October 2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by BonBon
Give me a holler when Ryano gets a vote.
Considering his start to the season... and 2 games a night... come back sometime next week.